Windows 10: Messed the boot of my Win10 when I tried to clone my old HHD to replace it with new SSD

Discus and support Messed the boot of my Win10 when I tried to clone my old HHD to replace it with new SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I've tried to clone my old HDD to a new SSD I've used the app "MiniTool Partition" and followed the process of "Migrate OS to SDD" Note that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tksm2, Nov 15, 2020.

1. tksm2 Win User

Messed the boot of my Win10 when I tried to clone my old HHD to replace it with new SSD

Hello,

I've tried to clone my old HDD to a new SSD

I've used the app "MiniTool Partition" and followed the process of "Migrate OS to SDD"

Note that I had both disks connected within the tower of the pc with SATA cables during process as the SSD is an internal one

As I can see the disks after the process were identical but I couldn't boot with the new SSD.

the only difference that I notice and I don't know how important is, is that the System partition in new Disk1 is not first in line as I was expecting it's the first partition in the old one. If the drives are in theory identical, how that happened and how important is?

After experimenting with active partitions, obviously, I've messed something up and now I have:

the old disk0 "C:" with the Active & Boot" partition and

the new disk1 "H:" disk the "Active & System" partition!!

The result is that I cannot boot my pc if not both disks are present!!

I haven't change anything in files within the disks but I've changed in disk management the active partition of the old disk0. Even when I reversed the change the boot of the old disk0 couldn't be restored.

I have tried with both disks individually connected to fix the boot issue with the "Recovery Disk" that I had prepared with no result.

I "played" with "Autorepair" and diskpart and changed the active partitions in both drives individually connected. Nothing worked!

I haven't tried to fix MBR as suggested in "internet solutions" as 1 I am not sure in which disk I should perform the fix and 2 I am afraid to make things worse and not be able to boot my pc at all! Also I don't think that MBR needs to be fixed.

In any case these are the command orders I found to fix MBR

bootrec /FixMbr
    bootrec /FixBoot
    bootrec /ScanOs
    bootrec /RebuildBcd

So, below I have the messages during boot process when I'm trying to boot only with theold HDD:

Messed the boot of my Win10 when I tried to clone my old HHD to replace it with new SSD [​IMG]

and this is the message blue screen I receive with thenew SSD:

sorry for the language setting..but you get the idea

Messed the boot of my Win10 when I tried to clone my old HHD to replace it with new SSD [​IMG]

The obvious target is to make both disks individually bootable but for sure it will be also great if at least one of them can be fixed!

This is the present status of my disks:

Messed the boot of my Win10 when I tried to clone my old HHD to replace it with new SSD da978d9d-7fd4-4632-b427-1bfba1fe53ec?upload=true.jpg

I don't have an expert knowledge so I don't want to experiment further and lose the ability to boot.

I want to believe that the solution is very simple but even if I have to re-install the windows to a clear state, I am not sure that the boot issue and the different partitionsin different disks will be fixed. I am not sure also that the files that are stored in both disks will not be deleted from both if I select to reset Windows.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

:)

tksm2, Nov 15, 2020
  2. MafaH Win User

Deleting file after cloning HHD to new SSD

Hi my name is Matt. I've just cloned my HHD containing my OS ( windows 10) to a new SSD

All I want on my SSD is the necessary files for windows 10 to boot and have all installed application on my HHD

I am wondering, is it safe to delete EVERYTHING from program files and program files x86 from the cloned SSD?

Does windows have any important files in program files and program files x86 or are these folder only used for a user's application?

Many thanks for any responses Messed the boot of my Win10 when I tried to clone my old HHD to replace it with new SSD :)

Edit:

An other random question, since I now boot my windows off a SSD, how can I delete all windows files off my old HDD. In other word only have the one bootable drive

this is what I am trying to achieve:

Before installing SSD:

HHD with OS and games

After installing SSD:

HHD - games

SSD - OS

I've cloned my HHD so now my SSD has the windows files ( which i need) but has a load of duplicated files from the old HHD e.g. games ( that I don't want)

MafaH, Nov 15, 2020
  3. MafaH Win User
    Deleting file after cloning HHD to new SSD

I wasn't able to do a clean fresh install of windows 10 onto my SSD with out me having to reinstall a terabyte of games again. That's why I cloned my HHD.

