Windows 10: Microphone not working for any connected device

Discus and support Microphone not working for any connected device in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The onboard microphone and the microphone in any device I connect will not work. The microphone shows as connected in the audio properties under the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by generalchang, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Microphone not working for any connected device

The onboard microphone and the microphone in any device I connect will not work.

The microphone shows as connected in the audio properties under the recording tab. But when I speak no green bars appear. It shows as connected and working in any app that uses a microphone e.g. zoom or skype but again nothing is picked up when I speak. This happens for all devices I connect which have a mic. If I try any of the same devices on another windows 10 device, they work fine.

Microphone not working for any connected device [​IMG]

In device manager all devices under audio inputs and outputs show as working ok.

Microphone not working for any connected device [​IMG]

I tried removing and re-installing realtek audio but this didn't work.

audio output is working ok

Windows 10 Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
    System Model XPS 13 9360
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 2.13.0, 14/11/2019
    [Sound Device]
    Name Realtek Audio
    Manufacturer Realtek
    Status OK
    PNP Device ID INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0256&SUBSYS_1028082A&REV_1000\4&32B8B7C&1&0001
    Driver C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\RTKVHD64.SYS (6.0.1.8622, 6.26 MB (6,561,800 bytes), 19/03/2020 23:26)

:)

generalchang, Mar 19, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Mar 19, 2020
  3. Aceman.au Win User
    Sennheiser GSP 350. Microphone stops working when I open any game

Wow, ok. I think I've fixed it by accident while fiddling around.

It appears to be the Realtek audio being the issue here. I don't use my onboard sound card as my headset is a USB headset only and my speakers are plugged into an ASUS sound card.

Step by step fix:
    • I went into recording devices
    • I enabled STEREO MIX (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    • Then I set that Stereo Mix as the DEFAULT DEVICE (At this point it took over both input and output devices without my permission )
    • Then set my Sennheiser headset as default recording and playback devices in their respective windows even though they both still said they were the default devices when they weren't
    Headset microphone is currently functioning while in game now. I'll update the thread if it goes again. Should I completely disable Realtek audio??? Or will windows just force it to work again?

Aceman.au, Mar 19, 2020
  4. Microphone not working for any connected device

Microphone connection

Hi,

Regarding your query with your microphone connection, we suggest to answer the following questions below:

• What is the make and model of your microphone?
    • What is the specs of your microphone?

We look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

Microphone not working for any connected device

1. Microphone not working for any connected device - Similar Threads - Microphone working connected

2. Microphone not working for any headset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone not working for any headset: So today my computer microphone no longer works. I last used it last Monday on discord, have not restarted and no other changes have been made. Today I log into discord like usual and notice the mic doesn't work. Using Razer Baracuda X. Unplugged and went to wife's laptop and...
  3. Microphone not working for any headset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone not working for any headset: So today my computer microphone no longer works. I last used it last Monday on discord, have not restarted and no other changes have been made. Today I log into discord like usual and notice the mic doesn't work. Using Razer Baracuda X. Unplugged and went to wife's laptop and...
  4. Why doesn't any microphone work on my windows device.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why doesn't any microphone work on my windows device.: Microphones won't work on my pc. Suddenly my mic stopped working and now every microphone don't work on my device. I have tried to download drivers but they don't work and I lost hope. I have an own built device with an asus motherboard, ryzen 5 prosessor and a radeon...
  5. Why doesn't any microphone work on my windows device.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why doesn't any microphone work on my windows device.: Microphones won't work on my pc. Suddenly my mic stopped working and now every microphone don't work on my device. I have tried to download drivers but they don't work and I lost hope. I have an own built device with an asus motherboard, ryzen 5 prosessor and a radeon...
  6. Why doesn't any microphone work on my windows device.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Microphone works in windows, but not in any programs.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microphone works in windows, but not in any programs.: Hi there,I've had this issue for a couple days and haven't been able to find a solution. I have a Razer headset that has always worked. I recently upgraded my graphics card but everything else is the same. Since I upgraded the graphics card, none of my programs zoom, discord,...
  8. Microphone works in windows, but not in any programs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone works in windows, but not in any programs.: Hi there,I've had this issue for a couple days and haven't been able to find a solution. I have a Razer headset that has always worked. I recently upgraded my graphics card but everything else is the same. Since I upgraded the graphics card, none of my programs zoom, discord,...
  9. Microphone connection with Cortina not working

in Cortana
    Microphone connection with Cortina not working: microphone working but will not connect to Cortana or Zoom tested no sound have spoken to agent but could not put right any advice?This seems after an update...
  10. Microphone not working for any connected device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone not working for any connected device: The onboard microphone and the microphone in any device I connect will not work. The microphone shows as connected in the audio properties under the recording tab. But when I speak no green bars appear. It shows as connected and working in any app that uses a microphone e.g....