Windows 10: Microphone not working after latest update

Discus and support Microphone not working after latest update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, My internal microphone is no longer working after the latest update my computer updated four days ago, before then it was working. For some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by vchopra123, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Microphone not working after latest update

Hi,

My internal microphone is no longer working after the latest update my computer updated four days ago, before then it was working. For some reason, I cannot uninstall those updates, despite them breaking the microphone.

I've tried everything from resetting Services to uninstalling drivers to updating drivers to a simple old restart. I believe that I have accurate diagnosed the problem as it began right after the Windows update.

Is there any way to unbreak it, or is buying an external microphone the only solution?

Thanks

:)

vchopra123, Jan 19, 2021

2. Microphone not working

The microphone on my laptop stopped working. I have done a lot of trouble shooting without success. Before I conclude that it is a hardware problem, can I ask if there is anything else I should do.

My System:
    • ASUS S500CA laptop
    • Windows 10 Home X64 version 1909
    • VIA HD Audio - (for speakers and microphone)

Here's what happened:
    • The microphone was working perfectly (on Skype).
    • The next day it didn't work on a Skype call

Here's is a brief summary of what I have done:
    • The only thing that changed between these two Skype calls were a couple of Windows updates
    • I tried to remove all the recent Windows updates - didn't fix it
    • One update (4577670) couldn't be uninstalled so I restored the system to a date prior to the successful SKYPE - didn't work
    • I ran the Win trouble shooter - it reported no problem
    • I tried to update the sound/microphone driver - reported that I had the best driver
    • Checked the driver version (Provider - Microsoft, Date - 2019-03-18, Version, 10.0.18362.1)
    • Checked driver details (Report- No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device)
    • Updated to the latest Win 10 version (20H2) - didn't help
    • The speakers are working correctly.
    • I tried all of the above with the internal microphone as well as an external microphone (I tested all microphone alternatives in the setup - headset, external other)
    Is there anything else that I should try before giving up?

dsscottage, Jan 19, 2021
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jan 19, 2021
  4. Isha Soni Win User

Microphone not working after latest update

microphone is not working

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum. I will certainly help you with this.

This issue could occur due to incompatible or corrupted device drivers. Let’s try to follow these methods below which can help us resolving this issue.

What is the make and model of your computer and microphone?

Method 1: Run audio troubleshooter.

You might be able to solve some problems by running a troubleshooter that will automatically fix some common issues with audio.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key on your keyboard
    • Type Troubleshooting and click
      Troubleshooting..
    • Click on view all (on the left)
    • Select Playing Audio
      troubleshooter
    • Follow the prompted steps to troubleshoot this issue.
    If the issue persist, follow method 2.

Method 2: Check for the microphone settings.

Step 1:
    I would suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"
    • Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".
    • Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".
    • Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".
    • Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.
    • Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.
    • Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

If the issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3: Update the sound drivers.

Step 1: Check for the latest driver update through Windows Updates.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.
    • Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select
      Install optional updates from the left results.
    • When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Incompatible or not properly installed graphics card drivers are the most common cause of this issue.

Step 2: Follow the steps below to update the sound drivers.

• Press Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    • Go to device manager.
    • Right-click your audio/sound devices.
    • Click Update Driver Software and then follow the steps in the wizard that appears.
    Restart the computer and check.

Step 2: Check in
    compatibility mode.

Download the drivers from the manufacture's website for Windows 10, if not available.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on
    ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
    ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.

d. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

You may also refer: Make older
    programs compatible with this version of Windows
    (Steps applies to Windows 10)

You can get back to us if you have any difficulties in doing the same. We are always here to help you.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Jan 19, 2021
Thema:

Microphone not working after latest update

1. Microphone not working after latest update - Similar Threads - Microphone working latest

2. java is not working after latest update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    java is not working after latest update: my java doesnot work after the last windows update... what can i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/java-is-not-working-after-latest-update/03bb7cfc-b509-43c7-a690-085246dbba91
  3. computer not working after latest update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    computer not working after latest update: Firstly appologies if i am posting in the wrong place, Yesterday i did the latest update & now i cant get past the opening screen that asks for the pin code, the reason for this is it looks like all of my usb ports are disabled so i as good as have no mouse or keyboard. I...
  4. Microphone stopped working after latest Windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone stopped working after latest Windows update: I've been unable to join Teams and Zoom calls as my internal microphone stopped working after the April 13 Windows update. I've checked to ensure that my drivers are up to date and everything else is fine. Seems like others are having the same issue. I'm using a Lenovo...
  5. Razer Kraken microphone stopped working after latest windows 10 Update

Razer Kraken microphone stopped working after latest windows 10 Update: I can no longer use the microphone and earphones of my Razer Kraken X at the same time. Either I set the Realtek HD Audio to stereo and the microphone is enabled but there is no sound in the earphones or I set Realtek HD to 7.1 surround and can hear through the earphones but...
  6. External microphone is not working after the latest update - Windows 10 Pro 20H2

External microphone is not working after the latest update - Windows 10 Pro 20H2: Hello, After today's update Windows 10 Pro 20H2, my external microphone does not work. I have checked a few things: * Microphone is turned on in Privacy settings * Microphone is correctly plugged in * Microphone is set as defaultin Sound otions: [ATTACH] I haven't...
  7. After updating Windows to latest version my microphone stopped working

After updating Windows to latest version my microphone stopped working: I updated Windows to latest version and my microphone stopped working as it was. I use Discord to play with my friends and strange fact was that they could hear sounds comming from my pc ex. music from Tidal, Youtube or system sounds. I updated all possible drivers and I...
  8. Camera and Microphone do not work after latest Microsoft Update

Camera and Microphone do not work after latest Microsoft Update: I am running Windows 10 on a Dell desktop computer. It has worked fine for years. After the last Microsoft Update on 9/10/20, I could not use either my microphone or camera on Skype. Within a few minutes of trying to make a video call the computer will lock up and my only...
  9. Microphone is not working. Shouldn't have updated to the latest version.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone is not working. Shouldn't have updated to the latest version.: So before I had updated to Windows 10 ver. 2004, everything was working impeccably. But when I did, the microphone had stopped working, and even with me doing all possible solutions, none had worked. These are the lists of what I had tried: Deleting the audio driver and...
  10. Microphone not working after latest Windows 10 update

Microphone not working after latest Windows 10 update: Microphone not working after latest Windows 10 update- I've checked the microphone box, enabled the box, run troubleshooter after troubleshooter, run diagnostics, open and checked Settings, enabled and checked it all in Settings, Tested, tried Cortana, which can't hear me...