Windows 10: Microphone not working when selected as "Headset", does work with "Mic in" or "Line in"

Discus and support Microphone not working when selected as "Headset", does work with "Mic in" or "Line in" in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've got a headset that I've been using with my Windows 10 laptop (Acer Aspire A515-54-51DJ), and I was using it earlier today without issue and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JohnQZoidberg, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Microphone not working when selected as "Headset", does work with "Mic in" or "Line in"

I've got a headset that I've been using with my Windows 10 laptop (Acer Aspire A515-54-51DJ), and I was using it earlier today without issue and then all of a sudden the microphone stopped registering. When I unplug it and plug it back in and it asks me to select the input type, if I select headset the mic doesn't register at all but if I select mic in or line in then the mic works - but then the audio output comes from the computer speakers and not the headphones.

Has anyone encountered this and found a solution? I've tried driver updates, system updates, checking any and all audio settings I can find and nothing gets the mic reading. I've tried running troubleshooter and it returns nothing. I really don't know what else to try and would love any assistance. Thanks in advance

My laptop is running Windows 10 Home v1909, OS build 18363.1379

submitted by /u/JohnQZoidberg
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/JohnQZoidberg, Mar 6, 2021

2. Headset Mic Not Working

I really need some help.

I have a Cloud Stinger HyperX headset.

So the Microphone was working fine for many months then a few weeks ago it just stopped.

It does not show up on my list of Recording Devices anymore.

The only Mic I have is the one built in the computer.

I have tried multiple solutions and nothing works. Any suggestions?

John6Johnson6, Mar 6, 2021
  3. Unkn(2) Win User
    windows 10 headset mic not working

Still not working for me. I did find out one more interesting fact:

I tried to go to Speech Properties (Advanced Speech Options -- under Speech Recognition)

and when I selected my Xbox 360 headset as the recording device, and restarted Speech Properties, it gave me the following error message:

"Could not initialize volume meter, please select a different recording device"

FYI -- I've messed with Privacy-Microphone and Control Panel-Sound settings to no avail: default devices, enabling/disabling, reinstalling drivers, levels, mute, etc. Nothing works. This is DEFINITELY a Windows 10 problem. My chat headset works great
    on my Xbox360 and when I was on Windows 7, my USB Xbox360 controller and chat headset were working perfectly. I'm regretting my upgrade and highly debating reverting back.

Update: I found another thread and they recommended the follow which worked for me...

Xbox360 Headset Microphone Not Working
    • Plug in Controller and Headset
    • Control Panel - Sound - Recording
      • Disable alternate microphones (eg: webcam mic)
    • Device Manager
      • Sound, video and game controllers - Headset (XBOX 360 For Windows)
        • Uninstall driver
      • Scan for Hardware Changes (will auto-install Xbox Headset)
    • Restart

Unkn(2), Mar 6, 2021
  4. OrbitzXT Win User

Microphone not working when selected as "Headset", does work with "Mic in" or "Line in"

Microphone & Headset not working

I was trying to overclock my processor and went a little too far and got a BSOD during Prime 95, I put settings back to they were that I know work, and when I got back into Windows 7 64-Bit everything was fine except my headphones and microphone were not working. They are separate things, not a mic-headset. The headphones are working fine with other music devices, I'm not sure what's wrong but it's frustrating since I go on skype a lot. I'm in the Recording tab in the Sound control panel and there is no noise being detected by the microphone. I've tried reinstalling the sound drivers but that didn't help. Any other ideas?

OrbitzXT, Mar 6, 2021
Thema:

Microphone not working when selected as "Headset", does work with "Mic in" or "Line in"

1. Microphone not working when selected as "Headset", does work with "Mic in" or "Line in" - Similar Threads - Microphone working selected

2. Headset Mic not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headset Mic not working: Recently I have bought a new headset Turtle Beach 50x as my old one broke, however the microphone on it does not work. I have tried everything but nothing seems to work.It is weird as before I broke my old headset, the mic worked fine and I was able to only need to use the...
  3. Headset Mic not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headset Mic not working: Recently I have bought a new headset Turtle Beach 50x as my old one broke, however the microphone on it does not work. I have tried everything but nothing seems to work.It is weird as before I broke my old headset, the mic worked fine and I was able to only need to use the...
  4. Headset Mic Not Working

Headset Mic Not Working: For the past few weeks I've been having issues with my mic and for a while I didn't have much but earlier today I discovered something. So as background my mic has broken multiple times, I thought it was my Oculus which part of it may be but then I used my Oculus and it...
  5. Headset's mic, not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headset's mic, not working.: I was using my laptop normally, Until My Microphone suddenly stopped working, I checked to see if i accidentally changed the default input setting, then i saw the Microphone was entirely gone. I checked "Device Manager", The Driver was gone too. I checked the "More audio...
  6. Headset mic not working

Headset mic not working: Hello everybody!I really hope somebody can help me, as I tried everything :I recently bought a Razer Blackshark V2 X headset with a 3.5mm jack. I have a Acer Nitro 5 laptop.When I plug the headset in, the audio is fine although th quality is not that great, but the mic won't...
  7. Headset Mic Not Working

Headset Mic Not Working: I'm experiencing an ongoing problem with the microphone on my headset when it is plugged into the front audio jack of my desktop PC. Between troubleshooting the issue varies between the following outcomes:- No input detected at all from my mic- Input is detected but very very...
  8. Microphone works with mic in option but not with headset option

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone works with mic in option but not with headset option: My mic suddenly stopped working yesterday. I've tried all the normal steps like setting my microphone as the default device, trying other headsets, restarting my pc, updating my drivers, etc. but I can't get it to work. I have noticed that although my mic does not work...
  9. Microphone not working with headset to mic splitter

Microphone not working with headset to mic splitter: Hi guys, I just spent about $10 getting a replacement cable for my headphones that has a mic built in. It's a 3.5mm headset cable has both mic and headphone audio that I've connected to a Y-splitter that goes to a mic cable and a headphone cable. These definitely work as...
  10. Headset Mic Not Working

Headset Mic Not Working: I really need some help. I have a Cloud Stinger HyperX headset. So the Microphone was working fine for many months then a few weeks ago it just stopped. It does not show up on my list of Recording Devices anymore. The only Mic I have is the one built in the computer. I...