Windows 10: Microphone exclusively picking up static.

Discus and support Microphone exclusively picking up static. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I got a new cable for my microphone today, an AUX to XLR cable, (the original cable was a USB to XLR cable but the USB part ended up falling apart so i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Pyrolt, Apr 29, 2020.

1. /u/Pyrolt Win User

Microphone exclusively picking up static.

I got a new cable for my microphone today, an AUX to XLR cable, (the original cable was a USB to XLR cable but the USB part ended up falling apart so i bought an AUX to XLR instead.) and i tried testing the microphone with Audacity and Discord but both programmed picked up nothing but static and silence. I have tried updating/reinstalling drivers, trying all microphone ports on my PC as well as adjusting the device's settings but nothing seems to work. The PC detects the device but it just doesn't pick up anything. Any potential fixes or is the new cable just faulty?

submitted by /u/Pyrolt
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Pyrolt, Apr 29, 2020
  2. PPM1 Win User

Realtek Microphone only picks up static

I've had a my Acer Aspire V15 Nitro laptop for only 2 weeks now, and I only just tried the inbuilt microphone out to find it's acting up. Sometimes it only broadcasts static and the bars in the Sound panel are constantly grey. Sometimes, green bars appear
    when I tap the mics in the screen frame, and sometimes it works fine for an hour or two, only to malfunction again the next time I start my laptop. The microphone type is Realtek High Definition Audio, and Windows Troubleshooter keeps trying to troubleshoot
    it, but can find nothing wrong. My headset microphone works fine.

Things I have tried:

> Uninstalling/reinstalling the driver

> Checking that the microphone is not muted in the Sound settings + making sure it is set as default device.

>Uninstalling some previous Microsoft updates.

> Restarting my machine after most changes to drivers and installations.

> Putting Levels and microphone boost up to max

>Enabling/disabling stereomix

>Disabling all sound effects and turning off Exclusive Mode

>Letting apps use the microphone in System Settings

>Troubleshooting various drivers

> Making sure the driver is updated

I have had the suggestion of a complete system restore, but I don't know whether it's worth it just for the in-built mic when I have one on my headset. I also don't know if this is a Windows issue or an Acer issue. Any suggestions?

3. PPM1 Win User
    Realtek Microphone only picks up static

I've had a my Acer Aspire V15 Nitro laptop for only 2 weeks now, and I only just tried the inbuilt microphone out to find it's acting up. Sometimes it only broadcasts static and the bars in the Sound panel are constantly grey. Sometimes, green bars appear
    when I tap the mics in the screen frame, and sometimes it works fine for an hour or two, only to malfunction again the next time I start my laptop. The microphone type is Realtek High Definition Audio, and Windows Troubleshooter keeps trying to troubleshoot
    it, but can find nothing wrong. My headset microphone works fine.

Things I have tried:

> Uninstalling/reinstalling the driver

> Checking that the microphone is not muted in the Sound settings + making sure it is set as default device.

>Uninstalling some previous Microsoft updates.

> Restarting my machine after most changes to drivers and installations.

> Putting Levels and microphone boost up to max

>Enabling/disabling stereomix

>Disabling all sound effects and turning off Exclusive Mode

>Letting apps use the microphone in System Settings

>Troubleshooting various drivers

> Making sure the driver is updated

I have had the suggestion of a complete system restore, but I don't know whether it's worth it just for the in-built mic when I have one on my headset. I also don't know if this is a Windows issue or an Acer issue. Any suggestions?

4. Riel Alc Win User

Microphone issues

Hi Michael,

Here are the possible reasons why you're getting an error "The microphone did not pick anything up" when using it:

• Incorrect settings (microphone is not set as default device)
    • Corrupted or outdated driver
    • Faulty device

For us to isolate the issue, we'd like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made to your computer prior to this issue(e.g. Windows updates)?
    • Have you tried connecting other microphone to your computer?
    • Have you tried connecting the microphone to the other computer?

In the meantime, we suggest running the Recording Audio Troubleshooter to find and repair problems with recording sound. We also suggest checking if your microphone is set as your default recording device. For troubleshooting steps, please see
    Geethu B's on this
    link.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Apr 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Microphone exclusively picking up static. - Similar Threads - Microphone exclusively picking

2. Microphone picking up desktop audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone picking up desktop audio: so when i try and use a wired headset into my audio jack the desktop audio as well as my voice is registered HELP ME!! i have tried everything i clean reinstalled win 10 and 11 but nothing seemed to have resolver the issue i tried re downloading the drivers but still no luck...
  3. Microphone Detected but not picking up audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone Detected but not picking up audio: iv been having no problems untell this morning pc can see and interact with my built in mic and my head set mic but cant hear them all setting say there working and the mic troubleshooter only gives an error code 0x80004003i dont understand why my mic all the sudden dont work...
  4. Microphone picking up PC audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone picking up PC audio: I've been struggling with this for a long time and decided to post the question here. For some reason my microphone is picking up all of the audio from my pc. I have already tried a lot of things.Mix stereo is turned offThe microphone is not picking up physical sound from my...
  5. No Microphone is being picked up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No Microphone is being picked up: I have two microphones; one on a Razer headset, the other on an Oculus Rift CV1. I started a Discord call with a buddy and noticed the app wasn't picking up my headset mic. I went to Windows Settings and found that when I tested the mic, Windows didn't pick anything up from...
  6. Microphone only picking up static

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone only picking up static: I recently got a new computer and all I have for a mic/headphones is a cheap pair of headphones with an inline mic. I bought an adaptor so I can use my headphones for discord but when I plugged in the adaptor, all my friends can hear is static when I talk. I can also hear the...
  7. Microphone Picking Up Headset Audio

Microphone Picking Up Headset Audio: Hi, I am using a headset with microphone and when playing any games online friends have informed me that they can hear my game audio and themselves talking from my microphone. I have also tested to play music and mute the mic, via the physical switch on the headset, and...
  8. Microphone only plays "static", nothing is being picked up anymore

Microphone only plays "static", nothing is being picked up anymore: I own a Razer D.Va headset, which worked perfectly fine with my old laptop. As I recently got a custom built PC, I figured the only thing I would need to make the transition would be a 3.5mm stereo splitter cable, but to no avail, I just can't make the microphone work. The...
  9. Microphone not picking up audio

Microphone not picking up audio: Hello, I would like to hear some advice as to what I should do in this situation: My built-in microphone on my ASUS laptop windows 10 is not picking up audio anymore for some reason, and I did not change any settings. I have done literally everything from checking if the...
  10. Microphone detected but not picking up sound

Microphone detected but not picking up sound: My microphone and stereo's stopped working after a bunch of driver updates on my earlier windows install. I figured that hey, since I need to fresh install anyway again, I won't bother digging deeper into what could've caused it and just plain simply reinstalled windows. Now...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. headset microphone only plays static noise

2. mpc barely picking up my mic