Windows 10: Microphone Input Still Extremely Low

Discus and support Microphone Input Still Extremely Low in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I posted this question before, but the thread was locked by the time I was able to address the reply. However, that reply didn't have a fix that worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AustinAtlantis, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Microphone Input Still Extremely Low

I posted this question before, but the thread was locked by the time I was able to address the reply. However, that reply didn't have a fix that worked for me, so I am posting again.

Late 2020, I replaced my 3+ year headset after being told multiple times over a long period of time that my microphone was very quiet. However, with the new headset, I was told there was no change in my microphone volume. I am extremely quiet, reaching only 15% if I test it through Settings > System > Sound > Input > Device Properties.

• It's connected properly via USB.
    • The output works fine.
    • The troubleshooter says the device is working properly.
    • This problem has persisted across 3 devices with two different headsets, old and new. The only common denominator is Windows.
    • All the drivers are updated.
    • New from feedback on last question:
      • I was recommended to go to Additional Device Properties > Microphone Properties > Levels. I am apparently supposed to see two sliders: Microphone Volume and Microphone Boost.
      • However, I do not have a Microphone Boost slider. My Microphone Volume slider is at 100%.

I have seen and was recommended other threads some from 2015 with the same problem, and none of them have had a solution that has resolved anything.

:)

AustinAtlantis, Mar 16, 2021

2. Microphone Input Extremely Low

Hi AustinAtlantis,

I’m Mario an Independent Advisor. I’m here to work with you on this problem.

Considering that you executed the troubleshooting and updated the drivers, I suggest, reviewing some definitions on your laptop:

The basic is to review the sound but you explained that is on 100%, this way we skipped this point and go to try to boost your microphone levels, starting on the screen that allows you adjust the volume (on 100%), please follow the next steps:

- Click on “Additional device properties.” Doing so will open a window labelled “Microphone Properties.”

- Click on the “Levels” tab. Here you should see two sliders, one for your microphone’s volume, and one called Microphone Boost.

- Your microphone’s volume should already be at 100 percent. If for some reason it is not, go ahead and move the slider up to 100 percent. The Microphone Boost slider can be found directly underneath the volume slider. The Microphone Boost option can be used
    to increase your microphone’s output volume an additional 30 decibels. I recommend that you increase the boost incrementally (e.g. +10 dB) and then test your microphone levels before increasing it further.

Alternatives to find Microphone Boost Level option:

Alternatively, you can adjust your microphone’s volume and boost its output via the Control Panel. Simply type “control panel” in the Windows taskbar search field and click on “Control Panel.” From there, select “Sound.”

This will prompt a new window to open that is labeled “Sound.” In the tabs at the top of the window, click on the one that says “Recording.” Here you will see the microphones that are connected to your PC. Highlight the one you are using and click on “Properties.”

This will open a new window labeled “Microphone Properties.” Here, select the “Levels” tab. You should be presented with two sliders: one for your microphone’s volume and one that will allow you to boost its output.

Please, I found some links that add below for your review, with more details about particular headsets that I think could be helpful:

-
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

-
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

I hope to help you. Please, tell us the results.

Mario IgnacioGajardo Constenla, Mar 16, 2021
  3. NoahYusko Win User
    Microphone input extremely low after windows 10

So i just upgraded from windows 8.1 to 10 and loved it but i noticed after getting in a skype call with a friend that my mic volume was extremely low, so i check the sound properties and the sound bar showed that the audio input was barely registering,
    i gave the microphone full volume and boost, did nothing, updated to latest realtek drivers, did nothing, tried my mic on my laptop with windows 7, worked perfectly. Tried many more "solutions" found online and nothing has solved this issue, i have a youtube
    channel and my microphone a necessity. As far as i can tell this is an issue with windows 10 i never have previously had this issue before on amy version of windows. Any suggestions? My mic is not a usb mic it plugs through the aux jack dedicated for the
    mic.

NoahYusko, Mar 16, 2021
  4. Microphone Input Still Extremely Low

Microphone Input Extremely Low

After who knows how long of being told my microphone was quiet from others, I thought maybe it was time to replace my 3(+?) year old headset. I ordered a new headset, plugged it in, and excitedly jumped on a call with my friends- only to be told nothing
    was different and I was still quiet. I checked Settings > System > Sound > Input > Device properties and found that the highest my volume went to when testing the input was 28%, and that was an outlier. Usually I only get to about 15% if I'm lucky.

• It's connected properly via USB.
    • The output works fine.
    • The troubleshooter says the device is working properly.
    • This problem has persisted across 3 devices with two different headsets, old and new. The only common denominator is Windows.
    • All the drivers are updated.
    I have no idea what to do. I'm so, SO BEYOND frustrated with Windows.

AustinAtlantis, Mar 16, 2021
Thema:

Microphone Input Still Extremely Low

1. Microphone Input Still Extremely Low - Similar Threads - Microphone Input Still

2. Microphone array is extremely low.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone array is extremely low.: I recently downloaded Windows 11 expecting to be improvements, but instead the microphone array stopped working. The volume of it is at 100%, it claims to be fully working, but when I test it and use it on another application, the amount of volume I can reach no matter how...
  3. Microphone array is extremely low.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone array is extremely low.: I recently downloaded Windows 11 expecting to be improvements, but instead the microphone array stopped working. The volume of it is at 100%, it claims to be fully working, but when I test it and use it on another application, the amount of volume I can reach no matter how...
  4. Microphone volume extremely low

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone volume extremely low: After I reset my computer due to hard disk failure. I've experience problem with my microphone. The problem is when I'm on my Teams call, my friends told me that my mic audio is extremely low. Did a test on audacity software and all of my microphone including the built-in on...
  5. Microphone volume extremely low

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone volume extremely low: After I reset my computer due to hard disk failure. I've experience problem with my microphone. The problem is when I'm on my Teams call, my friends told me that my mic audio is extremely low. Did a test on audacity software and all of my microphone including the built-in on...
  6. Microphone volume extremely low

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. extremely low microphone level please help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    extremely low microphone level please help: i had this problem with having low microphone levels ever since i got my pc. people in-game, discord, etc. can't hear me because my mic is extremely low. i tried everything from going into my advanced sounds settings, then to "recording", then go to levels for the microphone...
  8. Low microphone input volume

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Low microphone input volume: Hello I bought a new RØDE VideoMicro microphone and it have very low input volume. I would like to ask if is there some solution to fix this without Boosting microphone because it decrease sound quality a lot and there is a lot effervesence. I tried use another port in my...
  9. Microphone input level very low

Microphone input level very low: My W10 PC is bang up to date, all updates installed. I decided to set up a mic for Zoom/Skype, but... I followed a very long post now locked on the subject of low input levels for microphones in Windows 10. Most helpful was the final post which suggested changing the...
  10. Microphone Input Extremely Low

Microphone Input Extremely Low: After who knows how long of being told my microphone was quiet from others, I thought maybe it was time to replace my 3+? year old headset. I ordered a new headset, plugged it in, and excitedly jumped on a call with my friends- only to be told nothing was different and I was...