Windows 10: Microphone seem to be broken

Discus and support Microphone seem to be broken in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This started yesterday, but my microphone suddenly stopped working. When I listen to the device, it's just constant white noise. I have no idea how to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by andrewbernales, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Microphone seem to be broken

This started yesterday, but my microphone suddenly stopped working. When I listen to the device, it's just constant white noise. I have no idea how to fix this. If I disable or mute the microphone, and I turn up the microphone volume on the speakers, I still hear white noise, I have no idea how useful this info is but I figured I might as well say it.

Things I've already attempted to fix this problem:

• Uninstall and reinstall the microphone drivers
    • Switch between the two microphone jacks on my pc (the second one I attempted to use had a different sound to the other one, but it's still white noise)
    • Disable sound enhancements
    • Attempt to use the troubleshoot program but it didn't detect anything

I'm not good with computers, so I don't know if I'm missing something, but I'd really like to know if this is fixable or not apart from buying a new microphone.

Extra info that might help:

• If I turn up the volume on my microphone in the sound program, including the boost. I'm able to see a single flickering green bar on the sounds
    • I've recently updated my AMD drivers, but my microphone still worked after that so I'm not sure of that's a contributing factor
    • I was playing a video game called 'For Honor' when my microphone suddenly stopped working
    • I don't know the classifications of mics, but mine seems to resemble shotgun mics the most

:)

andrewbernales, Dec 3, 2018
  2. Isha Soni Win User

Microphone is broken.

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum. I will certainly help you with this.

We apologize for the delay in response.

This issue could occur due to incompatible or corrupted device drivers. Let’s try to follow these methods below which can help us resolving this issue.

What is the make and model of your computer and microphone?

Method 1: Run audio troubleshooter.

You might be able to solve some problems by running a troubleshooter that will automatically fix some common issues with audio.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key on your keyboard
    • Type Troubleshooting and click
      Troubleshooting..
    • Click on view all (on the left)
    • Select Playing Audio
      troubleshooter
    • Follow the prompted steps to troubleshoot this issue.
    If the issue persist, follow method 2.

Method 2: Check for the microphone settings.

Step 1:
    I would suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"
    • Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".
    • Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".
    • Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".
    • Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.
    • Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.
    • Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

If the issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3: Update the sound drivers.

Step 1: Check for the latest driver update through Windows Updates.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.
    • Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select
      Install optional updates from the left results.
    • When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Incompatible or not properly installed graphics card drivers are the most common cause of this issue.

Step 2: Follow the steps below to update the sound drivers.

• Press Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    • Go to device manager.
    • Right-click your audio/sound devices.
    • Click Update Driver Software and then follow the steps in the wizard that appears.
    Restart the computer and check.

Step 2: Check in
    compatibility mode.

Download the drivers from the manufacture's website for Windows 10, if not available.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on
    ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
    ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.

d. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

You may also refer: Make older
    programs compatible with this version of Windows
    (Steps applies to Windows 10)

You can get back to us if you have any difficulties in doing the same. We are always here to help you.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Dec 3, 2018
  3. mab1376 Win User
    Broken Microphone

My ibuypower laptop has a broken internal microphone, does anyone know where I can get another one?

It's basically a re-branded Compal IFL90.

mab1376, Dec 3, 2018
  4. Arun B J Win User

Microphone seem to be broken

Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

Microphone seem to be broken

1. Microphone seem to be broken - Similar Threads - Microphone seem broken

2. Microphone broken

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone broken: I have recently had an issue with my microphone. I play a lot of fortnite and I have wanted to use online chat but my microphone only works if it is close to my mouth and then it is still quiet. I have tried troubleshooting my microphone but it says it could not fix it. It...
  3. Microphone broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone broken: I have recently had an issue with my microphone. I play a lot of fortnite and I have wanted to use online chat but my microphone only works if it is close to my mouth and then it is still quiet. I have tried troubleshooting my microphone but it says it could not fix it. It...
  4. Microphone broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Bluetooth seems to be broken

Bluetooth seems to be broken: Hi all,I'm not sure what happened but in the process of getting my new computer up and running and installing drivers bluetooth stopped functioning and disappeared from Device Manager. I've tried 'showing hidden devices' and reinstalling drivers from intel's website, but...
  6. microphone playback broken

in Windows 10 Customization
    microphone playback broken: I recently purchased a blue yeti nano, and out of the box it worked fine. The issue I am now having is the playback where I can hear a preview of audio the mic is picking up no longer occurs. The most common solution is to turn off the "listen" setting from the recording tab...
  7. Bluetooth seems to be broken

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bluetooth seems to be broken: System Specs CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-I Gaming GPU: NVIDIA 2070 Super RAM: 32 GB 3200Mhz Hi all, I'm not sure what happened but in the process of getting my new computer up and running and installing drivers bluetooth stopped functioning...
  8. Internal Microphone Broken?

Internal Microphone Broken?: So whenever I try to record my voice on my webcam, or I am in a call with my friends on my laptop, my voice is very low and distorted, almost like there is a low filter on my voice. Why is this happening? I also get an error every time I open my computer that says, "Flow...
  9. Surface pro seems broken.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface pro seems broken.: My surface pro seems to be broken. Its acting like its starting with the surface logo on the screen then it goes back to black screen. Plus its dokng this on a continuous loop. What can i do to fix this?...
  10. Calculator seems to be broken.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Calculator seems to be broken.: This is annoying... [img] Does anyone know of a fix yet? 5246