Windows 10: Microphone level barely moves when speaking normally which gives me 1 green bar, and when...

Discus and support Microphone level barely moves when speaking normally which gives me 1 green bar, and when... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; So I've been having this microphone issue where the recording volume meter goes up to 1 green bar when the microphone is not far from my mouth. But,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JP35321, Jan 30, 2023.

1. JP35321 Win User

Microphone level barely moves when speaking normally which gives me 1 green bar, and when...

So I've been having this microphone issue where the recording volume meter goes up to 1 green bar when the microphone is not far from my mouth. But, when I speak loudly or tap the microphone it goes up 4-6 green bars. I've tried adjusting the mic volume everywhere, even disabled communications options, etc... and nothing seems to change. I even ordered a new headset because I thought the previous one was causing the problem and the new one seems to do the same. The old one used two 3.5 mm jack red for mic and green for audio and the new one uses USB, tried plugging it into different ports an

:)

JP35321, Jan 30, 2023
  2. JP35321 Win User

Microphone level barely moves when speaking normally which gives me 1 green bar, and when speaking loudly I get 4-6 green bars

So I've been having this microphone issue where the recording volume meter goes up to 1 green bar when the microphone is not far from my mouth. But, when I speak loudly or tap the microphone it goes up 4-6 green bars. I've tried adjusting the mic volume everywhere, even disabled communications options, etc... and nothing seems to change. I even ordered a new headset because I thought the previous one was causing the problem and the new one seems to do the same. The old one used two 3.5 mm jack (red for mic and green for audio) and the new one uses USB, tried plugging it into different ports and that didn't work either. And just to make sure it was my PC I tried my new and old headset on a separate PC and it showed 4-6 green bars without even speaking loudly. My best guess is it has something to do with my PC but I just can't tell what it could be.

All in all the problem is Microphone sensitivity

Edit: I've updated my audio drivers and still doesn't fix the problem

JP35321, Jan 30, 2023
  3. LemP Win User
    microphone will not work

Where do you see that "the computer states it is on and not muted"?

Please do the following:

1. Click Start, type mmsys.cpl in the Search box, and press Enter.

2. Click the "Recording" tab.

3. What is set as the "default device" (has a white check in a green circle)? If this is not the built-in microphone, right-click on the correct device and select "Set as default device" and click OK.

4. If you speak into the microphone, does the green bar on the right of the default device move, indicating sound levels?

5. With the proper microphone selected, click the "Properties" button.

6. Click the "Levels" tab and make sure that the "Level" slider is all the way to the right (100). If the button to the right of the Level slider shows a "no" symbol (red circle with slash), click that button to unmute the microphone.

7. OK your way out.

8. Click Start, type Sound Recorder in the Search box, and press Enter.

9. Click the "Record" button and speak into the microphone.

• Do you see the green bar in the small "Sound Recorder" window while you are speaking?
    • Click "Stop Recording" and save the file somewhere convenient (if save it on your Desktop, it will be easier to find).
    • Double-click the *.wma file you just saved. Do you hear your voice?

If you you saw the green recording level indicator in step 4 and you saw the recording level indicator in step 9 and successfully recorded your voice in step 9, the problem is something other than your computer. See, for example,

https://www.google.com/search?q=facebook+messenger+doesn%27t+have+sound

4. Microphone level barely moves when speaking normally which gives me 1 green bar, and when...

microphon

Hi Hassan,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

If a mic connected to this computer isn’t working properly then it’s likely a settings problem.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Right-click on the speaker icon in the bottom-right part of the screen.

• Click on ‘Recording Devices‘.

• A list of recording devices will appear. Try speaking into your microphone, and see if there any
      green bars rising next to one of them while you talk.

• If you don’t see any green bars skip to step 5.

• Check if you can recognize which one of the devices in the list is your
      microphone. If you found it, click on it to highlight it, and then click
      Set Default.

• Check again if you see green bars rising when you talk into the microphone. If you do your mic is now correctly setup. If not, continue to next step.

• Double-click on the device that represents your microphone. The
      Microphone Properties window will appear. Click the Levels tab.

• In the levels tab, drag the slider all the way to the right, until the number on the right says “100“.

• Click OK and check if it helps.
    Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

ThofikhAhamad, Jan 30, 2023
Thema:

Microphone level barely moves when speaking normally which gives me 1 green bar, and when...

1. Microphone level barely moves when speaking normally which gives me 1 green bar, and when... - Similar Threads - Microphone level barely

2. Microphone level barely moves when speaking normally which gives me 1 green bar, and when...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone level barely moves when speaking normally which gives me 1 green bar, and when...: So I've been having this microphone issue where the recording volume meter goes up to 1 green bar when the microphone is not far from my mouth. But, when I speak loudly or tap the microphone it goes up 4-6 green bars. I've tried adjusting the mic volume everywhere, even...
  3. Microphone level barely moves when speaking normally which gives me 1 green bar, and when...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microphone level barely moves when speaking normally which gives me 1 green bar, and when...: So I've been having this microphone issue where the recording volume meter goes up to 1 green bar when the microphone is not far from my mouth. But, when I speak loudly or tap the microphone it goes up 4-6 green bars. I've tried adjusting the mic volume everywhere, even...
  4. Microphone barely audible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone barely audible: Hello there,I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-52. I have never had problems with the mic, in fact it was fantastic. However, recently something changed, and the volume of my microphone decreased so much that it is basically unusable. I have the Microphone Array...
  5. Microphone barely audible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone barely audible: Hello there,I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-52. I have never had problems with the mic, in fact it was fantastic. However, recently something changed, and the volume of my microphone decreased so much that it is basically unusable. I have the Microphone Array...
  6. Microphone "level" slider isn't moving

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone "level" slider isn't moving: Hi, My microphone is really quiet and when i try to change the "level" slider it doesnt move and stays at 0 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-level-slider-isnt-moving/d87d6840-5ac3-4716-9620-13c4bf2fa90d
  7. Microphone barely audible

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microphone barely audible: This is quite urgent due to online school so if you could have a read I would be grateful. Essentially, my mic pick up levels are super low. I have done everything Microsoft and other websites have suggested like upping the input, disabling and enabling drivers and so on...
  8. When using my microphone, the microphone level automatically adjusts. -Bender1337

When using my microphone, the microphone level automatically adjusts. -Bender1337: When a loud enough noise occurs, the sound goes down roughly 6-12 percent - sometimes more. I can see the bar move on its own. I can't find the program that is doing it. Is there a tool to find out which program is fiddling with my mic? (https://youtu.be/5I-mbFjJqcU) Mic...
  9. Why when clicking network in file manager, a slow moving green bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why when clicking network in file manager, a slow moving green bar: Green bar moves across the top and I get nothing? It is super annoying! I have 3 network shares, and I was able to link to them in windows 10 using some other way, like connect to, map a server in the filemanager, and they instantly appeared. Yet I cannot explore the...
  10. Microphone volume decreases when I speak to it

Microphone volume decreases when I speak to it: Ok so I am using Windows 10 versoin 1511 Build 10586.218. My sound card is build in Realtek HD Audio. Whenever, I use the mic, say for Skype call or in Control Panel>Speec Recognition>Setup Microphone, my microphone volume starts decreasing from 100 to downward. (Notice...