Windows 10: Messed Up Changing the Location of the Downloads Folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Messed Up Changing the Location of the Downloads Folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi - this is my first post. I'd appreciate some help correcting an error I made in moving the system folders on my new laptop. I'm running Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Andman150, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Andman150 Win User

Messed Up Changing the Location of the Downloads Folder in Windows 10

Hi - this is my first post. I'd appreciate some help correcting an error I made in moving the system folders on my new laptop. I'm running Windows 10 Pro, version 1909. I created a Data partition (DMessed Up Changing the Location of the Downloads Folder in Windows 10 :) on the SSD. I want to move the system folders (Downloads, Documents, Music, etc.) to this partition as I had done on my old laptop. Unfortunately, I messed up moving the Downloads folder to the D drive. I forgot to first create a Downloads folder on the D drive and just entered the path D:/ . So it appears that the entire partition was set-up for Downloads. I attempted to reverse my steps by restoring the Downloads folder to it's original location, C:\Users\andre. I then created a Downloads folder in D: and went through the steps to change the location of the Downloads folder again. However, when I attempted to move the Documents folder over to the D drive, I get an error message "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected." I'm stuck and would appreciate some help. Thanks

:)

Andman150, Jun 20, 2020
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Jun 20, 2020
  3. Downloads folder lcation changing location disabled

The Shell Downloads folder is messed up, listed as My Downloads when no such Shell folder exists or should exist.

Restore the official Shell Downloads folder following this guide:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23504-resto...

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-20, Jun 20, 2020
  4. Messed Up Changing the Location of the Downloads Folder in Windows 10

Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jun 20, 2020
Thema:

Messed Up Changing the Location of the Downloads Folder in Windows 10

1. Messed Up Changing the Location of the Downloads Folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Messed Changing Location

2. Can't change downloads folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change downloads folder location: I reinstalled Windows 11 and I changed the location of my Downloads folder to OneDrive. I meant to changed it to OneDrive/Downloads, but mistakenly set it to my OneDrive. I am now unable to change the location in the Properties. Is there an alternative method?...
  3. Can't change downloads folder location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change downloads folder location: I reinstalled Windows 11 and I changed the location of my Downloads folder to OneDrive. I meant to changed it to OneDrive/Downloads, but mistakenly set it to my OneDrive. I am now unable to change the location in the Properties. Is there an alternative method?...
  4. changing the location of the downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    changing the location of the downloads folder?: I accidentally moved the downloads folder to disk d without creating any files, and the entire disk d became downloads.The problem is that the files in the d folder are included in the downloads folder and I cannot move them back to the c disk because there is no space. Even...
  5. changing the location of the downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    changing the location of the downloads folder?: I accidentally moved the downloads folder to disk d without creating any files, and the entire disk d became downloads.The problem is that the files in the d folder are included in the downloads folder and I cannot move them back to the c disk because there is no space. Even...
  6. Windows Update messed up my downloads folder.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update messed up my downloads folder.: My downloads folder looks completely different now that I updated my computer and I can't figure out how to get it back to normal. I have a picture of how it is now (Imgur Link), I don't have a picture of how it looked before, but it didn't have the "Today," "Earlier this...
  7. Changing downloads folder location

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing downloads folder location: I accidentally changed my downloads folder location to D:\ partition. I want to change it to a folder called DOWNLOADZ_NEW in D:\ partition, how do I do it? I'm using Windows 10 version 1909. (build 18363.628) This is how the downloads folder looks like in the left side...
  8. I messed up with my folder location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I messed up with my folder location: It's all started cause I want to relocate folder C:\Users\Asus\Documents to D:\ SO, I went to the Documents folder properties => location and changed it to D:\. I thought it would help, but instead, something horrible happened. As far as I understand, this Folder wasn't a...
  9. Download Folder View is mess up

in Windows 10 Support
    Download Folder View is mess up: I want my download folder view default. How to change it? Now it looks like this. [img] 134766
  10. Messed up downloads folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Messed up downloads folder: Hi. I was checking on Microsoft Edge and was trying to change it's default download location to my Desktop. Now I couldn't find anything and so after some google'ing I saw a guide that instructs me to change something on my Downloads folder by going...