Windows 10: Microphone Inputs Not Working

Discus and support Microphone Inputs Not Working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After a couple days if tinkering I finally managed to get the sound and mic inputs working for my new turtle beach headset. Alas, today I turned on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SamanthaXN, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Microphone Inputs Not Working

After a couple days if tinkering I finally managed to get the sound and mic inputs working for my new turtle beach headset. Alas, today I turned on my computer to find that, once again, the mic inputs are not registering any sound, either in the Sound menu or in programs like Audacity or OBS Studio. I'm at a loss.

I'm on a self-built rig, using an Aorus B450 moba with Windows 10. I'm using a splitter to connect my headset into the respective mic and line-out 3.5mm jacks on the back panel. I've tested my headset on other devices and the mic is working. Like I said, I had the setup going a couple days ago so it's not a hardware issue.

Things I have tried:

• Windows Troubleshooter
    • Setting Default device to Microphone 2 (pack panel). Weirdly, I do get green bars flickering when I enable the front mic jack also, but it's not actually detecting anything from the headset.
    • Putting the mic input in the cable splitter into the line-in jack. Windows detects something plugged in, but still no audio being recorded.
    • Going into privacy settings and making sure microphone access options are set to "on".
    • Updating sound card drivers
    • Setting "Microphone" and "Microphone Boost" to max in the device properties settings
    • Verifying my headset is not mute

I have been up and down the internet trying to figure this one out. I get sound from the back panel jack fine, so it's not the cables. I'm not very computer savvy (that I built a functioning tower still kind of amazes me), so if anyone has any further ideas of what I can try and can explain it in as plain language as possible, I'd be very appreciative.

:)

SamanthaXN, Jul 24, 2019
  2. zvainzHD Win User

All usb microphone inputs not working

So both my adapter for xlr to 3.5mm jack input and my newly purchased usb microphone are not recognised. I've tried updating the drivers, using different usb ports, uninstalling the drivers and letting windows do it manually. Every time though, it's listed as having issue's in device manager... Can some help?

zvainzHD, Jul 24, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jul 24, 2019
  4. Aceman.au Win User

Microphone Inputs Not Working

Sennheiser GSP 350. Microphone stops working when I open any game

Wow, ok. I think I've fixed it by accident while fiddling around.

It appears to be the Realtek audio being the issue here. I don't use my onboard sound card as my headset is a USB headset only and my speakers are plugged into an ASUS sound card.

Step by step fix:
    • I went into recording devices
    • I enabled STEREO MIX (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    • Then I set that Stereo Mix as the DEFAULT DEVICE (At this point it took over both input and output devices without my permission )
    • Then set my Sennheiser headset as default recording and playback devices in their respective windows even though they both still said they were the default devices when they weren't
    Headset microphone is currently functioning while in game now. I'll update the thread if it goes again. Should I completely disable Realtek audio??? Or will windows just force it to work again?

Aceman.au, Jul 24, 2019
Thema:

Microphone Inputs Not Working

1. Microphone Inputs Not Working - Similar Threads - Microphone Inputs Working

2. microphone input doesn't work anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microphone input doesn't work anymore: I have a problem since yesterday, I used CTRL + windows + shift + b to restart my graphic card but after that my mic input wasn't working, and I am using a laptop but even the laptop mic wasn't picking up any sound. I have tried using different inputs/headsets/restart my...
  3. Audio input Microphone does not work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio input Microphone does not work.: All of my microphones including USB and 3.5 do not work. I can listen to them in "Sound" options in control panel. I updated the audio drivers but that didn't help.By default when i am trying to connect headphones to the 3.5 of my microphone Maono-pm422 i listen to it without...
  4. Audio input Microphone does not work.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio input Microphone does not work.: All of my microphones including USB and 3.5 do not work. I can listen to them in "Sound" options in control panel. I updated the audio drivers but that didn't help.By default when i am trying to connect headphones to the 3.5 of my microphone Maono-pm422 i listen to it without...
  5. Audio input Microphone does not work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Microphone input stopped working

Microphone input stopped working: Hi, I was in a Discord call with a couple of my friends when suddenly my input stopped working. At first I thought it was a Discord issue, but I then find out all of windows doesn't hear my voice. [ATTACH] <--- I am yelling at the top of my lungs I already tried checking...
  7. Microphone input not working

Microphone input not working: I have an ASUS Tuf gaming 705DY laptop running windows 10. recently my built in microphone stopped working out of no where in the middle of my class. I ran troubleshooters to no result. Thinking the mic simply just broke, I went and bought a new headset with a built in mic....
  8. Microphone inputs not working

Microphone inputs not working: Today I was on Discord with a friend and my Mic quit working. No pop-ups or updates showed anything changed. I have 2 Mic inputs on my PC; 1 dual Mic/Headphone jack on the front panel and one Mic jack on the rear panel. I have a single input microphone and a headseat with...
  9. Input Device not working, microphone not detected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Input Device not working, microphone not detected: The computer doesn't have a microphone included, and it doesn't detect an external microphone either, I've tried Settings>Sound>Input no input devices found I run the troubleshoot but it says it can't identify the problem [ATTACH] I've gone to device manager to try to...
  10. All usb microphone inputs not working

All usb microphone inputs not working: So both my adapter for xlr to 3.5mm jack input and my newly purchased usb microphone are not recognised. I've tried updating the drivers, using different usb ports, uninstalling the drivers and letting windows do it manually. Every time though, it's listed as having issue's...