Windows 10: Microphone still unable to pick up sound from Dragon Speech

Discus and support Microphone still unable to pick up sound from Dragon Speech in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I went into PC World today, where I'd bought a Lenovo G50 laptop a month or so ago, and a week ago Dragon V. 13 as it still wasn't picking up any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Arcadian, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Arcadian Win User

Microphone still unable to pick up sound from Dragon Speech

I went into PC World today, where I'd bought a Lenovo G50 laptop a month or so ago, and a week ago Dragon V. 13 as it still wasn't picking up any dictation at all. They downloaded the latest driver from Conexant but still no luck the guy saying that unfortunately the laptop simply wasn't up to it and fair enough refunded me the cost of Dragon.

Not a techie at all so excuse the possibly silly question but is there a way to install a mike that would work or some sort of work around that might do the trick instead....?

Thanks *Smile

:)

Arcadian, Apr 24, 2016

2. Can I change Cortana's Current Microphone Setting?

Hello All,

I've found where you can change the microphone used by Microsoft's Speech Recognition. It changes the mic used by Microsoft's built-in pre-Cortana Text-To-Speech control app. I don't have Dragon software or similar to check if those follow along with the
    change or still pick default.

Unfortunately, Cortana doesn't follow along with that change. I've been searching the Registry and her XML looking for where she picks the mic but can't find it.

So changing the TTS microphone isn't helpful for the OP but maybe someone else might find the below procedure for changing the TTS mic useful

===========

In the bottom left input box type "Control Panel" and bring up your control panel. It needs to be the old-school control panel.

Select the bottom left "Ease of Access".

Then DO NOT click "Set up a microphone". Instead click on "Speech Recognition"
    -- That will bring up a "Configure your Speech Recognition Window"

Over on the left will be "Advanced speech options". Click that.

-- That will bring up "Speech Properties"

At the bottom of the "Speech Properties" tab select "Advanced"

-- That will bring up "Audio Input Settings"

Select "Use this audio input device" and pick the microphone you want.

-- Again this will be used by Microsoft's older TTS voice command system but NOT Cortana Microphone still unable to pick up sound from Dragon Speech :(

The default device for calls and audio capture won't be changed.

====

Cheers

Mister Brooke, Apr 24, 2016
  3. WSRMarkoe Win User
    WINDOWS 10 SPEECH RECOGNITION CURSOR KEEPS JUMPING UP 2----10 LINES FOR NO REASON

The jumping curse and is often caused by a microphone that is either too sensitive, picking up background noise, or the microphone element at the end of the bone of a headset is positioned incorrectly.

First thing you should do is run the microphone setup from control panel, speech recognition. If you are using a microphone built into the computer or a web cam these often will pick up background noise and the environment. For best accuracy a USB headset
    will work to optimally for WSR, Windows Speech Recognition. If you are using a USB headset microphone, make sure the microphone element at the end of the boom is at the corner of your mouth not in front. This is because if it is in front of the mouth it will
    pick up inhales and exhales as sounds to be interpreted as words or commands. Finally, if you're using a USB or a microphone that connects to the sound card, try a different input port.

Marty Markoe, MyMSSpeech.com

WSRMarkoe, Apr 24, 2016
  4. Microphone still unable to pick up sound from Dragon Speech

Have you a Maplins near you
    If so go into them and buy a headset with Microphone attatched
    You need one with a USB end on it
    Then just plug it in
    That is how I have mine to be able to chat on Skype and Cortana

hTconeM9user, Apr 25, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Dragon NaturallySpeaking | Nuance

Under "getting started" there are guides for microphones/headsets that are designed to work with Dragon software products, and guides for installation and configuration.

Unlikely to get anywhere with built-in laptop microphones or cheap headsets.

Fafhrd, Apr 25, 2016
  6. I Brought one which cost £20-£25 and that one made by Logitic does the job ok

7. davidhk Win User
    The best source of solutions will be from Dragon Speech own support forums where everyone is using it and must have encountered various problems and solutions.

