Windows 10: Merging files and folders

Discus and support Merging files and folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I thought I might number my steps to make it less confusing, I hope so anyway. I'd started using OneDrive to store folders until I ran out of space.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tamy K, May 9, 2019.

1. Tamy K Win User

Merging files and folders

I thought I might number my steps to make it less confusing, I hope so anyway.

1. I'd started using OneDrive to store folders until I ran out of space.
    2. Then I started using Google Drive, so I moved my files over until I saw that DropBox was promoting a lot of space for free. It was also being used by teachers at the school I was attending.
    3. So instead of using both for storage I went ahead and updated my files using DropBox.
    4. After they ended the promotion they took the space back to 2.5mg and stopped updating changes I thought I was making.
    5. Since I hadn't removed my files from Google Drive and they were offering 15Gb between the Drive and things like their email and other apps, I moved back and moved my Dropbox files over.

------------------------------------

1. So now here I am. Between all of those moves, somehow files really got screwed up especially after the last one.
    2. I've got all of these duplicate folders, but they aren't completely duplicated.
    3. I don't know how in the least, but some of the folders ended up partially empty or even completely empty.
    4. Some of the files ended up duplicating into other non-related folders.
    5. I have about 52 different folders categorized.
    6. Then I have more folders within folders. (I'm kind of OCD when organizing).
    7. Obviously, I have too many files and folders to go through them one by one and then copy/paste them all into the correct folders and trying to make sure that I don't erase the wrong ones.
    8. Some of the files are even in triplicate. Because of all of this, I've reached the 15mg max and need to cut it back somehow so I can start saving files again. I'm really hoping someone can help me with this in a way that's not too complicated.

:)

Tamy K, May 9, 2019
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Merging files and folders :)

Frogger, May 9, 2019
  3. Jason Win User
    WIndows 10, copy/merge folder dialog option backwards?

Steps to Reproduce

• Set Windows Explorer Options to "Hide folder merge conflicts" unchecked
    • Create a folder called folderA
    • Create a folder called folderB
    • Copy folderA to folderB
    • Move folderA to folderB

Actual

• Nothing happens

Now try this:

• Set Windows Explorer Options to "Hide folder merge conflicts" checked
    • Create a folder called folderA
    • Create a folder called folderB
    • Copy folderA to folderB
    • Move folderA to folderB

Actual

• The merge dialog appears

QUESTIONS:

• Shouldn't setting "Hide folder merge conflicts" to be unchecked mean that the dialog should appear, rather than the opposite?
    • If there is a merge conflict, is is normal for it to fail silently?

Jason, May 9, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Add or Remove Folders from This PC in Windows 10  

Without changing the owner and permissions of the keys in steps 1 and 2, the .reg files will not be able to fully merge, and those keys will not be changed. Those keys are responsible for the folders showing in the navigation pane if you open the folder pinned to Quick access or Start list.

Brink, May 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Merging files and folders - Similar Threads - Merging files folders

2. Merge several file history folders

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Merge several file history folders: My computer was saving my file history backup on a external drive and I have 3- Six month folders that won’t have many changes and they are each 1.4+Tb. Is there a way to merge/combine them into 1 folder with only 1 copy of each file? I am no longer having windows save file...
  3. Merge several file history folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Merge several file history folders: My computer was saving my file history backup on a external drive and I have 3- Six month folders that won’t have many changes and they are each 1.4+Tb. Is there a way to merge/combine them into 1 folder with only 1 copy of each file? I am no longer having windows save file...
  4. Merge several file history folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Merging 2 folders while retaining the latest files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Merging 2 folders while retaining the latest files.: Sorry, I know there is a lot in the Community about this need, but I found a lot of the information a little outdated or just old. I have 2 situations and I have 2 questions.I have 2 LARGE Document-type folders 20 & 25 GB each, 40K & 50K files each, 600+ sub-folders each. The...
  6. Merging 2 folders while retaining the latest files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Merging 2 folders while retaining the latest files.: Sorry, I know there is a lot in the Community about this need, but I found a lot of the information a little outdated or just old. I have 2 situations and I have 2 questions.I have 2 LARGE Document-type folders 20 & 25 GB each, 40K & 50K files each, 600+ sub-folders each. The...
  7. Merged User folder and Download folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Merged User folder and Download folder: What I did is i merged my download folder with my hp folderI decided to move my download folder from c to d drive so i did that later i decided to move it back to its orignal place but i accidently merged them. After seeing from many web site and youtube they said me that in...
  8. Merge Document Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Merge Document Folders: Runing Win 10 1909 I have the normal Documents folder in Local Disc C:\users/owner/documents. I also have created a Documents folder in another drive E. I want to move the content on E to the other Documents folder. What is the correct procedure so I don't lost any links to...
  9. Merged Downloads Folder with Users Folder.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Merged Downloads Folder with Users Folder.: So I accidentally merged the Downloads folder with my Users folder. I've tried the registry fix to no avail. I don't really want to do a fresh install but it appears I may have to. Any help? Thanks submitted by /u/IrishDejent [link] [comments]...
  10. Merging folders and files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Merging folders and files: I have recently installed windows 10. I have 3 hard drives and move and update many files and folders between the drives. Windows 10 wont let me do this. What am I doing wrong ?...