Windows 10: Microphone not working on PC (but working on other devices)

Discus and support Microphone not working on PC (but working on other devices) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a headset with a built in mic and an adapter that connects the single audio jack to both the headphone and microphone ports on a PC. I logged on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kevin1216, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Kevin1216 Win User

Microphone not working on PC (but working on other devices)

I have a headset with a built in mic and an adapter that connects the single audio jack to both the headphone and microphone ports on a PC. I logged on to the family pc for the first time in a few months and noticed that the microphone only picked up a static sound, no actual audio. I connected the headset with the adapter to both my phone and personal laptop and the microphone worked just fine, so I assumed it was a driver issue, however after updating the Realtek HD Audio driver and restarting the computer the issue remains. Is there anything else I could do that might solve the issue?

:)

Kevin1216, Jun 17, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jun 17, 2020
  3. Aceman.au Win User
    Sennheiser GSP 350. Microphone stops working when I open any game

Wow, ok. I think I've fixed it by accident while fiddling around.

It appears to be the Realtek audio being the issue here. I don't use my onboard sound card as my headset is a USB headset only and my speakers are plugged into an ASUS sound card.

Step by step fix:
    • I went into recording devices
    • I enabled STEREO MIX (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    • Then I set that Stereo Mix as the DEFAULT DEVICE (At this point it took over both input and output devices without my permission )
    • Then set my Sennheiser headset as default recording and playback devices in their respective windows even though they both still said they were the default devices when they weren't
    Headset microphone is currently functioning while in game now. I'll update the thread if it goes again. Should I completely disable Realtek audio??? Or will windows just force it to work again?

Aceman.au, Jun 17, 2020
  4. Microphone not working on PC (but working on other devices)

MS LifeChat LX 3000 microphone not working

Hi,

It can be a faulty driver that is causing your microphone not to work. We suggest that you run the hardware troubleshooter. Troubleshooters can find and fix many common problems for you. See steps below:

• On the Search bar, type Troubleshoot.
    • Click on Troubleshoot.
    • Select Hardware and Devices then click on Run the troubleshooter.

Also make sure that the microphone in not disabled and set as default. Follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the volume icon and select Recording devices.
    • Right-click on the Microphone, then select Show disconnected devices and
      Show disabled devices.
    • Double click on the Microphone and under Device Usage:, select
      Use this device (enabled).
    • Also make sure that the Microphone is set as default.

If the issue still occurs, try uninstalling and reinstalling the headset driver.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Robelene Win, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

Microphone not working on PC (but working on other devices)

1. Microphone not working on PC (but working on other devices) - Similar Threads - Microphone working working

2. Mouse not working, but other USB devices work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse not working, but other USB devices work: I just recently got a new mouse, and now it's not working. I tried using my old mouse but it didn't work either. I tried using a USB Hub but it still wouldn't work. The only thing that works is if I charge my phone using my laptop USB port. Is this a software or a hardware...
  3. Mouse not working, but other USB devices work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse not working, but other USB devices work: I just recently got a new mouse, and now it's not working. I tried using my old mouse but it didn't work either. I tried using a USB Hub but it still wouldn't work. The only thing that works is if I charge my phone using my laptop USB port. Is this a software or a hardware...
  4. Mouse not working, but other USB devices work

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Headphone microphone shown to work in settings and other devices but not in the apps on my...

Headphone microphone shown to work in settings and other devices but not in the apps on my...: Hello, I've tried looking online for various solutions and none so far were satisfactory. When using the microphone from my headphones on Discord or through Zoom no audio is detected. However when going through the Windows audio settings it seems to be working fine. I have...
  6. Microphone works in other devices but has no sensitivity when plugged in to computer

Microphone works in other devices but has no sensitivity when plugged in to computer: My microphone has no problems when plugged in to another device but when plugged into my computer it's sensitivity is down the drain, but my computer can't detect any audio problems or new drivers...Someone help me please, thanks! * Original title: What do I do?...
  7. Microphone working on other computers but not mine.

Microphone working on other computers but not mine.: So a few months back my mic didnt work on my pc. So i tested it on my sisters computer and my cousins computer and it worked. i've also done what all the tutorials told me to do, But none work. They all just say "uninstall drivers and restart" Which ive done 10 times. I've...
  8. microphone was working the other day but will not work anymore.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    microphone was working the other day but will not work anymore.: On any apps. I found this out in a discord call with my friend, where no sound would play when i talked. it's pullged in, set up, and enabled. I'm actually kinda pissed and microsoft's bot support is so terrible that it helped me in no way. submitted by /u/Epic_Doge_Boi...
  9. Microphone doesn´t work on own pc. Does work on other computers. Different microphone does...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone doesn´t work on own pc. Does work on other computers. Different microphone does...: I got this mic but like the posts says it doesn´t work. A different microphone i just plug in and it works instantly, i didn´t even have to touch settings for it. Both my microphones work on other pc/devices. Does anyone know a fix for this, i tried everything i could find....
  10. Internet randomly stops working on PC (works fine on other devices)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet randomly stops working on PC (works fine on other devices): So it just happens 100% random out of no where and I get this error: (note i ripped this image off google but this is the exact thing that happens) [img] so I found TWO temporary fixes. One: unplug router / modem for 10 sec and replug Two: Go to the network...