Windows 10: Microphone not picking up speech, both with microphone array and earphones

Discus and support Microphone not picking up speech, both with microphone array and earphones in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have a HP Envy, running on Windows 10, with an inbuilt Intel Smart Sound Technology mic array. My microphone cut out towards the end of a Zoom... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JamieHorton95, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Microphone not picking up speech, both with microphone array and earphones

Hi,

I have a HP Envy, running on Windows 10, with an inbuilt Intel Smart Sound Technology mic array. My microphone cut out towards the end of a Zoom call, and now refuses to pick up input when I am talking. The microphone volume is set at 100%, and the troubleshooter reports no problems.

Weirdly, when I test the microphone, if I click my fingers next to it then the bar shoots up, detecting the sound. When I speak however, even right next to the mic, the bar barely flickers. The drivers are fully updated, as is my version of Windows 10. The mic was working fine until the middle of this call, and I am not sure how to fix it.

Even more weirdly, I have exactly the same problem when I connect my bluetooth earphones. I can hear sound with no problems, but the mic is not picking up my voice.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jamie

:)

JamieHorton95, Nov 6, 2020

2. setting up microphone for speech recognition

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are trying to setup speech recognition on the PC.
    In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • When you say that “the box is grey and unresponsive”, where you are seeing this option?
    • Are you able to connect the microphone to the PC? (Does it show in Device Manager)

Meanwhile we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if you are able to setup the microphone.

Steps to set up a microphone: Before you set up Speech Recognition, make sure you've plugged the microphone into your PC so the following steps work.

1. Press Windows + Q or click on the Windows Search.
    2. Enter Set up a microphone in the search box, and then tap or click
      Set up a microphone.
    3. Follow the instructions on the screen.
    4. Once you are able to setup the microphone and then check if it’s working.

You may also refer this article for additional help: Use voice recognition
    in Windows 10

If you are facing issues configuring microphone on your computer, I would suggest you to refer:

Fix microphone problems

Let us know how it goes.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Nov 6, 2020
  3. Microphone Array missing, Microphone doesnot work

1. The computer is a H-P IQ 524 Touchsmart All-In-One 22inch display

2. All updates installed.

3. Went to the above suggested web page. Have been there.

4. Any suggestion as to enabling the microphone array; Speaker Icon > (Right Click) > Select (Recording Device) >opens window titled “Sound” > Select (Recording). Microphone Array not showing.

AV

AubreyVickers, Nov 6, 2020
  4. Microphone not picking up speech, both with microphone array and earphones

Microphone Array missing, Microphone doesnot work

Hello Aubrey,

We realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Microphone. We will certainly help you.

You could face this issue when the Microphone is not getting detected by the Operating System. Please write to us with the following detail.

• What is the model and model of your computer?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows updates?

Meanwhile kindly try the suggestions posted in the below link and check if it helps:

Internal Microphone Array Not Working in windows 10 preview

Let us know the results. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Nov 6, 2020
Thema:

Microphone not picking up speech, both with microphone array and earphones

1. Microphone not picking up speech, both with microphone array and earphones - Similar Threads - Microphone picking speech

2. Microphone labeld as microphone array

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone labeld as microphone array: I have a reddragon condenser microphone USB type. On my desktop computer it displays as something with the likes of redragon and a bunch of numbers found on the sound control panel. But when I plug this microphone in my lenovo ideapad 3 , it does not detect it and says USB...
  3. My Microphone Array won't pick up my voice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Microphone Array won't pick up my voice: My model is: G512LIMy computer can pick up sound fine through my headphones, but it won't pick up my voice without headphones just through the computer and it used to. I am not sure why it does not anymore. I have tried troubleshooting, updating drivers, and it says there are...
  4. My Microphone Array won't pick up my voice

My Microphone Array won't pick up my voice: My model is: G512LIMy computer can pick up sound fine through my headphones, but it won't pick up my voice without headphones just through the computer and it used to. I am not sure why it does not anymore. I have tried troubleshooting, updating drivers, and it says there are...
  5. My Microphone Array won't pick up my voice

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Microphone array is picking sound but changing the level

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone array is picking sound but changing the level: My mic is picking up sound but barely. If I go into sound from the control panel it barely picks up on the bar in the whole range on the right of it. The same happens in sound from the settings menu. To add to this if I listen to the device I can slightly hear my voice and...
  7. Microphone array is picking sound but changing the level

Microphone array is picking sound but changing the level: My mic is picking up sound but barely. If I go into sound from the control panel it barely picks up on the bar in the whole range on the right of it. The same happens in sound from the settings menu. To add to this if I listen to the device I can slightly hear my voice and...
  8. Microphone array is picking sound but changing the level

9. Microphone Array, microphone issue

Microphone Array, microphone issue: Troubleshoot did not help. I just do not understand, why my Microphone Array, microphone do not work. Everything was fine, but at one moment everything stopped working....
  10. array microphone

array microphone: hello all, I can use some help here. here the situation, I have a dell laptop 1525 origal vista OS so I upgrade it to windows 8.1, & everything worked fine, now I upgraded it to windows 10 & now the array mic doesn't work. I hve downloaded & installed the correct driver for...