Windows 10: Microphone is not working after recent update

Discus and support Microphone is not working after recent update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 version 1909 64-bit on an ASUS TP501UA. I believe my audio driver used to be Realtek or possibly Synaptics. After a recent... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mark_Taylor_23, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Microphone is not working after recent update

I am running Windows 10 version 1909 64-bit on an ASUS TP501UA. I believe my audio driver used to be Realtek or possibly Synaptics. After a recent update, my computer downloaded a driver from Conexant which seems to have taken over for my audio. This problem started at the same time when that Conexant driver was downloaded. My speakers work fine, no issues there.

When I try to use my microphone with Cortana or in Microsoft Teams, it works perfectly fine. In the Sound Settings & Control Panel, it also registers that my microphone is picking up sound. In the Control Panel, I have the microphone volume set to 100, and I have tried putting the microphone boost at every value available to me between 0 and +36 dB. However, if I am using any other application at all on my computer Chrome, Zoom, Camera, Voice Recorder, etc..., my computer fails to pick up audio.

I have also tried uninstalling the microphone device and restarting, but no luck.

I have also tried using a headset plugged into my headphone jack, and gotten the exact same results; it will work in Teams, but nowhere else. So, I am pretty sure that this is perhaps some sort of driver issue, not a hardware issue.

I have tried to go back and install the Realtek audio driver, but the computer does not want to let me update the driver and change it away from Conexant.

Any help would be much appreciated.

:)

Mark_Taylor_23, Apr 15, 2021

2. Microphone not working

The microphone on my laptop stopped working. I have done a lot of trouble shooting without success. Before I conclude that it is a hardware problem, can I ask if there is anything else I should do.

My System:
    • ASUS S500CA laptop
    • Windows 10 Home X64 version 1909
    • VIA HD Audio - (for speakers and microphone)

Here's what happened:
    • The microphone was working perfectly (on Skype).
    • The next day it didn't work on a Skype call

Here's is a brief summary of what I have done:
    • The only thing that changed between these two Skype calls were a couple of Windows updates
    • I tried to remove all the recent Windows updates - didn't fix it
    • One update (4577670) couldn't be uninstalled so I restored the system to a date prior to the successful SKYPE - didn't work
    • I ran the Win trouble shooter - it reported no problem
    • I tried to update the sound/microphone driver - reported that I had the best driver
    • Checked the driver version (Provider - Microsoft, Date - 2019-03-18, Version, 10.0.18362.1)
    • Checked driver details (Report- No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device)
    • Updated to the latest Win 10 version (20H2) - didn't help
    • The speakers are working correctly.
    • I tried all of the above with the internal microphone as well as an external microphone (I tested all microphone alternatives in the setup - headset, external other)
    Is there anything else that I should try before giving up?

dsscottage, Apr 15, 2021
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Apr 15, 2021
  4. Microphone is not working after recent update

internal microphone not working since updates

In order to effectively assist you with your concern, we'd like to confirm what are the troubleshooting steps that you've performed to resolve the microphone issue?

Since the microphone driver is up to date, we would suggest that you reinstall it to rule out issues related to corrupted driver installation after the recent the
    Windows Update. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Type Device Manager in the search bar and press Enter.
    • Click the drop-down arrow to expand Audio inputs and outputs.
    • Right-click on the microphone driver and select Properties.
    • Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall.
    • Press OK.
    • Restart the device to reinstall a native driver.
    • Once you're done, check if the issue persists.

Let us know should you need further assistance.

Darwin Dim, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

Microphone is not working after recent update

1. Microphone is not working after recent update - Similar Threads - Microphone working recent

2. Microphone not working after the Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone not working after the Windows update: After the latest windows update, I lost the access to Microphone. No input device found for microphone and as a result I cannot use it for Teams. My laptop was upgraded to Windows 11 pro from Windows 10 pro. After having this issue was reported to Microsoft, the customer rep...
  3. The microphone does not work after a recent update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The microphone does not work after a recent update: My PC updated today, and so far everything has been fine. After finishing the update, my microphone will not work now. I know it is not the microphone itself or the headphones, as again there were no problems until the most recent update I put on the PC....
  4. The microphone does not work after a recent update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The microphone does not work after a recent update: My PC updated today, and so far everything has been fine. After finishing the update, my microphone will not work now. I know it is not the microphone itself or the headphones, as again there were no problems until the most recent update I put on the PC....
  5. The microphone does not work after a recent update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Microphone Not Working After Windows Update

Microphone Not Working After Windows Update: I am using an HP Spectre 15". This issue happened a while ago, but now I need to use my microphone. This is an issue that occurs with every microphone I try to use, both internal and external. The microphone clearly works, as if I go into the settings and make noise, it shows...
  7. Microphone not working after latest update

Microphone not working after latest update: Hi, My internal microphone is no longer working after the latest update my computer updated four days ago, before then it was working. For some reason, I cannot uninstall those updates, despite them breaking the microphone. I've tried everything from resetting Services to...
  8. Keyboard not working after recent update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Keyboard not working after recent update: My keyboard is not working after the recent update especially when you type a password in a WIFI or in type a word in a search box. Other than that everything is fine. It works in Office Application....
  9. Microphone not working after recently updating

Microphone not working after recently updating: Updated laptop today, and up until now everything has been fine. After finishing the update, my microphone now won't work. I've double checked the drivers for both my headphones and the microphone on the laptop itself which i have been using with no issues until today and...
  10. Microphone Not working in Word or Zoom After Recent Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microphone Not working in Word or Zoom After Recent Update: After the recent update my microphone isn't working in Zoom or Word. I have updated the drivers and uninstalled them as well and it is still not working. In the sound settings it appears that the microphone picks up my voice, but will not work in Zoom or Word. Is there...