Windows 10: Microphone not recording

Discus and support Microphone not recording in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My microphone was not working and I reinstalled windows and audio drivers. When I speak the icon shows movement indicating that sound is being sensed,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JuliePhillips4, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Microphone not recording

My microphone was not working and I reinstalled windows and audio drivers. When I speak the icon shows movement indicating that sound is being sensed, but nothing records in voice recorder, skype of other program. Troubleshooters have not found a problem.

:)

JuliePhillips4, Jan 8, 2021

2. External microphone not showing in the Recording tab

My Windows 10 laptop is not recognizing any external microphones. I have two headsets: a Bluetooth one and one for an audio jack. Both headsets work correctly on other devices. When I connect the headsets to my computer, I can hear audio, but the microphones
    do not work.

Here are the steps I've taken so far:

• Updated drivers (they were already up to date)
    • From Sound Settings, headsets do not appear as options for the input device
    • Ran the microphone troubleshooter - headsets do not appear as options
    • From Control Panel > Sound > Recording, headsets do not appear as options. I have selected the disabled and disconnected devices options.
    • From Microphone Privacy, all apps have access to the microphone.
    That's everything I found online to fix this problem. Any suggestions?

TechWriterHeather, Jan 8, 2021
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jan 8, 2021
  4. Riel Alc Win User

Microphone not recording

Microphone issues

Hi Michael,

Here are the possible reasons why you're getting an error "The microphone did not pick anything up" when using it:

• Incorrect settings (microphone is not set as default device)
    • Corrupted or outdated driver
    • Faulty device

For us to isolate the issue, we'd like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made to your computer prior to this issue(e.g. Windows updates)?
    • Have you tried connecting other microphone to your computer?
    • Have you tried connecting the microphone to the other computer?

In the meantime, we suggest running the Recording Audio Troubleshooter to find and repair problems with recording sound. We also suggest checking if your microphone is set as your default recording device. For troubleshooting steps, please see
    Geethu B's on this
    link.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Jan 8, 2021
Thema:

Microphone not recording

1. Microphone not recording - Similar Threads - Microphone recording

2. I cant record my microphone audio?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant record my microphone audio?: When I clip a video of my gameplay I can hear my teammates but not myself using Win + Alt + G.My friends can clip theirs with their mic audios and mine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-record-my-microphone-audio/7bf9a297-e82d-472e-9117-ca198886546a
  3. I cant record my microphone audio?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant record my microphone audio?: When I clip a video of my gameplay I can hear my teammates but not myself using Win + Alt + G.My friends can clip theirs with their mic audios and mine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-record-my-microphone-audio/7bf9a297-e82d-472e-9117-ca198886546a
  4. Windows 11 screen recording sped up using headset microphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 screen recording sped up using headset microphone: I only have this problem when using my headset microphone but the screen recording is sped up a bit and my audio recording from headset mic is very sped up.I have tried screen recording using my laptop microphone and do not have this issue....
  5. Windows 11 screen recording sped up using headset microphone

Windows 11 screen recording sped up using headset microphone: I only have this problem when using my headset microphone but the screen recording is sped up a bit and my audio recording from headset mic is very sped up.I have tried screen recording using my laptop microphone and do not have this issue....
  6. External USB Microphone records muffled telephone voice via USB-A and crisp natural voice...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External USB Microphone records muffled telephone voice via USB-A and crisp natural voice...: Hi Microsoft Experts,I'm trying to record a podcast episode. I'm using the following devices and software:1. Lenovo Yoga Pro 7i laptop2. Samson Q2U Microphone plugged in via USB-A3. Audacity for audio editingWhen recording my voice with the Samson Mic plugged in via the USB-A...
  7. External USB Microphone records muffled telephone voice via USB-A and crisp natural voice...

External USB Microphone records muffled telephone voice via USB-A and crisp natural voice...: Hi Microsoft Experts,I'm trying to record a podcast episode. I'm using the following devices and software:1. Lenovo Yoga Pro 7i laptop2. Samson Q2U Microphone plugged in via USB-A3. Audacity for audio editingWhen recording my voice with the Samson Mic plugged in via the USB-A...
  8. Unable to record audio on powerpoint and microphone is unresponsive. Dell inspiron 15 5501

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to record audio on powerpoint and microphone is unresponsive. Dell inspiron 15 5501: Someone please help. I have a powerpoint I have to turn in for a class that I can't record any audio on. It says powerpoint cannot perform this operation because the recording device is unavailable. I've tried going into my settings and allowing access but even testing my...
  9. Unable to record audio on powerpoint and microphone is unresponsive. Dell inspiron 15 5501

Unable to record audio on powerpoint and microphone is unresponsive. Dell inspiron 15 5501: Someone please help. I have a powerpoint I have to turn in for a class that I can't record any audio on. It says powerpoint cannot perform this operation because the recording device is unavailable. I've tried going into my settings and allowing access but even testing my...
  10. Hi. My microphone is not recording in any apps like whatsapp, voice record , xbox though...

Hi. My microphone is not recording in any apps like whatsapp, voice record , xbox though...: Hi. My microphone is not recording in any apps like whatsapp, voice record , xbox though the microphone has access. But apps installed from browser is working i.e. chrome,zoom. How to fix this issue ?...