Windows 10: Method of preventing W10 install USB drives from taking D:, E: etc.

Discus and support Method of preventing W10 install USB drives from taking D:, E: etc. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is quite frustrating. The Windows install assigns the first drive letter after C: to the USB drive it installs from. I want D:,E:,F: etc.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HastalaHasta, May 6, 2019.

1. Method of preventing W10 install USB drives from taking D:, E: etc.

This is quite frustrating. The Windows install assigns the first drive letter after C: to the USB drive it installs from. I want D:,E:,F: etc. available for secondary system drives without having to do 2-3 drive letter switches in Disk Management or unmounting the drive, as I usually have post install stuff to do with resources on it.

I've exhausted Google and everything.

Thank you!

:)

HastalaHasta, May 6, 2019
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, May 6, 2019
  3. Preventing 'System Volume Information' forming on USB sticks in W10

I can delete those folders, but the Registry and Policy methods suggested by a Google search for PREVENTING their formation do not work, so is there another effective way ? I want to emphasize that I want the prevention working for USB sticks - NOT USB Hard Drives.

Sebastian42, May 6, 2019
  4. Method of preventing W10 install USB drives from taking D:, E: etc.

little cat, May 6, 2019
Thema:

Method of preventing W10 install USB drives from taking D:, E: etc.

1. Method of preventing W10 install USB drives from taking D:, E: etc. - Similar Threads - Method preventing W10

2. Move the installed program for D drive to E drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move the installed program for D drive to E drive: Hello everyone,I installed some software on my D drive, however, now my C drive is full, and I want to extend it.That's why I need to move the data from my D drive to other drive, so I will have more space to extend the C drive.If the data inside the D drive is the normal...
  3. Move the installed program for D drive to E drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move the installed program for D drive to E drive: Hello everyone,I installed some software on my D drive, however, now my C drive is full, and I want to extend it.That's why I need to move the data from my D drive to other drive, so I will have more space to extend the C drive.If the data inside the D drive is the normal...
  4. Move the installed program for D drive to E drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Drive letter changed from D: to E:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive letter changed from D: to E:: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  6. Drive letter changed from D: to E:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive letter changed from D: to E:: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  7. Installation W10 from USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation W10 from USB drive: I haven HP laptop HP Pavilion g6 with BIOS InsydeH20 rev 3.5. I did not succeed to boot from USB drive for installing W10 Pro original license. I tried all alternatives and it seems that it does not support booting from USB drive. What alternatives do I have? Thanks....
  8. Fresh W10 Install on D: Drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh W10 Install on D: Drive?: so i have windows 10 installed on my c: drive but it has become unstable, even a reset and countless other "tricks" didn't fix the issues, so i've decided to just go ahead and do a clean install... as mentioned, it's installed on my c: drive but this time around i would like...
  9. Fresh W10 Install on D: Drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Fresh W10 Install on D: Drive?: so i have windows 10 installed on my c: drive but it has become unstable, even a reset and countless other "tricks" didn't fix the issues, so i've decided to just go ahead and do a clean install... as mentioned, it's installed on my c: drive but this time around i would like...
  10. D and E drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    D and E drives: Hi all, can anyone enlighten me as to why my D or E drives don't work, I want to copy some tracks onto my OC then burn them to another disc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/d-and-e-drives/6cf8b911-ce0d-4e4e-a023-019f7c54a140