Windows 10: Microphone Requirements For Cortana

Discus and support Microphone Requirements For Cortana in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have Cortana set up and working pretty nicely with this microphone. http://www.amazon.com/Kinobo-Microph...8980144&sr=1-1 On initial setup I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Datapod, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Datapod Win User

Microphone Requirements For Cortana

I have Cortana set up and working pretty nicely with this microphone.

http://www.amazon.com/Kinobo-Microph...8980144&sr=1-1

On initial setup I did get the "might not work so good with this microphone" (paraphrasing) dialog.

To my Star Trek delight it responds to "Hey Cortana" fairly consistently and I'd estimate speech recognition in the mid to upper 90% range even in a room with some background noise. TV etc...

Being curious i started looking into "can I make it better." That was about an hour ago. Microphone Requirements For Cortana :)

Specs from Microsoft call for a "High fidelity microphone array and Hardware driver with microphone array geometry exposed. Huh?

After copious Googling I haven't been able to come up with anywhere or anybody that will fess up to having such a thing for sale.

My question then is. Can anybody link me to a product page that shows a microphone for a desktop computer sporting those capabilities? It could be either USB or 3.5 mm for use with a discrete SoundBlaster card.

Thanks in advance.

D

:)

Datapod, Aug 6, 2015

2. cortana not responding to voice commands

Is there any message displayed? For many things Cortana requires a data connection, and that in part requires an accurate date and time. Did you correct the date and time and did that change Cortana's behavior?

Is this limited to only your voice, if you type the same query instead of using the Microphone does Cortana respond as expected? If it is just the Microphone, can you open OneNote and create a new note and press the Microphone there? Does it work?

Finally, are you on the latest preview version 8.10.12393.890?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg [MSFT], Aug 6, 2015
  3. garym123 Win User
    Can Cortana record Audio lectures

Cortana does not record.

Tap search, then 'see more' . Tap the Cortana menu, top right when you open Cortana.

There is already a microphone icon in onenote to record. I don't know if there are length limitations or what the record space requirements are.

garym123, Aug 6, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Any decent Gaming headset would work. You could probably use a Bluetooth headset with no issues.

bro67, Aug 7, 2015
  5. Datapod Win User
    Thank you bro67 for taking the time to reply. I'm sure you are correct. As I said what I'm using now works fairly well.

I should have been more specific. I am not interested in wearing a headset.

I am looking for something which specifically meets Microsoft's stated system requirements of a "High fidelity microphone array AND hardware driver with microphone array geometry exposed" which I can use from the desk.

More of a curiosity really since I really don't know what that means nor can I seem to find anyone who does.

Thanks

D

Datapod, Aug 7, 2015
  6. Funny I should stumble upon this post after I stumbled upon the same description for preparing to start a n00b pod cast lol

After a quick google I can see this : Amazon.com: Andrea (C1-1019800-1) SoundMAX Superbeam Array Microphone - 3.5 mm Connector: Computers Accessories

(Should I not be able to link here in this post, here's a quick description:
    Overview: Andrea Electronics External digital stereo audio PC superbeam array microphone with 3.5mm conector. Andrea PC microphone accessories are designed for PC Communications applications, Enhancing the audio input experience. Features: SUMA stereo microphone input supports sample rates up to 48K for high quality voice input. Use with Andrea's AudioCommander software to optimize multimedia control. Provides control of audio input technology, and features: DSDA2 and 3 beam forming and PureAudio noise reduction software. Provides directional array microphone noise cancellation, designed to enable far-field (Headsets free) speech recognition command and control performance. No Filtering: Provides unfiltered stereo microphone audio input for high fidelity stereo recordings. Package Contens: Aray 2S Microphone Driver Software User Manual

I have marked the part that I deem important here. The fact that a stereo mic really technically is an array of two mics makes me think that this is what they are talking about with the "first" part. The second part is obviously referring to being able to capture in stereo on a driver level. (Which I don't think should pose a problem in this day and age, but who knows?)

Please note that I offer this purely as food for thought and not in any way against you. This is just how I understand this.

I think my requirements for starting a high quality podcast from scratch with not a lot of experience are very similar to yours when I look at existing documentation.

I'mt thinking however, while perusing google, that on (for example) youtube, these guys use different mic's (sorry for the awkward linking).

So now I am even more confused *Huh

mitoskalandiel, Feb 9, 2016
  7. Datapod Win User
    Funnier still. That's the one I ended up with. Works great for Cortana.

Microphone Requirements For Cortana [​IMG]

Datapod, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Microphone Requirements For Cortana - Similar Threads - Microphone Requirements Cortana

2. None of my microphones is compatible with Cortana

in Windows 10 Gaming
    None of my microphones is compatible with Cortana: I have a PC I built, and none of my microphones are working with Cortana. I have a headset with a mic, the webcam has a mic, and even a separate microphone. How come none of them shows up when I try to activate Cortana? Please help....
  3. None of my microphones is compatible with Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    None of my microphones is compatible with Cortana: I have a PC I built, and none of my microphones are working with Cortana. I have a headset with a mic, the webcam has a mic, and even a separate microphone. How come none of them shows up when I try to activate Cortana? Please help....
  4. Microphone not working in ask Cortana

in Cortana
    Microphone not working in ask Cortana: Microphone not working in ask Cortana tried all settings to no avail happened since windows update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-not-working-in-ask-cortana/f05ef0d6-82df-4a25-9e3d-d116b312613c
  5. Microphone not working, only works with cortana

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone not working, only works with cortana: For some stupid reason my microphone is being detected, works perfectly fine, but literally every application other than cortana does not work. Before you ask, yes I have enabled apps to use my microphone. Windows has detected no issues with it, and it says everything is...
  6. Cortana, Bluetooth and Microphones

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cortana, Bluetooth and Microphones: Recently, I built a new rig and I want to give Cortana another try (last time was when it was still newly released for Canada). Windows 10 doesn't let Cortana work with Bluetooth microphones, such as the one in my Sennheiser Momentum M2 wireless noise cancelling headphones....
  7. Cortana microphone

in Cortana
    Cortana microphone: I cannot cortana to work on my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-microphone/0d95770a-5255-4c8d-aab7-fd31d3ecb27a
  8. Cortana and Microphone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cortana and Microphone: Cortana can't hear me. My laptop microphone worked to talk to Cortana now I get the message no microphone Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-and-microphone/da94e8e8-8f14-4391-bbc6-64ca90133c5f
  9. cortana requires me to sign in

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    cortana requires me to sign in: When I try to use cortana it says I need to sign in but I am already signed in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-requires-me-to-sign-in/fabfbd86-e0a2-4b0a-83b0-0fbf34fdab2f"
  10. Cortana not istening to microphone.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana not istening to microphone.: Tried to set up Cortana to recognize my voice but it keeps on saying that Computer is not listening. [img] Microphone (Analog, connected to the back) works of course, applications like Skype hear it just fine, boost is on to maximum and it shows volume in Cortana tests....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortana requirements

2. cortana hardware requirements

3. computer microphone requirements

4. requirements for cortana,
  5. requirements mic for cortana on pc