Windows 10: Messaging to the other computer on home network

Discus and support Messaging to the other computer on home network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I need the Win 10 home syntax to send a text message to my wife's laptop. Her computer name isasus_laptop and mine is jack-pc. We're both on the home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Deuxdad, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Deuxdad Win User

Messaging to the other computer on home network

I need the Win 10 home syntax to send a text message to my wife's laptop. Her computer name isasus_laptop and mine is jack-pc. We're both on the home network. Not sure what other information is needed. Also not sure if the command is NET or NET SEND. Both seem to be viable.

My computer is cabled to the router and hers uses WIFI although hers is usually cabled to a WIFI extender plugged into an electrical outlet.

TIA

:)

Deuxdad, Jul 25, 2020
  2. taward Win User

One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Jul 25, 2020
  3. billyjk Win User
    Can't See Other PC's On Home Network

I need to connect two laptops on my home network via WiFi, one of which has a printer attached via USB that I need to share. I read this recent post from Yertiz on the same issue. I followed the tutorial here on this forum, and then the suggestions in Yertiz's post. I still can't get things to work - I can't see the other computer from either computer in File Manager, and entering the path to the other computer doesn't seem to work either.

Both laptops are Win10 Home Edition, 1909, with the latest available updates. I did everything Yertiz did:

• SMB 1.0 is checked with automatic removal unchecked.
    • Use sharing wizard is checked
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication and Function Discovery Provider Host services are both running and set to start automatically
    • Network discovery is on for both private and public networks
    • File and printer sharing is on for both private and public networks
    • Public folder sharing is on
    • Password protected sharing is off
    • 128 bit encryption is on

One thing I can't find on either laptop is the SMB Direct setting - it's nowhere to be found. Is this the snag?

The WiFi network at home is fast and stable, although I don't know if there are any router settings that are a blocker for connecting on my home network.

Is there another tutorial that I need to reference? Any other tricks/tweaks?
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    -bjk

billyjk, Jul 25, 2020
  4. rss81 Win User

transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, Jul 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Messaging to the other computer on home network - Similar Threads - Messaging computer home

2. Windows networking - how to network to other home computers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows networking - how to network to other home computers?: None of the userIDs & passwords I try will work. What userid & PW should I use to access my laptop from my desktop? When I do a share of a folder it does not ask me which password I should use to connect remotely - just the name of a user....
  3. Windows networking - how to network to other home computers?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows networking - how to network to other home computers?: None of the userIDs & passwords I try will work. What userid & PW should I use to access my laptop from my desktop? When I do a share of a folder it does not ask me which password I should use to connect remotely - just the name of a user....
  4. Cannot access other computers on my home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access other computers on my home network: This is driving me nuts. We have 9 Windows 10 computers in our home all connected to the same network. All of our computers except just one can see and access all the other computers on our home network. I've tried everything I can think of. I recently changed all the...
  5. new computer can't see others on the home network

new computer can't see others on the home network: My new computer cannot see the other computers on the wifi network. But the others can see the new computer. All are on the same workgroup. File sharing and network discovery are all enabled on all computers. folders sharing on all are set to "everyone - read and write"...
  6. Home Network seeing other computer/devices

Home Network seeing other computer/devices: I just installed windows 10 pro it isn't showing any of my other computers or printers 3 in total except for 1 and my Dlinks drive. One printer is connected by a 1 usb port print server the other is connected by way of the net drive (d-links) and other is connect thru...
  7. See Other Computer on Home Network

See Other Computer on Home Network: Tried seems everything. One computer on home network can see and access public folders of the other 4 computers. But, other 4 computers cannot do same. All are running updated Windows 10. All sharing and network discovery turned on. Went out to command prompt as...
  8. Cannot see other computer shares on home network

Cannot see other computer shares on home network: I just re-installed Windows 10 clean on my wife's computer. Network Discovery is turned on but I cannot see other computers on my home network. When I enter the UNC path to any network share I get the following: "You don't have permission to access the share". This...
  9. Laptop no longer connects to other computers on home network

Laptop no longer connects to other computers on home network: We have 2 desktops and one laptop all running windows 10. I had to do a Windows reset on the laptop a few days ago after installing Malawarebytes 3 trial version. Since then, I haven’t been able to connect the laptop to either of the PC’s, or the PC’s to the laptop. The PC’s...
  10. Still a way to send messages to other computers on the network?

Still a way to send messages to other computers on the network?: I recall years ago with XP I could send messages to other computers on the network. It would appear as a black box. What I don't recall is how this was accomplished. Is this still available with Windows 10? I have the Pro version. Also, if it is available, will it only...