I understand that there are some files that shouldn't be delete however is it ok to delete them if they aren't on my system drive?

In theory I want my old HHD just to be storage device, no windows file on it

MafaH, Nov 15, 2020
  4. Messed the boot of my Win10 when I tried to clone my old HHD to replace it with new SSD

Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Hi,

I'm not using the SATA ports. I'm using M.2 with the SSD, and the external SSD is connected to my PC using USB. My MB only has only one M.2 socket, so I can only plug in one SSD at a time. (I bought a wrong adapter that doesn't work with NVMe) So I cloned
    my old SSD to an external SSD (Samsung M3 Portable SSD), and then swapped the old one, cloned the external SSD to my new SSD.

I tried AOMEI too, but the free version does not come with disk clone functions. I would probably try Macrium Reflect as suggested above. Thank you!

allenyao09, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

Messed the boot of my Win10 when I tried to clone my old HHD to replace it with new SSD

1. Messed the boot of my Win10 when I tried to clone my old HHD to replace it with new SSD - Similar Threads - Messed boot Win10

2. After cloning old hhd to a new ssd, why can't I load windows11 updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After cloning old hhd to a new ssd, why can't I load windows11 updates?: I used Macrium Reflect to clone my old hhd to a newly added ssd. Afterwards, when I tried to load a windows11 update, I got a message that said, we couldn't update the system reserve partition. How can I fix this?...
  3. After cloning old hhd to a new ssd, why can't I load windows11 updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After cloning old hhd to a new ssd, why can't I load windows11 updates?: I used Macrium Reflect to clone my old hhd to a newly added ssd. Afterwards, when I tried to load a windows11 update, I got a message that said, we couldn't update the system reserve partition. How can I fix this?...
  4. Disk partition after cloning my hhd to a ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk partition after cloning my hhd to a ssd: I have cloned my Windows 10 from hhd drive to an ssd one and now I have two partitions:C: 446.11gb NTFS Healthy system, boot, page file, active, crsah dump, primary partitionNew Volume D: 1.02 GB NTFS Healty Primary partition.I don't know if it's good or not. Also I can't...
  5. Disk partition after cloning my hhd to a ssd

Disk partition after cloning my hhd to a ssd: I have cloned my Windows 10 from hhd drive to an ssd one and now I have two partitions:C: 446.11gb NTFS Healthy system, boot, page file, active, crsah dump, primary partitionNew Volume D: 1.02 GB NTFS Healty Primary partition.I don't know if it's good or not. Also I can't...
  6. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop: I have a Lenovo laptop running on Windows 10. I am planning to replace the the hard drive from HDD to SSD to enhance the speed. My question is, How can i transfer the existing OS from the HDD to the new SSD using the back-up file?...
  7. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop: I have a Lenovo laptop running on Windows 10. I am planning to replace the the hard drive from HDD to SSD to enhance the speed. My question is, How can i transfer the existing OS from the HDD to the new SSD using the back-up file?...
  8. Replacing old HDD with the new SSD for my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Deleting file after cloning HHD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting file after cloning HHD to new SSD: Hi my name is Matt. I've just cloned my HHD containing my OS windows 10 to a new SSD All I want on my SSD is the necessary files for windows 10 to boot and have all installed application on my HHD I am wondering, is it safe to delete EVERYTHING from program files and...
  10. Replace HHD with SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace HHD with SSD: I have a a computer that I want to install a ssd in and use the current hhd for the file storrage. The version of windows 10 when I bought my computer was 1903. I made a recovery USB for it and have not backed up any of the updates. If I put a ssd in and use my backup will...