Windows 10: Microphone sensitivity changing by itself

Discus and support Microphone sensitivity changing by itself in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I have problem with microphone sensitivity in Windows 10. I noticed, that it is changing by itself. I would like to lock it at 80, but it often... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by szerwony, Apr 20, 2020.

1. szerwony Win User

Microphone sensitivity changing by itself

Hi. I have problem with microphone sensitivity in Windows 10. I noticed, that it is changing by itself. I would like to lock it at 80, but it often increases. I already disabled "exclusive mode" in mic properties and also set "do nothing" in "communications" tab, but it's still chanigng. How can I prevent it?
    My microphone is Samson Go Mic.

:)

szerwony, Apr 20, 2020
  2. SolarHawk Win User

Windows Automatically Adjusts Microphone Sensitivity

This is the millionth time I've posted this thread because no one has bothered replying!
    Basically I have a Samson Meteorite USB microphone, and I use it for Skype and communicating in games. Ever since a few weeks ago, I noticed my sensitivity levels on Skype were going up and up as I spoke, and then not coming down, even though I had "Automatically adjust microphone settings" unchecked. When I look on recording devices on Windows, the sensitivity also adjusts on there. I have tried moving the slider back down on both programs only for it to go back up again. I have also adjusted the microphone sensitivity on Steam, but that changes accordingly too.

It is highly annoying considering it adjusts to stupid levels where my microphone picks up everything and my friends begin to hear echo too. I have been looking at posts about this for a couple of weeks now and a huge amount of people seem to have this problem, mostly to do with Skype, and they all say the same thing:
    1. Make sure "Auto-adjust" is unchecked in Skype settings.
    2. Make sure "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" is unchecked in Audio settings.

Basically I cannot find any other more advanced explanations or solutions, apart from some program someone wrote to readjust it automatically every second, which in my opinion is not a feasible solution. This annoys me so much because it should just be so simple and not cause any hassle, but also because I have literally no idea what could be causing it to automatically adjust itself. I had a thought that it could be other programs that have access to my microphone that are adjusting it but firstly I unchecked option 2 ^ and secondly I have no idea what other programs would use my microphone.

NOTE: Also just to add, I have a web-cam and its sensitivity adjusts itself too, so it's not my microphone.
    Any help would be much appreciated, and maybe there are other settings I have missed?

Many thanks in advance,
    Tom

Windows 10 (64 bit)

SolarHawk, Apr 20, 2020
  3. SolarHawk Win User
    Microphone sensitivity automatically adjusts on its own

So this is really starting to f**k me off...
    Basically I have a Samson Meteorite USB microphone, and I use it for Skype and communicating in games. Ever since a few weeks ago, I noticed my sensitivity levels on Skype were going up and up as I spoke, and then not coming down, even though I had "Automatically adjust microphone settings" unchecked. When I look on recording devices on Windows, the sensitivity also adjusts on there. I have tried moving the slider back down on both programs only for it to go back up again. I have also adjusted the microphone sensitivity on Steam, but that changes accordingly too.

It is highly annoying considering it adjusts to stupid levels where my microphone picks up everything and my friends begin to hear echo too. I have been looking at posts about this for a couple of weeks now and a huge amount of people seem to have this problem, mostly to do with Skype, and they all say the same thing:
    1. Make sure "Auto-adjust" is unchecked in Skype settings.
    2. Make sure "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" is unchecked in Audio settings.

Basically I cannot find any other more advanced explanations or solutions, apart from some program someone wrote to readjust it automatically every second, which in my opinion is not a feasible solution. This annoys me so much because it should just be so simple and not cause any hassle, but also because I have literally no idea what could be causing it to automatically adjust itself. I had a thought that it could be other programs that have access to my microphone that are adjusting it but firstly I unchecked option 2 ^ and secondly I have no idea what other programs would use my microphone.

NOTE: Also just to add, I have a web-cam and its sensitivity adjusts itself too, so it's not my microphone.
    Any help would be much appreciated, and maybe there are other settings I have missed?

Many thanks in advance,
    Tom

Windows 10 (64 bit)

SolarHawk, Apr 20, 2020
  4. Riel Alc Win User

Microphone issues

Hi Michael,

Here are the possible reasons why you're getting an error "The microphone did not pick anything up" when using it:

• Incorrect settings (microphone is not set as default device)
    • Corrupted or outdated driver
    • Faulty device

For us to isolate the issue, we'd like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made to your computer prior to this issue(e.g. Windows updates)?
    • Have you tried connecting other microphone to your computer?
    • Have you tried connecting the microphone to the other computer?

In the meantime, we suggest running the Recording Audio Troubleshooter to find and repair problems with recording sound. We also suggest checking if your microphone is set as your default recording device. For troubleshooting steps, please see
    Geethu B's on this
    link.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Apr 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Microphone sensitivity changing by itself - Similar Threads - Microphone sensitivity changing

2. Microphone Sensitivity to low, USB headset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone Sensitivity to low, USB headset: Is there a way to separate headset volume and microphone sensitivity?USB headset when turning down the listening volume on earpiece, the master volume goes down and the microphone sensitivity also goes down.When adjusting the microphone sensitivity up it turns the master...
  3. Mouse sensitivity changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse sensitivity changes: Hey so I was playing counter strike source and my sensitivity was not to my liking and was not comfortable for me.But when I plugged the laptop for charging , the sensitivity felt comfortable.And also without plugging the chargerThe game runs at 60 fps with the uncomfortable...
  4. Mouse sensitivity changes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse sensitivity changes: Hey so I was playing counter strike source and my sensitivity was not to my liking and was not comfortable for me.But when I plugged the laptop for charging , the sensitivity felt comfortable.And also without plugging the chargerThe game runs at 60 fps with the uncomfortable...
  5. Why can't I change sensitivity on my microphone?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why can't I change sensitivity on my microphone?: I bought a new USB headset for my computer HyperX cloud 2 and the earphones work great, but I was told my microphone was very quiet and the computer itself can barley pick up me talking when testing it through the control panel. I tried to adjust the the sensitivity of the...
  6. Volume of microphone changes by itself

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Volume of microphone changes by itself: Hi! I have a Blue Snowball. It works fine. The problem I have is that the volume of the microphone goes down to 2 sometimes and it's really bothering. Also, sometimes it gets up to 100. I have a almost fresh install of Windows. Reinstalled 2-3 days ago. I've checked most...
  7. My microphone level keeps changing itself

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My microphone level keeps changing itself: So I have a USB microphone it's Fifine K669B (I have a pretty tight budget). I have to set the microphone level on 80 so it's not overly sensitive. but often times, the level changed itself sometimes by 2, sometimes to 100. I have disabled the exclusive mode and selected "do...
  8. Microphone audio automatically changing itself

Microphone audio automatically changing itself: I noticed my microphone level was real low so I went to adjust the level, but then it kep on changing itself to a lower microphone level around 30 20 or lower, I'm unsure what I should do....
  9. my microphone is too sensitive

my microphone is too sensitive: every time i talk to my friends they dont hear me because i talk quietly but they hear the noise of the microphone or air or whatever i wanted to change it too be quieter but every time i do that my friends cant hear me anymore...
  10. Windows Automatically Adjusts Microphone Sensitivity

Windows Automatically Adjusts Microphone Sensitivity: This is the millionth time I've posted this thread because no one has bothered replying! Basically I have a Samson Meteorite USB microphone, and I use it for Skype and communicating in games. Ever since a few weeks ago, I noticed my sensitivity levels on Skype were going up...