Windows 10: Memory, Single or Dual Rank

Discus and support Memory, Single or Dual Rank in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Just looking for memory to upgrade my laptop, seen on Amazon that there's a kit, 2 x 16Gb and it's dual rank Not heard of this? Will it work just as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bjproc, Aug 19, 2019.

1. bjproc Win User

Memory, Single or Dual Rank

Just looking for memory to upgrade my laptop, seen on Amazon that there's a kit, 2 x 16Gb and it's dual rank

Not heard of this?
    Will it work just as well?

:)

bjproc, Aug 19, 2019
  2. Sihastru Win User

AMD A-Series "Kaveri" Performs Better with Dual-Rank DIMMs: Report

Are you sure you're not confusing "single/double data rate" and "single/dual rank"? Increasing the number of ranks per channel (a way to increase density per channel) will always decrease the measured speed of that channel, since the rank selection operation is always an extra step in accessing a certain address. So in this case the performance should decrease (very slightly). Single rank populated channels can skip this extra step, therefor should be faster then dual+ rank populated channels. Memory controllers these days are very efficient, so the single rank vs. dual rank channels should not be in any measurable way faster or slower. There must be something wrong with the way they tested or with the test platform.

Sihastru, Aug 19, 2019
  3. AddRAM Win User
    What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory?

Dual channel is always better then single.

RAM Performance Benchmark: Single-Channel vs. Dual-Channel - Does It Matter? | Gamers Nexus - Gaming PC Builds Hardware Benchmarks

Dual-channel vs. Single-channel, does it matter? - The NUC Blog

What's your memory assessment speed? - Windows 7 Help Forums

As others have said, it`s all in your head, the only way to prove it is to run winsat mem with 1 stick in single channel then 2 sticks in dual channel.

As far as booting from a usb stick, you have to choose it in the one time boot menu (not the bios) unless you go into the bios and list usb as the first boot option (you do not want to do that)

My settings

1) DVD drive
    2) Boot drive
    3) Disable
    4) Disable

etc
    etc
    etc

Any time you want to deviate just use the boot menu, as mentioned Memory, Single or Dual Rank :)

For example, If you want to boot into a Linux distro on a flash drive, just follow the above rule.

AddRAM, Aug 19, 2019
  4. Patriot Win User

AMD A-Series "Kaveri" Performs Better with Dual-Rank DIMMs: Report

Server side its easy to detect... as you mentioned the rank is listed on the module...
    Peasant dimms not so much. You would be lucky if it is listed in manufacturer spec.

Depending on the IMC... 2R could be faster but traditionally hasn't been. (is visualizing SSD and bandwidth per nand chip, more chips more bandwidth. But if same number of chips... )
    1t vs 2t ... now that makes a difference *Smile Memory, Single or Dual Rank :)

Now... Here is the issue with their test. It is 4 dimms vs 2. 4 dimms is slower than 2, even if they are SR vs 2x DR. Not very scientific. Let me clarify incase some of you want to jump on that. >1 dimm per channel slows things down.

If you are running Dual channel... you should run on 2 dimms for optimum performance. I might even place money that 2x SR would be faster than 2x DR... but that would depend on other factors like CAS and 1t vs 2t.

If you are on servers... you should use ECC for up to 1 dimm per channel and registered if you use >1 dimm per channel for optimum performance.

Patriot, Aug 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Memory, Single or Dual Rank - Similar Threads - Memory Single Dual

2. Dual monitor to single monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual monitor to single monitor: New HP Envy Win 11 Computer. Single display, fine. Dual display, extended, fine with cursor going from screen to screen as normal. Main: Asus Hdmi 24" monitor. Added an AOC USB 15" USB 3 monitor. Using on a receptionist desk and she needs to see, converse with customers with...
  3. Dual monitor to single monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual monitor to single monitor: New HP Envy Win 11 Computer. Single display, fine. Dual display, extended, fine with cursor going from screen to screen as normal. Main: Asus Hdmi 24" monitor. Added an AOC USB 15" USB 3 monitor. Using on a receptionist desk and she needs to see, converse with customers with...
  4. Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel: Hey everyone, I've got a situation with my old rig I couldn't make sense of. Asus p7p55d pro Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz 2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7-7-7 Dual Channel Nvidia GT 1030 Lately my PC has been unstable and crashed twice over the last 24 hours which never happened in...
  5. Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel

in Windows 10 Support
    Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel: Hey everyone, I've got a situation with my old rig I couldn't make sense of. Asus p7p55d pro Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz 2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7-7-7 Dual Channel Nvidia GT 1030 Lately my PC has been unstable and crashed twice over the last 24 hours which never happened in...
  6. software ranks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    software ranks: hey there can we have a kind of ranking for the newest software this year so we can get clear pick up list for the best ones?
  7. Memory, Single or Dual Rank

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Memory, Single or Dual Rank: Just looking for memory to upgrade my laptop, seen on Amazon that there's a kit, 2 x 16Gb and it's dual rank Not heard of this? Will it work just as well? 138781
  8. Hosting Ranks?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hosting Ranks?: Hello, If you don't live under a rock you have heard or you have bought a domain and a hosting plan @ GoDaddy The problem whit GoDaddy for me is this hosting is very expensive (Mexico) I am looking for alternatives Is there a Rank list of providers that offers hosting...
  9. Hosting Ranks?

in Windows 10 Support
    Hosting Ranks?: Hello, If you don't live under a rock you have heard or you have bought a domain and a hosting plan @ GoDaddy The problem whit GoDaddy for me is this hosting is very expensive (Mexico) I am looking for alternatives Is there a Rank list of providers that offers hosting...
  10. What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory?: Is 2 slots of memory in performance better than 1 slot using the same amount of RAM, e.g., 1 x 16 GBs of DDR3 Laptop Memory or 2 x 8 GB of DDR3? I think I know the obvious, 1 x 16 GB in 1 slot, correct? Also, I have seen some lower ended laptops - say with just a skylake...