Windows 10: Microphone not working, only works with cortana

Discus and support Microphone not working, only works with cortana in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; For some stupid reason my microphone is being detected, works perfectly fine, but literally every application other than cortana does not work. Before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/_Dwagin_, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Microphone not working, only works with cortana

For some stupid reason my microphone is being detected, works perfectly fine, but literally every application other than cortana does not work. Before you ask, yes I have enabled apps to use my microphone. Windows has detected no issues with it, and it says everything is working fine but clearly something isn't. I've reset the system, updated drivers, changed usb ports, and nothing has changed. It only happened when I shut down my PC and turned it back on. Im getting really frustrated right now and I don't want to waste my day trying to fix some crap like this.

submitted by /u/_Dwagin_
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/_Dwagin_, Oct 17, 2020

2. Cortana not working with new microphone

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will assist you with this issue.

• Was Cortana working before using the Microphone?
    • Does Cortana work without the Microphone?
    • Did you install all pending Windows Updates?

I suggest you to follow the below link and check if everything is set correctly in order for Cortana to work.

Why is Cortana not available for me on Windows 10?

Cortana can’t hear me – Microphone level keeps getting set to zero.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Oct 17, 2020
  3. Microphone not working with Cortana

Hi,

I appreciate you for providing detail of the issue.

I suggest you to try below steps and check if it helps.

• Type Cortana & Search settings.
    • Slide the slider to On in Hey Cortana.
    Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Ashwin V S, Oct 17, 2020
  4. Microphone not working, only works with cortana

cortana not working

Hi Keith,

This concern that you're experiencing with Cortana might be due to an outdated driver, incorrect settings, corrupted system files or even due to a hardware issue. For us to provide you with an appropriate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you using an external or a built-in microphone?
    • Have you tried using other applications which involve using a microphone? See and verify if the device works.

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you visit this link which includes
    some things you can try if you're having problems with the Start menu or Cortana.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Lizette Ags, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

Microphone not working, only works with cortana

1. Microphone not working, only works with cortana - Similar Threads - Microphone working works

2. Microphone only working in browser

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone only working in browser: Hi, i dont really know why, but my microphone only works in chrome and brave browser. No other software or application. Doesn't work on discord, on obs, on zoom, on Skype. Not even in the windows setting appIt's been like this for 3 years now and i tried everything. Checked...
  3. Microphone only working in browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone only working in browser: Hi, i dont really know why, but my microphone only works in chrome and brave browser. No other software or application. Doesn't work on discord, on obs, on zoom, on Skype. Not even in the windows setting appIt's been like this for 3 years now and i tried everything. Checked...
  4. Microphone only working in browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microphone only working for a split-second

Microphone only working for a split-second: Hello! At the end of last year I built a new PC. I have now realised that for some reason the mic is not working...The microphone is detected, but for whatever reason it does not work. When i start the test for audio recoding it works for a split-second in the beginning, but...
  6. Microphone not working in ask Cortana

in Cortana
    Microphone not working in ask Cortana: Microphone not working in ask Cortana tried all settings to no avail happened since windows update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-not-working-in-ask-cortana/f05ef0d6-82df-4a25-9e3d-d116b312613c
  7. microphone no longer works, only works with earphones

microphone no longer works, only works with earphones: My microphone only works when I connect my earphones and speak into them but when I disconnect the earphones the laptop can't hear me at all.DELL LATITUDE E6420 . This problem wasn't there before so I don't know what the hell happened I really need the mic for online meetings...
  8. Audio and microphone only works seperately.

Audio and microphone only works seperately.: It worked fine untill recently. I have a USB audio card called Focusrite Saffire 6 USB. The driver never supported windows 10, but has been working all the way untill recently. When I start my pc I get mic signal in the 'recording' tab in sounds option, and when I test...
  9. Microphone only works on Discord.

Microphone only works on Discord.: My microphone only works on discord. Its at default in the recording settings. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-only-works-on-discord/b2867288-d343-4ee2-8eed-caa6498d1aab
  10. Cortana works only in one partition

Cortana works only in one partition: Hi, i have a machine with two Win 10. One is over an SDD and the other on a ordinary HDD. I have an issue with Cortana in the second Win 10... I press "WIN" and write something but nothing work... only White tab. While in the other Win 10 on the SDD Cortana works...