Windows 10: Messed up desktop on resume from sleep/startup

Discus and support Messed up desktop on resume from sleep/startup in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm trying to help a friend with an odd ongoing issue. When waking up the computer after it has been a sleep for a while, the desktop come up looking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ChristianSchilling999, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Messed up desktop on resume from sleep/startup

I'm trying to help a friend with an odd ongoing issue. When waking up the computer after it has been a sleep for a while, the desktop come up looking extremely messed up -- it's like there are two of the same desktop icons stacked on each other but slightly offset, and the taskbar is showing the volume and power icons on both sides, with no start button or anything. It will fix itself with a reboot from the ctl-alt-del screen, but that's an annoying thing to have to do all of the time. Has anyone seen anything like this or have any ideas? I've seen a few posts with display issues when resuming from sleep, but didn't see anything quite like what I'm seeing on their computer.

:)

ChristianSchilling999, Feb 23, 2021
  2. BrooksyX Win User

Win7 Pro Laptop crashes when resumes from sleep

Ok almost positive it related to the wifi card/driver. If I disable it in the device manager my laptop sleeps and resumes just fine.

So I guess first step would to be try to find a different driver and if that doesnt work I guess I can replace it. Used mini pci-e wifi cards are pretty cheap.

BrooksyX, Feb 23, 2021
  3. GWRay Win User
    desktop hangs when resuming from sleep

Since upgrading to Win 10 from 8.1, Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop "hangs" when resuming from sleep.

Doesn't matter if I manually initiate sleep mode or if the power plan initiates sleep mode.

When in process of resuming from sleep the Computer Fan comes on and does not go off, monitors continue to appear sleeping.

Nothing else happens, the computer continues in this state until manually powered down.

I can't find anything in event viewer that indicates the cause.

Please advise.

Thank you.

GWRay, Feb 23, 2021
  4. Messed up desktop on resume from sleep/startup

Sleep mode resume

Hi Tyler,

Disabling some of the startup programs normally aids a slow response time when resuming from sleep mode. The concern you're experiencing may continue to happen due to some incorrect power settings. Aside from the steps mentioned above, may we know the specific
    procedures that you have tried to rectify the issue? You can also indicate other changes made on your device before this issue occurred.

Dhavelyn Mer, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

Messed up desktop on resume from sleep/startup

1. Messed up desktop on resume from sleep/startup - Similar Threads - Messed desktop resume

2. Desktop messed up on startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop messed up on startup: Hello,I've been having an issue with my desktop icons arrangement for a while. Normally, I never use a predefined sorting method such as by name, size, item type... and custom sort the desktop icons myself. It used to work normally: I sort the icons, and they stay where they...
  3. Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse not waking up when resuming from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse not waking up when resuming from sleep: I've been facing this issue for a while now regarding sleep mode. The PC enters sleep mode normally, but when I click the power button again to wake up the system, the keyboard and mouse stays off, and the monitor doesn't turn on. Everything inside the case turns on (fans,...
  4. Cannot resume from sleep / screensaver

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot resume from sleep / screensaver: Hi. I hope you can help me with regards to this constant issue I have been having. My laptop sometimes doesn't shut down fully or when it enters sleep mode or screensaver mode screen turns off, then the fans ramp up to constant maximum and no matter what I do, the screen...
  5. No wallpaper on resume from sleep screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    No wallpaper on resume from sleep screen: Windows 10 home with the anniversary update and all updates since on a Toshiba laptop. When I boot up from a complete shutdown, I get a wallpaper (1) on the screen and after I press enter the login screen appears with its wallpaper image. But, when I resume by lifting the...
  6. Wake up from sleep to desktop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Wake up from sleep to desktop: I recently had to reinstall Windows. I've never used a password on my desktop PC. I can boot to my desktop. But settings hides functionality without a password. So is there a way to get windows to wake from sleep directly to the desktop without one? Perhaps with a command?...
  7. Delayed resume from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Delayed resume from sleep: I installed an SSD in my laptop. Occasionally, when I resume from sleep mode, the computer becomes unresponsive. It does this for about 30 seconds. I can't remember if it was doing this before I installed the new drive. Today it's been doing it almost every time I open the...
  8. Resume from sleep issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Resume from sleep issue: Hi everyone. I had some trouble today with my computer. I seem to have fixed it, but thought I would share my experience to see if I can help others who may be having similar issues. System Specifications ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AMD FX-6300 4 GB 1333 mhz GSkill RAM...
  9. Problems with Instantly Resuming from Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Instantly Resuming from Sleep: Ok, I have a problem that (AFAIK) no one else on any of the forums (and forum sites) I have visited seem to having. As per the title, I am sure you can see that it is related to my laptop going to sleep. The Problem: My Dell XPS 15 (9550) seems to go to sleep properly...
  10. W10 slow to resume from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 slow to resume from sleep: I did a fresh install on a SSD not to long ago. The computer is running very smoothly for the most part. However, sometimes when I open the lid to my laptop, it is temporarily unresponsive for a minute or so when resuming from sleep mode. It's pretty annoying. I think it has...