Windows 10: merge primary partitions

Discus and support merge primary partitions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have three partitions on this device. I want to merge two of them into one. The partitions are the system restore partition, a Windows 7 boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NorthernTiger, Jan 19, 2019.

1. merge primary partitions

I have three partitions on this device. I want to merge two of them into one. The partitions are the system restore partition, a Windows 7 boot partition, and a Windows 10 boot partition.

merge primary partitions 13052afa-2a59-4336-8e71-f4f957d1f132?upload=true.png

If I select the Windows 7 boot partition ('OS') and try to delete it so that I can free up the space and then expand the Windows 10 boot partition ('Win10') to fill the space, the 'delete' option in Disk Management is greyed out. Even though I am booted into Win10, apparently the system thinks that the Win7 partition is the system partition and it cannot be removed. The system restore partition ('New Volume') can be deleted, but that causes the system to have severe problems with the BCD. I had to use a Windows install volume to rebuild the BCD as the device crashed and would not reboot if New Volume was deleted.

I have Win 7 Ultimate with current updates on the Windows 7 partition and Win 10 Pro with current updates on the Windows 10 partition.

I have two complete backups, a whole-disk clone made with Acronis True Image 2018 and a standard backup made with Acronis True Image 2018, to two separate external 1 TB drives.

I have a bootable Win 10 USB device. I also have a bootable Win 7 DVD.

The device shipped with a hard drive split into a system boot partition, currently labeled 'OS', with Win 7 Home Premium, which was updated to Win 7 Ultimate, plus a data partition. I used Laplink PCMover to copy the OS items over to the data partition and update it to Win 8, then Win 8.1, then Win 10, so just about everything important on the Win 7 partition is on the Win 10 partition, too. I would like to just kill the Win 7 partition and expand the Win 10 partition. How do I do this?

:)

NorthernTiger, Jan 19, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jan 19, 2019
  3. blaughon Win User
    Merging Unallocated Space with Primary Partition

After I free upgraded from 8.1 to 10 a new partition showed up. I just deleted it and it became unallocated space.

How can I merge this space with my primary partition. Both are on a 256 SSD.

When I right click C: in disk management, the extend volume choice is grayed.

Thanks

blaughon, Jan 19, 2019
  4. foxslink Win User

merge primary partitions

Cant merge Partitions

Hi folks,
    i was trying to merge a partition to another one but i couldnt, it said i didnt have GPT or that i dont have enough space to extend it, does anyone know why? there is only 1 unallocated partition im trying to merge into another partition that has files, the idea is to keep the files intact. i tried deleting it then using the extend function but nada. pls help

foxslink, Jan 19, 2019
Thema:

merge primary partitions

1. merge primary partitions - Similar Threads - merge primary partitions

2. Merging Partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Merging Partitions: So here is my issue. Windows is on my C drive, which is normal and good. What I want before I start to put stuff on the D and E drive, is for them not to be partitioned. No matter what I do, I can't seem to merge E with the two extra parts it has, nor can I merge D with the...
  3. Merging Partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Merging Partitions: So here is my issue. Windows is on my C drive, which is normal and good. What I want before I start to put stuff on the D and E drive, is for them not to be partitioned. No matter what I do, I can't seem to merge E with the two extra parts it has, nor can I merge D with the...
  4. Merging Partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Merging Partitions: Hello, I was transferring data from one SSD to another with a larger capacity and everything went great. When I went to Disk Management to see if Windows had detected the larger storage I saw that it was there but just unformatted. [ATTACH] I don't want to create a separate...
  5. Merge Partitions

Merge Partitions: Every time i backup with Macrium i keep seeing 3 partitions on C: everything works fine and backs up no problems can i merge the third part with the second part as it looks lost and with a none indication i assume it is doing nothing. I think it was a left over from upgrading...
  6. how to make unallocated space merge with the primary partition

how to make unallocated space merge with the primary partition: Hello in the pic I have a drive that I intend to clone to a larger drive. Now I am guessing that the clone will have some unallocated space on it and if that unallocated space is situated behind the recovery partition how do I move it into the primary partition making C:...
  7. how to make unallocated space merge with the primary partition

in Windows 10 Support
    how to make unallocated space merge with the primary partition: Hello in the pic I have a drive that I intend to clone to a larger drive. Now I am guessing that the clone will have some unallocated space on it and if that unallocated space is situated behind the recovery partition how do I move it into the primary partition making C:...
  8. Merging partitions

Merging partitions: I just upgraded my main windows 10 drive from 250 to 500 GB by cloning the drive. How do I merge the un-allocated portion with the active portion so Windows sees the full capacity of the drive??...
  9. Merging partitions.

Merging partitions.: [img] I'm trying to do something with the mini partition wizard that is raved about on this site. The FACTORY IMAGE D above is useless to my computer now that I have been on Windows 10 Home (latest build) and Windows 10 so graciously dropped a 449MB Recovery Partition...
  10. Merging Unallocated Space with Primary Partition

Merging Unallocated Space with Primary Partition: After I free upgraded from 8.1 to 10 a new partition showed up. I just deleted it and it became unallocated space. How can I merge this space with my primary partition. Both are on a 256 SSD. When I right click C: in disk management, the extend volume choice is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. merge primary partitions

2. can you have two primary partitions

3. how to merge new volume with primary partition

4. windows merge second partition to primary,
  5. how to merge to primary partitions in windows,
  6. how to merge two primary partitions