Windows 10: Microphone only plays "static", nothing is being picked up anymore

Discus and support Microphone only plays "static", nothing is being picked up anymore in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I own a Razer D.Va headset, which worked perfectly fine with my old laptop. As I recently got a custom built PC, I figured the only thing I would need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Misanthrokarmic, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Microphone only plays "static", nothing is being picked up anymore

I own a Razer D.Va headset, which worked perfectly fine with my old laptop. As I recently got a custom built PC, I figured the only thing I would need to make the transition would be a 3.5mm stereo splitter cable, but to no avail, I just can't make the microphone work. The headphones sound just fine, so I don't think the cable is the problem. In case it was, I borrowed this microphone from a friend, but it still only plays static noises, my voice isn't being picked up

So far, I've tried:

-Windows audio Troubleshooter, it tells me no device is plugged in (which is strange, since I can find the microphone just fine on the Control Panel) This only happens when I plug the microphone in the rear panel.

-Updating all audio drivers, it says all of them are up to date. I even tried installing them from my mobo's website.

-Setting the headset microphone as the default device on the Device Manager.

-Disabling the Realtek Audio stereo mix on the Device Manager.

- On the Realtek Audio Console, I checked the option that goes "Separate all input jacks as independent input jacks" on the Advanced Settings.

-The static plays when it's plugged on the front panel and the back panel.

I'm just out of ideas at this point, I'm starting to wonder if it's a motherboard issue, but I honestly doubt it, since everything built into the PC was bought brand new. Please please help me fix this.

submitted by /u/Misanthrokarmic
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Misanthrokarmic, Mar 24, 2020
  2. PPM1 Win User

Realtek Microphone only picks up static

I've had a my Acer Aspire V15 Nitro laptop for only 2 weeks now, and I only just tried the inbuilt microphone out to find it's acting up. Sometimes it only broadcasts static and the bars in the Sound panel are constantly grey. Sometimes, green bars appear
    when I tap the mics in the screen frame, and sometimes it works fine for an hour or two, only to malfunction again the next time I start my laptop. The microphone type is Realtek High Definition Audio, and Windows Troubleshooter keeps trying to troubleshoot
    it, but can find nothing wrong. My headset microphone works fine.

Things I have tried:

> Uninstalling/reinstalling the driver

> Checking that the microphone is not muted in the Sound settings + making sure it is set as default device.

>Uninstalling some previous Microsoft updates.

> Restarting my machine after most changes to drivers and installations.

> Putting Levels and microphone boost up to max

>Enabling/disabling stereomix

>Disabling all sound effects and turning off Exclusive Mode

>Letting apps use the microphone in System Settings

>Troubleshooting various drivers

> Making sure the driver is updated

I have had the suggestion of a complete system restore, but I don't know whether it's worth it just for the in-built mic when I have one on my headset. I also don't know if this is a Windows issue or an Acer issue. Any suggestions?

3. PPM1 Win User
    Realtek Microphone only picks up static

I've had a my Acer Aspire V15 Nitro laptop for only 2 weeks now, and I only just tried the inbuilt microphone out to find it's acting up. Sometimes it only broadcasts static and the bars in the Sound panel are constantly grey. Sometimes, green bars appear
    when I tap the mics in the screen frame, and sometimes it works fine for an hour or two, only to malfunction again the next time I start my laptop. The microphone type is Realtek High Definition Audio, and Windows Troubleshooter keeps trying to troubleshoot
    it, but can find nothing wrong. My headset microphone works fine.

Things I have tried:

> Uninstalling/reinstalling the driver

> Checking that the microphone is not muted in the Sound settings + making sure it is set as default device.

>Uninstalling some previous Microsoft updates.

> Restarting my machine after most changes to drivers and installations.

> Putting Levels and microphone boost up to max

>Enabling/disabling stereomix

>Disabling all sound effects and turning off Exclusive Mode

>Letting apps use the microphone in System Settings

>Troubleshooting various drivers

> Making sure the driver is updated

I have had the suggestion of a complete system restore, but I don't know whether it's worth it just for the in-built mic when I have one on my headset. I also don't know if this is a Windows issue or an Acer issue. Any suggestions?

