Windows 10: Memory Usage

Discus and support Memory Usage in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I bought a new laptop two days ago. It is a DELL Inspiron 13 5000 13.3 inch 2 in 1 convertible touchscreen laptop. The CPU is an i3-7100U and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by paul01, Feb 7, 2018.

1. paul01 Win User

Memory Usage

Hi,

I bought a new laptop two days ago. It is a DELL Inspiron 13 5000 13.3 inch 2 in 1 convertible touchscreen laptop. The CPU is an i3-7100U and it has 4 GB RAM with a 1TB HDD. I noticed it can lag a bit when I open anything. Nothing has been downloaded onto the Laptop, I haven't even saved a file on it yet. So, I checked task manager and I noticed the memory usage consistently sits at around 60% when I have nothing open, not even an Internet browser. It moves up to 70% if I open chrome. Is this normal? I also noticed that there is 88 background processes running all the time. Is this normal and if so should I just add more RAM? I have also noticed that the Disk usage can shoot up to 100% sometimes.

:)

paul01, Feb 7, 2018
  2. rmaxh Win User

Why Windows 10 memory usage skyrockets out of nowhere?

The question was about memory usage, NOT CPU usage. I am having the same memory usage problem. A search online reveals that a lot of people are having the same problem. Please respond.

rmaxh, Feb 7, 2018
  3. Can I end my system and compressed memory NT Kernel & System

this task is high CPU usage .. and high memory usage

sengaloun sounthaly, Feb 7, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Memory Usage

My Windows Processes alone number 92 and there's lots of others, presently have 2 instances of Firefox open and several tabs in both. More RAM is always good as Windows likes to use as much as it can get. My computer has 16GB RAM. I don't care as much for "disk usage" as I do drive activity [usage can apply to the amount of data/file storage]. There are processes that read and write to/from the drive and part is due to Virtual Memory/paging file/swap file and part is due to an anti-virus or anti-malware programs doing their thing.

Berton, Feb 7, 2018
  5. zbook New Member
    Run this log collector and post a zip into this thread:
    log collector v2-beta08.zip

zbook, Feb 7, 2018
  6. Helmut Win User
    Yes, that's all normal. 4 GB is just not enough RAM.
    No point in running any analysis at all.
    I take the view that standard Laptops should not be produced at all with 4 GB of RAM as almost immediately they require upgrading.
    Buyer beware.

Helmut, Feb 8, 2018
  7. CountMike New Member
    Memory use percentage doesn't say it all, amount of RAM used is more important. Typical RAM use "when nothing is running" is 2.1 - 2.5GB. Laptops and brand name desktops come with too many applications running at start time and keep on running even when not used. It would be best to find which ones you actually want to use and get rid of other ones. That should ease up RAM usage. Those are not using only RAM but also "steal" CPU cycles and disk space and lower all round performance.

CountMike, Feb 8, 2018
  8. Bat 1 Win User

Memory Usage

I see that Model comes with McAfee Livesafe. If you activated that Bloatware, download the removal tool from McAfee and kill it immediately.

Bat 1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Memory Usage

1. Memory Usage - Similar Threads - Memory Usage

2. High memory RAM Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High memory RAM Usage: Hey there guys, there is high memory RAM usage when no apps/Programs are running on my PC... why ? And how to fix it ?...Please help... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-memory-ram-usage/d677cec5-bf79-412a-8640-31242e8e3bbc
  3. High memory RAM Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High memory RAM Usage: Hey there guys, there is high memory RAM usage when no apps/Programs are running on my PC... why ? And how to fix it ?...Please help... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-memory-ram-usage/d677cec5-bf79-412a-8640-31242e8e3bbc
  4. My laptop is idling at 65% memory usage, but all the programs seem legit. How can I reduce...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop is idling at 65% memory usage, but all the programs seem legit. How can I reduce...: Good evening, I have noticed that recently my computer fan does not turn off and wanted to check to see why. It appears that my Memory usage is extremely high literally all the time. I grabbed some screenshots of task manager and resource monitor, but all of the programs seem...
  5. My laptop is idling at 65% memory usage, but all the programs seem legit. How can I reduce...

My laptop is idling at 65% memory usage, but all the programs seem legit. How can I reduce...: Good evening, I have noticed that recently my computer fan does not turn off and wanted to check to see why. It appears that my Memory usage is extremely high literally all the time. I grabbed some screenshots of task manager and resource monitor, but all of the programs seem...
  6. Windows 11 Pro RAM not releasing complete memory on exit - takes 30GB memory in 2-3 days usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro RAM not releasing complete memory on exit - takes 30GB memory in 2-3 days usage: Windows 11 Pro is not releasing program from memory and in 2-3 days usage it reaching total 26GB out of 27GB memory on AMD 8600G MSI PRO B650MP + 32GB DDR5I tried RAMMap and understand that each existing process reference is kept in process memory with size between 24K to...
  7. Windows 11 Pro RAM not releasing complete memory on exit - takes 30GB memory in 2-3 days usage

Windows 11 Pro RAM not releasing complete memory on exit - takes 30GB memory in 2-3 days usage: Windows 11 Pro is not releasing program from memory and in 2-3 days usage it reaching total 26GB out of 27GB memory on AMD 8600G MSI PRO B650MP + 32GB DDR5I tried RAMMap and understand that each existing process reference is kept in process memory with size between 24K to...
  8. Why is my memory usage so high but I have nothing open?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my memory usage so high but I have nothing open?: I have been having this problem for about a year now. I have an Alienware Aurora R9 Windows 11 PC with 32gb of ram but even with everything closed, it's using 31.8gb. I have already scanned for viruses. Any game that I try to play has frequent lag spikes....
  9. Why is my memory usage so high but I have nothing open?

Why is my memory usage so high but I have nothing open?: I have been having this problem for about a year now. I have an Alienware Aurora R9 Windows 11 PC with 32gb of ram but even with everything closed, it's using 31.8gb. I have already scanned for viruses. Any game that I try to play has frequent lag spikes....
  10. Why is my memory usage so high but I have nothing open?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging