Windows 10: Microphone not recognised by Realtek

Discus and support Microphone not recognised by Realtek in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently acquired a headset, but cannot get the mic to work. I have tested it in another device, and the mic works fine. I have tested other headsets... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Adam K_437, May 14, 2020.

1. Microphone not recognised by Realtek

I recently acquired a headset, but cannot get the mic to work. I have tested it in another device, and the mic works fine. I have tested other headsets on mh laptop, but to no avail

I have a single headset jack on my laptop, and am running Realtek HD Audio drivers in Windows 10

When I open Sound in the control panel, only two input devices appear, even when I show disabled and disconnected devices. They are called Microphone, which refers to my laptop's internal mic, and Stereo mixer, which I'm not sure what it refers to, but enabling/disabling it seems to have no effect

I cannot figure out why my laptop does not recognise that the headset has been plugged in. The headphones work perfectly, but the mic might as well not exist

To add further confusion, the headphones and built in speakers are listed as the same device

Any idea how I might resolve this issue?

:)

Adam K_437, May 14, 2020
  2. songbird Win User

How to make computer recognise external microphone

Hi Everyone
    I am using a small netbook laptop Lenovo about 4 years old. The Windows 10 version is 1903.

Now that we are all locked down I am using zoom a lot BUT so far I have had to use it on my smartphone because on this computer, although I can hear other people, they cannot hear me.I had this problem a few years ago with skype though that seemed to happen after skype upgraded and I blamed skype and the upgrade. Since then for videocalls I have mainly used whatsApp but on phone, of course.

Now that we are all using zoom so much and because I was encountering this same microphone problem - the App apparently not recognising the internal microphone - it was suggested to me that I should buy an external microphone. This I have done BUT it has not helped and the problem seems to be that the computer just does not recognise it is there. If I go to Settings, then System then Sound it is still only giving me the option 'Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio)' that it always has i.e. the built in microphone.

So my question is: to use Zoom with the laptop, which will be much better for meetings with more than 4 people, how do I connect in the external microphone? (It connects via the audio jack).

Thank you for any help uyou can give.

songbird, May 14, 2020
  3. Aceman.au Win User
    Sennheiser GSP 350. Microphone stops working when I open any game

Wow, ok. I think I've fixed it by accident while fiddling around.

It appears to be the Realtek audio being the issue here. I don't use my onboard sound card as my headset is a USB headset only and my speakers are plugged into an ASUS sound card.

Step by step fix:
    • I went into recording devices
    • I enabled STEREO MIX (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    • Then I set that Stereo Mix as the DEFAULT DEVICE (At this point it took over both input and output devices without my permission )
    • Then set my Sennheiser headset as default recording and playback devices in their respective windows even though they both still said they were the default devices when they weren't
    Headset microphone is currently functioning while in game now. I'll update the thread if it goes again. Should I completely disable Realtek audio??? Or will windows just force it to work again?

Aceman.au, May 14, 2020
  4. Riel Alc Win User

Microphone not recognised by Realtek

Microphone issues

Hi Michael,

Here are the possible reasons why you're getting an error "The microphone did not pick anything up" when using it:

• Incorrect settings (microphone is not set as default device)
    • Corrupted or outdated driver
    • Faulty device

For us to isolate the issue, we'd like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made to your computer prior to this issue(e.g. Windows updates)?
    • Have you tried connecting other microphone to your computer?
    • Have you tried connecting the microphone to the other computer?

In the meantime, we suggest running the Recording Audio Troubleshooter to find and repair problems with recording sound. We also suggest checking if your microphone is set as your default recording device. For troubleshooting steps, please see
    Geethu B's on this
    link.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, May 14, 2020
Thema:

Microphone not recognised by Realtek

1. Microphone not recognised by Realtek - Similar Threads - Microphone recognised Realtek

2. External Microphone not recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Microphone not recognised: I have been trying to set up an external microphone for my laptop, except it refuses to recognise the device. The basic details are:-Windows 11 Home-Microphone is one that came in the LVLUP 6 in one gaming bundle-Laptop is MSI Katana GF66I have a headset with a microphone...
  3. External Microphone not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Microphone not recognised: I have been trying to set up an external microphone for my laptop, except it refuses to recognise the device. The basic details are:-Windows 11 Home-Microphone is one that came in the LVLUP 6 in one gaming bundle-Laptop is MSI Katana GF66I have a headset with a microphone...
  4. Realtek Microphone Array?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Realtek Microphone Array?: Okay, so. I'm using an Acer Nitro 5, specific model AN515-55. I'm trying to only use my headset's microphone, but there's no option. Only the Microphone Array, which I'd rather not use, alongside my headset being detected as headphones. The only option to change things around...
  5. Realtek Microphone

Realtek Microphone: My Realtek microphone is causing sporadic brief interrupts when I am speaking. Is there any setting that I can adjust? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/realtek-microphone/c062790c-d1d2-4d58-b13a-d686f7da33e0
  6. External Microphone Not Recognised

External Microphone Not Recognised: My laptop automatically detects when my headphones are plugged in and switches to them immediately for audio output, so I know there's no issue with my jack, but when I plug in my external mic Audio-Technica Condensor it doesn't recognize it at all, doesn't even show that its...
  7. RealTek Microphone

RealTek Microphone: Hi, I have a serious issue with the Microphone. When I plug in headphones or earphones, the microphone works and detects everything. But when I have not plugged in anything, i.e. my PC's inbuilt mic, the microphone doesn't work in any app except for the camera app. Windows...
  8. Realtek Microphone Driver

Realtek Microphone Driver: I recently built a new computer for the primary use of gaming. The machine runs beautifully except for the fact that my mic audio is really quiet. I've cranked all of my mic settings to the max setting and my friends are still saying I'm quiet. I know this is not an issue...
  9. Realtek Microphone Driver.

Realtek Microphone Driver.: I have been looking for months for a microphone and had just purchased one recently and the thing has not cooperated with me one bit. I have set it to default device and still the problem persists. I suspect that it is a problem with the drive because the microphone is new...
  10. Microphone not recognised?

Microphone not recognised?: Hi I've been looking for a solution to a problem where my laptop doesn't recognise my microphone connected to my headset for quite some time. It's an external microphone but after messing around for some time even my internal microphone is now not responding to input and I...