4. Riel Alc Win User

Microphone only plays "static", nothing is being picked up anymore

Microphone issues

Hi Michael,

Here are the possible reasons why you're getting an error "The microphone did not pick anything up" when using it:

• Incorrect settings (microphone is not set as default device)
    • Corrupted or outdated driver
    • Faulty device

For us to isolate the issue, we'd like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made to your computer prior to this issue(e.g. Windows updates)?
    • Have you tried connecting other microphone to your computer?
    • Have you tried connecting the microphone to the other computer?

In the meantime, we suggest running the Recording Audio Troubleshooter to find and repair problems with recording sound. We also suggest checking if your microphone is set as your default recording device. For troubleshooting steps, please see
    Geethu B's on this
    link.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Mar 24, 2020
Thema:

Microphone only plays "static", nothing is being picked up anymore

1. Microphone only plays "static", nothing is being picked up anymore - Similar Threads - Microphone plays static

2. My microphone only picks up the sound of my voice and nothing else.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My microphone only picks up the sound of my voice and nothing else.: My mic only picks up the sound of my voice, which is bad because I am trying to use my microphone to record an acoustic instrument. I cannot connect the acoustic instrument to the recording software I'm using, so I have to use a microphone for it. This is for a project, but I...
  3. My microphone only picks up the sound of my voice and nothing else.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My microphone only picks up the sound of my voice and nothing else.: My mic only picks up the sound of my voice, which is bad because I am trying to use my microphone to record an acoustic instrument. I cannot connect the acoustic instrument to the recording software I'm using, so I have to use a microphone for it. This is for a project, but I...
  4. Microphone only plays static and I can't talk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone only plays static and I can't talk: My audio was working fine for months then one day it randomly changed. The audio is perfect but then when i tried to call my friend, they said they only hear static the entire time. I tested my mic by hearing myself and its true, all i heard was static the entire time. I...
  5. Windows 10 Microphone Playing Only static.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Microphone Playing Only static.: Hello All.For the past two weeks i have tried, but failed, to fix a static noise issue i have been having with my mic. Issue: Constant static noise coming through mic when I listen to it. I Have Tried: Ensuring that my microphone was enabledTurning all of the enhancements for...
  6. USB MICROPHONE ISN'T BEING PICKED UP

USB MICROPHONE ISN'T BEING PICKED UP: my usb microphone wont be recognized by my pc. ive looked up other people who have had the same issue and tried those methods to fix it, but nothing works. ive done everything from troubleshooting to reinstalling drivers and nothing of the sorts work. the light on the mic is...
  7. Microphone being detected by windows but no sound is being picked up

Microphone being detected by windows but no sound is being picked up: So I have been having issues with new computer trying to get my microphone sorted. I have a Turtle Beach wired headset and have an audio splitter connecting it to my desktop. I first tried the front panel connectors and then tried the audio panel on the motherboard at the...
  8. No Microphone is being picked up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No Microphone is being picked up: I have two microphones; one on a Razer headset, the other on an Oculus Rift CV1. I started a Discord call with a buddy and noticed the app wasn't picking up my headset mic. I went to Windows Settings and found that when I tested the mic, Windows didn't pick anything up from...
  9. Microphone only picking up static

Microphone only picking up static: I recently got a new computer and all I have for a mic/headphones is a cheap pair of headphones with an inline mic. I bought an adaptor so I can use my headphones for discord but when I plugged in the adaptor, all my friends can hear is static when I talk. I can also hear the...
  10. Microphone exclusively picking up static.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone exclusively picking up static.: I got a new cable for my microphone today, an AUX to XLR cable, (the original cable was a USB to XLR cable but the USB part ended up falling apart so i bought an AUX to XLR instead.) and i tried testing the microphone with Audacity and Discord but both programmed picked up...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microphone only picks up static

2. headset microphone only plays static noise