Windows 10: Metro bootloader not working.

Discus and support Metro bootloader not working. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a dual boot system, 7x64 pro and 10x64 pro. Everything works fine if I use the Legacy bootloader. If I switch it to the metro bootloader, using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sqrly, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Sqrly Win User

Metro bootloader not working.

I have a dual boot system, 7x64 pro and 10x64 pro. Everything works fine if I use the Legacy bootloader. If I switch it to the metro bootloader, using EasyBCD, the system boots directly into W10 without ever showing a bootloader screen.

Metro bootloader not working. [​IMG]

Anyone have a clue how to fix this so the Metro bootloader functions properly?

:)

Sqrly, Jul 24, 2017

2. Windows 10 system files

I have resolved the issue by removing non system drives, ensuring both system and backup drives would boot either via Metro bootloader or independently. I reconnected the non system drives and was able to format as required.

Regards,

Steve

Photoman9876, Jul 24, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Pro Multi-OS Booting

This looks like exactly what I need but I have to check some things first. I need to be sure what and how the backup is and how it works. I also need to learn what the "Metro bootloader" is. I think I know but I need to be certain. I have Three Operating
    systems and really do not want to mess any of them up.

As usual, Thanks for your help.

Michael-Bereece, Jul 24, 2017
  4. Fafhrd Win User

From Windows 10 admin command prompt, issue the command:

bcdboot X:\windows

where X is the drive volume letter of the Windows 7 installation as viewed from Windows 10 file manager, in order to make sure that the Windows 7 boot drive entry is correctly registered in the BCD.

Next, issue the command:

bcdedit /set bootmenupolicy standard

to set the Modern Windows graphical boot menu.

You may need to edit the old boot entry for Windows 7 from the menu - EasyBCD can do this.

Personally, I find the Metro Bootmenu slow - since it takes you through an additional warm boot if you don't choose the default, and I always use the legacy text only boot menu, set with the command:

bcdedit /set bootmenupolicy legacy

Fafhrd, Jul 24, 2017
  5. Sqrly Win User
    windows 10 admin cmd prompt - check
    bcdboot G:\windows - check
    bcdedit /set bootmenupolicy standard - check

All that did was set my default from W10 to W7 and reset the time out from 5 back to 30 seconds. Still booted with the legacy bootloader.

It's like the Metro one vanished.

Sqrly, Jul 25, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    Are both systems on same or separate disks ?

CountMike, Jul 25, 2017
  7. Sqrly Win User
    Same physical disk.

Metro bootloader not working. [​IMG]

Sqrly, Jul 26, 2017
  8. Metro bootloader not working.

Had the same issue and was finally able to trace it to my graphics driver. Might want to try disabling your driver and then rebooting and see if the menu appears.

Boot Menu Issue Solved - Windows 10 Forums

There's the thread I started on it.

cyberrufus, Jul 26, 2017
  9. CountMike New Member
    Did you do it from W7 ?

CountMike, Jul 26, 2017
  10. Sqrly Win User
    Do what?

Assuming you mean capturing that image, then no.

Disabling my video drivers (the latest WHLQ Nvidia for my GTX 980ti) would not be worth it to use the metro boot loader UI. Actually, I probably won't use it if I do figure out why it doesn't work. It just triggers my ocd when something doesn't work right on my PC *Wink

Thanks for your input though, out of the box, I like that. I'll try booting up on the driver windows tosses in and see if it makes any difference.

Sqrly, Jul 26, 2017
  11. CountMike New Member
    Gpu driver has nothing to do with BOOT menu. EasyBCD makes menu in a BOOT partition and you have one for both OSs.

CountMike, Jul 26, 2017
  12. Sqrly Win User
    I see where your going but I believe EasyBCD is editing the MBR, not the boot sectors. When I select an OS from the boot menu it determines which boot sector to jump to, to continue booting the PC.

I can successfully change other settings with EasyBCD while on W10.

Sqrly, Jul 30, 2017
  13. Metro bootloader not working.

It was a bug that's resolved in build 16215.

cyberrufus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Metro bootloader not working. - Similar Threads - Metro bootloader working

2. Bootloader

in Windows 10 Support
    Bootloader: Hello I tried to create a USB external SSD portable Ubuntu. I followed the online instructions so as not to affect my bootloader. Guess what, it affected my bootloader . Without doing a clean install is there a way to restore the bootloader which is relatively...
  3. Clover Bootloader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clover Bootloader: Hiya, I am going to install clover bootloader whilst clean installing windows 10 for BIOS UEFI (but the BIOS UEFI are 32-Bit). So after I have set up the partitions (shift + F10 before installing windows) from command prompt - please note the automatic set up of partitions...
  4. TSF IME not working in metro Mode

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    TSF IME not working in metro Mode: I using the sample TSF code from MS website, it works fine for Desktop mode, but in metro mode or metro mode edit filed it won't work, I even write a log to show in each function entry, but nothing shows. any help will be appreciated!...
  5. metro exodus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    metro exodus: I've been playing the game for awhile. Made it to Caspian. Fun game. Problem is now it will not load. Goes through the intro, but it cuts out a second into the train sound and never makes it to the select screen. The screen goes black and crashes the computer. This is...
  6. Metro Bootloader

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Metro Bootloader: I just did a dual boot with windows 10 and windows 7 and all I get is the black and white bootloader. Before I partitioned my drive and installed windows 7 I had the Metro bootloader with my windows 10 and Macrium Reflect but after installing windows 7 on the new partition...
  7. Windows 10 bootloader not working

Windows 10 bootloader not working: I recently uninstalled ubuntu from my dual boot system and since then whenever I start my system System BootOrder not found. Initializing defaults. Reset System appears. Can anyone help? This keep repeating every 3-4 seconds. I can access boot menu and then windows...
  8. Start and Metro Apps are not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start and Metro Apps are not working: Hello.. I recently installed Windows 10 Home using the iso. It was fine but after sometime, the start and metro apps had stopped working. I thought that re-install would do the trick. So I reformatted C: and installed Windows 10 again hoping it wouldn't come again. But now...
  9. Nothing in Metro UI Works

in Windows 10 Support
    Nothing in Metro UI Works: Hi all Recently I started having a problem where after my computer is on for awhile, nothing that operates in the Metro UI will open or function at all. This includes the Start menu, any Windows 10 apps including Settings, Task View, the alt-tab interface, etc. I also...
  10. Multiple and unneeded boot devices on Metro Bootloader

Multiple and unneeded boot devices on Metro Bootloader: I didn't know which thread to post this topic in, thought this was the right one. Mods, if you think there is a more relevant thread to post this in, please make the necessary changes. Thank you. Onwards to my issue: I just recently decided to dual boot my UEFI-based...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows metro bootloader not working

2. metrobootloader issue in windows 10

3. easybcd metro bootloader not working

4. add images to metro bootloade,
  5. metro bootloader not working,
  6. metro bootloader not starting at boot