Windows 10: Microphone not working - after connecting laptop to an external monitor

Discus and support Microphone not working - after connecting laptop to an external monitor in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Not sure this is the best place to ask this question, but let's give it a shot. My microphone is not functioning properly. I've tried testing it out on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by kingoatmeal, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Microphone not working - after connecting laptop to an external monitor

Not sure this is the best place to ask this question, but let's give it a shot. My microphone is not functioning properly. I've tried testing it out on Zoom, Skype, and even the voice recorder app that comes pre-installed with my laptop. All of this was working before. Oddly, when I try to use Cortana it works and when I open up the sound settings and test the microphone I see it's responding to any sounds I make.I can't make heads or tails of this. It's probably worth noting that everything was working fine up until I got a new monitor and started connecting my laptop to it USB-C. Eve

:)

kingoatmeal, Aug 5, 2021
  2. AJMazza Win User

Surface Laptop 3 with external monitor

Hi All,

Has anyone come across an issue with an external monitor blacking out while connected to a Surface Laptop 3? I have the laptop connected to a widescreen laptop with the Surface Dock. Both work fine however, once every hour or so the external monitor blacks out and comes back.

I've completed the following:

• Updated laptop drivers and firmware
      • Updated monitor drivers
      • Swapped out monitor
    [/LIST]

AJMazza, Aug 5, 2021
  3. LemP Win User
    connection problems External Monitor for laptop

If you're trying to use a wired external monitor is it connected to the laptop's HDMI output connector or the mini DisplayPort connector?

If you're using a wired external monitor and don't see any output, right-click on an empty spot on the Desktop and select Screen Resolution -> Detect

In addition, you may need to press the F7 key and select the mode in which the display will function. There are 4 modes:

• Disconnect (or Computer only): display only on the laptop's screen
    • Duplicate: the same display on the laptop's screen and the external monitor
    • Extend: extends the output so that you can drag things from one screen to the other
    • Projector only (or Second Screen Only): displays only on the external monitor

Or are you trying to use wireless (Wi-Di or Miracast)?

LemP, Aug 5, 2021
  4. Cbowers3 Win User

Microphone not working - after connecting laptop to an external monitor

Laptop screen will only work once it has been connected to an external monitor, even if that monitor is switched off

Having an issue whereby I cannot see or use the Laptop screen without first plugging it into an external monitor.

• Upon Windows startup unconnected to any external monitor

• DELL opening logo can be seen on Laptop screen

• Screen goes black with backlight

• Mouse pointer can be seen onscreen if moved to the right, as though a second monitor is connected on the left hand side.

• Attempting to press enter and type in password in the correct order as though the screen was functional does not do anything

• Upon connecting to an external monitor (even if switched off)

• Laptop screen will suddenly appear, all functionality restored

• Upon disconnecting again from external monitor

• Laptop screen remains visible and functional

• Lock screen /unlock screen no problem

• Upon shutting and opening the laptop lid

• Screen black with backlight, same results as windows startup, mouse pointer can be seen and moved as though a second screen is connected on the left

• No functionality until reconnected, even for a second, with an external monitor.

Troubleshooting:

• Restarting multiple times, checking multiple display screen is not activated:

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum
    category.***

Cbowers3, Aug 5, 2021
Thema:

Microphone not working - after connecting laptop to an external monitor

1. Microphone not working - after connecting laptop to an external monitor - Similar Threads - Microphone working connecting

2. External monitor not working after an update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor not working after an update: I tried a different cable, driver update, driver unistall/reinstall. Windows does not detect second monitor and the monitor states no signal when hdmi plugged in and turned on....
  3. External monitor not working after an update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitor not working after an update: I tried a different cable, driver update, driver unistall/reinstall. Windows does not detect second monitor and the monitor states no signal when hdmi plugged in and turned on....
  4. Connecting an external monitor to my hp laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting an external monitor to my hp laptop: I need help connecting a Samsung monitor to my hp laptop. I did everything correctly and it's not connecting. What else can I do. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-an-external-monitor-to-my-hp-laptop/271aaf23-8305-4175-835c-9cae9dece960
  5. Connecting an external monitor to my hp laptop

Connecting an external monitor to my hp laptop: I need help connecting a Samsung monitor to my hp laptop. I did everything correctly and it's not connecting. What else can I do. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-an-external-monitor-to-my-hp-laptop/271aaf23-8305-4175-835c-9cae9dece960
  6. External monitor is not connecting

External monitor is not connecting: I recently bought an external monitor Acer Nitro QG221Q 21.5 Inch for my Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3. But when I used to connect it to it is blank. What should I do?Any suggestions will be appreciated.Thanks in advance!!...
  7. Sound problem after connecting external monitor to a laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound problem after connecting external monitor to a laptop: Laptop: Acer Spin 3Monitor: Samsung t55 24 inch curvedThere's no sound from the monitor after connecting it to the laptop using a HDMI cable. I tried troubleshooting and changing the default playback devices, but it didnt work....
  8. Sound problem after connecting external monitor to a laptop

Sound problem after connecting external monitor to a laptop: Laptop: Acer Spin 3Monitor: Samsung t55 24 inch curvedThere's no sound from the monitor after connecting it to the laptop using a HDMI cable. I tried troubleshooting and changing the default playback devices, but it didnt work....
  9. Sound problem after connecting external monitor to a laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Connect external monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connect external monitor: How can I connect an external monitor to my new laptop with VGA to HDMI cable? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connect-external-monitor/9e79dcc5-5257-4f83-999a-40af6632e4e6

Users found this page by searching for:

1. headset microphone not working with hdmi is connected

2. microphone not working with hdmi