Windows 10: Microphone/Sound not working, causing apps to crash

Discus and support Microphone/Sound not working, causing apps to crash in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Recently I've had an issue with Windows that has been making it so that on certain apps my microphone is not found and doesn't work, the apps being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GeorgeMarr1, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Microphone/Sound not working, causing apps to crash

Recently I've had an issue with Windows that has been making it so that on certain apps my microphone is not found and doesn't work, the apps being Teamspeak and discord. When I restart the apps to try and fix them they always crash on startup meaning the only way that I can fix the issue is to restart the entire computer.

My mic is a Blue snowball with a Logitech G430 headset (mic not used), as far as I know, the only sound drivers that I use are Realtek and nothing else, windows version is the latest one (May 2019 update). I've had this issue for a couple of months now across multiple versions of Windows. I've managed to test the devices by testing them on a Linux and Mac machines to ensure it's not hardware related.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

:)

GeorgeMarr1, Jul 1, 2019
  2. Junaid_A Win User

External microphone does not work

Hi Zarbab,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue could be because of the microphone being in a disabled state. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open Control Panel and categorize to view by
      Small Icons.
    • Click on Speech Recognition and navigate to
      Advanced Speech Options > Microphone > Advanced
    • Check Real Conexant HD Audio, save the changes and exit
      Control Panel.
    • Restart the machine to see if the microphone works.

Meanwhile, you may also want to go through the troubleshooting suggestions given in the following articles and see if they help:

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jul 1, 2019
  3. Skype "can't access sound card" for microphone

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the microphone on Skype. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

We appreciate your time spent in resolving the issue.

• Do let us know if you have made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Which version of Skype have you installed on your computer?

As a workaround, I suggest you to check if there are any updates for the Skype app in Windows Store. If so, try to install the updates and check if it helps.

Also, I recommend you to check with the settings in Skype app.

Step 1: Check configuration in Skype

Normally, you will receive the message about recording device error, if the microphone or the webcam is not configured properly in Skype.

To check configuration:

• Open Skype and navigate to tools
    • Click options and check for sound device.

Step 2: Verify in the recording tab if the Microphone is enabled and working.

To check:

• Click Start, click Control Panel
    • Click Soundand click Audio.

Hope it helps. Update us the status with the error message on Skype for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 1, 2019
  4. peach1971 Win User

Microphone/Sound not working, causing apps to crash

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Jul 1, 2019
Thema:

Microphone/Sound not working, causing apps to crash

1. Microphone/Sound not working, causing apps to crash - Similar Threads - Microphone Sound working

2. microphone causes audio to break and system to crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    microphone causes audio to break and system to crash: any time the microhpone is active it will eventually break the audio on my laptop and shortly after it will crash. this only happens when its using the external microphone, if i dont use the external microphone its fine. my current temporary solution is just to disable my...
  3. microphone causes audio to break and system to crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microphone causes audio to break and system to crash: any time the microhpone is active it will eventually break the audio on my laptop and shortly after it will crash. this only happens when its using the external microphone, if i dont use the external microphone its fine. my current temporary solution is just to disable my...
  4. microphone causes audio to break and system to crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microphone is not working in apps.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone is not working in apps.: I noticed that my microphone is not recording any sound in apps though mic access permission is on for those apps. I tested the mic in setting and it's fine. Mic only working in chrome. I reset sound and audio driver to fix the problem but it didn't solve . What can i do it...
  6. Microphone is not working in apps.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone is not working in apps.: I noticed that my microphone is not recording any sound in apps though mic access permission is on for those apps. I tested the mic in setting and it's fine. Mic only working in chrome. I reset sound and audio driver to fix the problem but it didn't solve . What can i do it...
  7. Sound and Microphone not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound and Microphone not working: So a while ago my ThinkPad E480 laptop stopped giving output to my speakers and the audio jack, and it was annoying but I usually use my Bluetooth headset so I was fine. Then my headset died and it didn't work tried a few things, nothing, restarted my computer the sound...
  8. Sounds muted and apps with sound crashing

Sounds muted and apps with sound crashing: Hello, I have almost new Lenovo ThinkPad T490 Type 20N2, with all updates and drivers up to date. All of a sudden the laptop stopped making any sounds, system startup sound is not working, anything else as well. This is happening even with plugged in headphones to 3,5 mm...
  9. Sound is distorting and microphone is not working

Sound is distorting and microphone is not working: So I had this issue 2 hours ago, I was playing a game but I can't hear any sounds, so I did everything that normally would fix my issue reconnect my headphones, restarting my computer but it didn't work now, I tried reinstalling my sound driver, but it didn't work, when I try...
  10. Microphone working but not in apps??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone working but not in apps??: So my microphone isn't working in apps but is working on the pc (can see the grey bar going up and down in settings). The driver is up to date and the access is allowed in the apps. The device in the apps is set to the correct microphone and the settings for mic is 100%. I...