Windows 10: Microphone not working when plugged in

Discus and support Microphone not working when plugged in in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I plug my headset into my computer running windows 10 home, the microphone doesn't work, however when it is unplugged the microphone does work.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Wyanston, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Wyanston Win User

Microphone not working when plugged in

When I plug my headset into my computer running windows 10 home, the microphone doesn't work, however when it is unplugged the microphone does work. I've checked if the cable is broken, and it isn't as the microphone works on all my other devices. I've run the troubleshooter for the microphone, and it says that it can not find the issue. When the headset is plugged in and unplugged the computer still recognises both the microphone and speaker as "Realtek R Audio"

Does anyone have any suggestions that I can do to fix this?

:)

Wyanston, Jan 19, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jan 19, 2020
  3. makesense Win User
    Windows 10 No microphone will work

Sorry about the long response time. Work sucks sometime.

I tried both a headset microphone and the usb microphone on another Windows 10 computer. It did not pick up any microphone signal and was showing the same emulated sound output as I noted before.

That is what is really bothering me. Both computers detect the microphones, yet output is being directed to them as well as any plugged in speaker/headphone.

makesense, Jan 19, 2020
  4. Microphone not working when plugged in

microphone is not working

Hi Junezryaz,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10 and your steps in solving the issue.

I suggest you to run the microphone troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooter” in the search box and press Enter.
    • Click on ‘View All’ on the top left corner.
    • Click on “Recording Audio” from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Hope the information is helpful. Please revert back with the necessary information and we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jan 19, 2020
Thema:

Microphone not working when plugged in

1. Microphone not working when plugged in - Similar Threads - Microphone working plugged

2. Microphone not working when earphone is plugged in.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone not working when earphone is plugged in.: I am encountering an issue where, upon connecting my earphones, my microphone becomes non-functional. After investigating, I discovered that the microphone on my earphones is not working. I attempted to disable the earphones’ microphone to utilize my laptop’s built-in...
  3. Microphone not working when headphone is plugged in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone not working when headphone is plugged in.: I am encountering an issue where, upon connecting my headphones, my microphone becomes non-functional. After investigating, I discovered that the microphone on my headphones is not working. I attempted to disable the headphones’ microphone to utilize my laptop’s built-in...
  4. Microphone not working when headphone is plugged in.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone not working when headphone is plugged in.: I am encountering an issue where, upon connecting my headphones, my microphone becomes non-functional. After investigating, I discovered that the microphone on my headphones is not working. I attempted to disable the headphones’ microphone to utilize my laptop’s built-in...
  5. Microphone not working when headphone is plugged in.

6. "Microphone Not Plugged In" when it is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Microphone Not Plugged In" when it is...: Hello,I've recently had a new issue come up on my PC. My headset mic has seized to be detected on my Dell XPS PC Windows 11. I've never had this issue, and I've had the PC for almost a year now, and same with my headset. My microphone is not being detected no matter what,...
  7. "Microphone Not Plugged In" when it is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Microphone Not Plugged In" when it is...: Hello,I've recently had a new issue come up on my PC. My headset mic has seized to be detected on my Dell XPS PC Windows 11. I've never had this issue, and I've had the PC for almost a year now, and same with my headset. My microphone is not being detected no matter what,...
  8. Microphone doesn't work when earphones are plugged in.

Microphone doesn't work when earphones are plugged in.: Hello, my microphone Maono au-pm461 TR doesn't work when I plug in any headphones, I tested "noname" headphones, Razer electra v2 and razer kraken essential. When I plug in microphone and headphones microphone doesn't work or headphones doesn't works for example I have error...
  9. Laptop microphone doesn't work when headphones with no microphone is plugged in

Laptop microphone doesn't work when headphones with no microphone is plugged in: It used to work but then I accidentally deleted Realtek HD Audio because when I try and open this programme, it tells me it doesn't exist and directs me to the Microsoft Store. I would then download it because I am prompted to do this but it still doesn't work so I ended up...
  10. Microphone doesn't work when the headphones are plugged in

Microphone doesn't work when the headphones are plugged in: When my headphones are not plugged in, my microphone works. I guess this must be related to an option windows asked me about preference after updating my driver, but i cant find anywhere how i can revert that....