Windows 10: Microphone picks up output sound

Discus and support Microphone picks up output sound in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For some reason, my headphone microphone keeps picking up the sound played through my computer. So, for example, when I'm watching a YouTube video... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JoshM_, Aug 20, 2019.

1. JoshM_ Win User

Microphone picks up output sound

For some reason, my headphone microphone keeps picking up the sound played through my computer. So, for example, when I'm watching a YouTube video while in a Discord call, everyone in the call will be able to hear the audio from the video.

I've got no idea why this is happening, I've tried messing with the Windows and Realtek sound/mic settings but I haven't been able to find a solution yet. I have every single output/input disabled except for the headphones and the microphone.

Here's a video of the output audio playing through the microphone:

https://imgur.com/a/cBCZ2XI

My desktop computer is running windows 10, and I'm using a mic splitter to plug the headphones into both input and output (not sure if this might be causing the problem). The headphones I'm using are Skullcandy Uproar. From what I understand the mic is built into the part that goes on your ear, not sure if it might be that sound somehow leaking into the microphone.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

:)

JoshM_, Aug 20, 2019
  2. Arcadian Win User

Microphone still unable to pick up sound from Dragon Speech

Not a techie at all sorry but follow your general drift which is interesting. I've now got a mike input (USB Pro Sound) but how do you make the connection to the headphone output as there's two separate wires ?

Arcadian, Aug 20, 2019
  3. Microphone is picking up the laptop's sounds.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10.

I understand your concern about using Microphone as expected on Windows 10, we will assist you with this issue.

I would suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

• Right click on the sound icon in the taskbar and select the
      Recording Devices menu.

• In the Recording
      tab of Sounds window, you will notice the microphone which is active, i.e. the one with a green tick mark. Right click on the active microphone and select its
      Properties.

• Select the Levels Tab. This tab exhibits you two sections:
      Microphone andMicrophone Boost.

• Use the sliders to modify your volume settings. You can take the Microphone Boost slider up to +40 dB. To save the changes click on Ok.

If you do the modification while the conversation goes on then you will get the immediate feedback of the output sound from the end user and so you can adjust the volume using the sliders as per requirement.

Method 2:

• Right click on Start to open the Power User Menu.

• Click on Control panel and then on
      Sound.

• Click on the Communication tab in the sound window. You will see four options under
      When Windows detects Communication activities.

• Click on the radio button next to
      Do nothing. Click on Apply and then
      OK. You might need to restart the computer to implement the changes.

Hope it helps. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 20, 2019
  4. makesense Win User

Windows 10 No microphone will work

Sorry about the long response time. Work sucks sometime.

I tried both a headset microphone and the usb microphone on another Windows 10 computer. It did not pick up any microphone signal and was showing the same emulated sound output as I noted before.

That is what is really bothering me. Both computers detect the microphones, yet output is being directed to them as well as any plugged in speaker/headphone.

makesense, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Microphone picks up output sound - Similar Threads - Microphone picks output

2. Microphone picking up headphones sounds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone picking up headphones sounds: My microphone keeps picking up audio from my headphones i tried everything, going to control panel then sound and those things and tried to downgrade the version of my drivers nothing works i sat here for like 2 hours trying to look up tutorials on youtube and nothing works....
  3. Microphone picking up headphones sounds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone picking up headphones sounds: My microphone keeps picking up audio from my headphones i tried everything, going to control panel then sound and those things and tried to downgrade the version of my drivers nothing works i sat here for like 2 hours trying to look up tutorials on youtube and nothing works....
  4. Microphone picking up headphones sounds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My microphone picks up no sound!

My microphone picks up no sound!: To top it off when I right click the volume in the taskbar there is no recording devices present. My microphone is part of a web-cam or a blue-tooth headphone with microphone, I have two recording devices....
  6. Microphone doesn't pick up sound, was working

Microphone doesn't pick up sound, was working: Realtek auto array Microphone doesn't pick up sound, was working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-doesnt-pick-up-sound-was-working/f3edc218-b259-44c6-8df2-5ab17d758055
  7. microphone picking up speaker's sound.

microphone picking up speaker's sound.: How do I stop my microphone from picking up my speaker's sounds? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-picking-up-speakers-sound/ff8e2c05-6af0-4b7f-80a4-bb32b73bb741
  8. Microphone barely picking up any sound

Microphone barely picking up any sound: I have a Lenovo Ideapad L340 and use the built in microphone which is a RealTek , never had an issue with it. Talked with people using my laptop this morning, all good. Went out for lunch, came back and now it barely picks up any sound, nothing changed as far as I know,...
  9. Microphone detected but not picking up sound

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone detected but not picking up sound: My microphone and stereo's stopped working after a bunch of driver updates on my earlier windows install. I figured that hey, since I need to fresh install anyway again, I won't bother digging deeper into what could've caused it and just plain simply reinstalled windows. Now...
  10. Microphone picks up computer sound

Microphone picks up computer sound: I have recently had a problem where my microphone will take output sounds of my computer such as music or videos and games even when my microphone is not turned on. This seemed to be happening ever since I got my headphones plugged in as I recently built a new computer and...