Windows 10: Mic works with Skype and Sound Recording, but not anywhere else

Discus and support Mic works with Skype and Sound Recording, but not anywhere else in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I'm facing a rather annoying and intriguing issue with my microphone. I'm currently running the latest Win10 build 2004, and I just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by aacury, Jun 29, 2020.

1. aacury Win User

Mic works with Skype and Sound Recording, but not anywhere else

Hi everyone,

I'm facing a rather annoying and intriguing issue with my microphone.

I'm currently running the latest Win10 build 2004, and I just can't get my mic to work with Google Meet, Xbox Game Bar, or even under Mic Settings!

In fact, it only works when I use Skype or Windows default recording.

I've tested with the built-in mic I've got an AIO desktop and with my headphones.

The drivers are updated, troubleshooting did not detect any problems, device manage either.

So...what the heck is going on???

:)

aacury, Jun 29, 2020

2. Sound Recorder isn't Working!

I have the same problem, only in my case the mic works fine with Skype only. The windows voice recorder is not recording any sound. The mic is also not working with Viber desktop or any other messenger app like the online FB messenger page. Any suggestions?

Omarvelling, Jun 29, 2020
  3. Sound Recorder isn't Working!

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To guide you In right direction we want to know:

-Are you using voice recorder or any other app to do so?

I would suggest you to try these methods and check if that helps:

Method 1:

Please run Recording Run Troubleshooter.

You may try to run the in-built Windows Recording Audio troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X..
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on Windows Recording Audio to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to use the sound recorder and check if you are able to record the sound.

• In the Windows Start screen, type “sound recorder”, then select Sound Recorder from the search results.
    • Try recording your voice through your microphone, then play it back. To do so, simply tap or click Start Recording, speak to the microphone, and then save the file so you can play the recording.

This will helps us to find out if the issue is with any online messenger like Skype or Windows.

I also suggest you to install the latest driver for Mic from the manufacturer’s website.

I also request you to refer the following link:

Sound Recorder app for Windows: FAQ

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/sound-recorder-app-faq

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jun 29, 2020
  4. Mic works with Skype and Sound Recording, but not anywhere else

Corsair Void Headset - No MIC Audio

I have a Corsair VOID USB gaming headset and for some reason since switching to Windows 10, I can't get the MIC to work. I can hear fine, but can't talk. It worked fine on Windows 7, and works fine on another computer.

I have the latest drivers and control software installed from Corsair, and if I really fiddle with it I am able to get the MIC audio to work in my DAW (Ableton Live 10 sound recording software), but it won't work anywhere else like Skype, which is really where I need it.

Any suggestions?

Gurn Blanston, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

Mic works with Skype and Sound Recording, but not anywhere else

1. Mic works with Skype and Sound Recording, but not anywhere else - Similar Threads - Mic works Skype

2. Microphone Only works in Skype. Nowhere else

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone Only works in Skype. Nowhere else: Hi,I have windows 11, and my microphone only works in Skype, nowhere else.I read another thread about this from 2020, but it didn't work for me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-only-works-in-skype-nowhere-else/eaaa4df1-6485-4c54-aee6-04a2ea622633
  3. Headset Mic not displayed in Sound: Recording!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headset Mic not displayed in Sound: Recording!: Hi, this may be confusing at first, but I will try my best to explain. I have been dealing with my mic volume being low on my laptop ASUS ROG STRIX 17.3” Gaming Laptop I went out and decided to buy a pair of headsets Onikuma K9 I plugged the headsets in and the mic will not...
  4. Microphone just working on Skype Not on whatsapp and Microsoft SOUND RECORDER

Microphone just working on Skype Not on whatsapp and Microsoft SOUND RECORDER: Hi, My mic isn't working on any app except skype. I am using a headset. The voice recording is shaking in any other app or WhatsApp voice messages on the web app. I tried troubleshooting, I tried recording sound through sound recorderwhich is same as whatsapp . I tried...
  5. microphone only works in skype but nothing else

microphone only works in skype but nothing else: Hi there, I am having a problem with windows recognizing my microphone. As the title suggests it can not be used for any application other than Skype have tried with Zoom, Camtasia, Audacity, and Discord. I am using an AT202 mic and a Behringer interface. They both appear...
  6. Why wont game bar record my mic audio? My mic works for everything else but this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why wont game bar record my mic audio? My mic works for everything else but this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BeefRamenMan [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/idu2ee/why_wont_game_bar_record_my_mic_audio_my_mic/
  7. Mic detected but doesn't record sound.

Mic detected but doesn't record sound.: Recently I decided to use my headset for recording purposes. I haven't used it in over 9 months until now. Everything connects and works normally except for the mic. It detects when the mic is plugged in, but doesn't record any audio. Please don't give me stereo typical "Mic...
  8. Skype Recording

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Skype Recording: I just did an interview and recording it and everything went well. I got the pop up in the chat that it was recorded and watched it back and it was all good. I downloaded it and it's in my drive, yet when I click on it to watch the recording it pops up with, "This file isn't...
  9. Cannot Click on Recording Devices, Sound Panel, Everything Else Working

Cannot Click on Recording Devices, Sound Panel, Everything Else Working: Hi guys, The title pretty much sums it up. When I go to "Sounds" and go to the recording tab it freezes the window and I have to either force close it through Device Manager or close it through the right -click menu on the taskbar (which I am glad I can as it has made...
  10. Skype App working for anyone else?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Skype App working for anyone else?: My Skype App has not worked at all since install. It asks if it can use my cam and mic, then says it is having a problem and I should Try Again. I've reported it twice. Any known solution? 2903