Try asking the folks there.................
    http://nuance-community.custhelp.com...c29547/summary

davidhk, Apr 25, 2016
  8. Arcadian Win User

Thanks. Dragon had supplied a headset and mike originally but that hadn't worked either, something to do with there being only a single jack on the right hand side front of the laptop, so a USB sounds a possible alternative. Will check out Maplins tomorrow with the laptop aiming for a stand mike rather than a headset which I find a bit distracting...

Tried Nuance thanks but now feel it's probably safest to test things out on the laptop first before buying.... *Wink

Arcadian, Apr 25, 2016
  9. Arcadian Win User
    As an interesting follow on from all this....

I also used to speak Swedish years ago living there for 2/3 years, but unfortunately nowadays it's very rusty so I've been trying to catch up by watching a lot of Swedish TV on YouTube etc. However it's difficult finding anything with Swedish sub titles (i.e. for the deaf) - only English ones.

So focusing on the Swedish deaf angle as well as my own needs above, I would have then thought that as the the mike should be able to hear spoken Swedish in a film, which in places is also too fast for me to understand, it would simultaneously appear in a half browser window next to the film's half window as text in Word. This would then apply obviously to any language so a potential big world market could be on the cards for the deaf and hard of hearing as well.

Be interested to hear any thoughts as I'd like to test it anyway for myself, besides the ordinary English dictation....

Arcadian, Apr 25, 2016
  10. Let us know how you get on
    Yes I had the same problem as I have to wear headset as I am slightly deaf and one with a mike attatched which folds back I found is easier for me.
    If it that way I only have to whisper for Cortana to help me and when I speak on Skype.
    Anyway best of luck

11. davidhk Win User
    Arcadian,
    Have you tried asking in Dragon Speech Community forum ?

davidhk, Apr 25, 2016
  12. Arcadian Win User
    Absolutely fantastic thanks a bunch !

Took my laptop into Maplins this morning and spent half an hour with a very helpful assistant who recommended Pro Sound and within about five minutes after setting it all up it was virtually word perfect without any training at all and which I'm now using to type this !!!! Whereas with my old Windows 7 and Dragon 12.5 it would have taken about a couple of days or more pretty constant practice to even come within about 50% what's happening now. So it really paid off taking the laptop in as I wouldn't have had a clue what to do, and more than likely wasted still more money on something that still wasn't suitable. The funny thing is that the guy in PC World never mentioned anything about Maplin's either! *chuckle

My hearing's not too good either and why I'm interested in testing it out with a Swedish TV channel this evening.

In the above text there were about 4/5 mistakes in all which is pretty damned good so mighty pleased thank you again saving me hell of a lot of time and effort !

USB 2.0 HQ Podcast/Vocal Microphone A99JB - £29.99....

Arcadian, Apr 25, 2016
  13. Arcadian Win User

I did ask in some Dragon forum but they were mostly about contacting online products whereas I wanted to be able to test it out in person and decide then....

Thanks for the help though much appreciated ! *Smile

Arcadian, Apr 25, 2016
  14. Glad you got it sorted and yes where I live they are most helpful in Maplins
    Also PC World would not recommend a rival they were hoping you would spend more money with them
    So happy all round then *Thumbs *Thumbs

15. Arcadian Win User
    You bet thanks !

What do you think of the deaf aid idea ? I'm thinking of elderly people in homes etc. having the option to read something as they talk to each other rather than having to rely on low quality NHS deaf aids....

Arcadian, Apr 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Microphone still unable to pick up sound from Dragon Speech - Similar Threads - Microphone still unable

2. Microphone picking up headphones sounds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone picking up headphones sounds: My microphone keeps picking up audio from my headphones i tried everything, going to control panel then sound and those things and tried to downgrade the version of my drivers nothing works i sat here for like 2 hours trying to look up tutorials on youtube and nothing works....
  3. Microphone picking up headphones sounds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone picking up headphones sounds: My microphone keeps picking up audio from my headphones i tried everything, going to control panel then sound and those things and tried to downgrade the version of my drivers nothing works i sat here for like 2 hours trying to look up tutorials on youtube and nothing works....
  4. My microphone picks up no sound!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My microphone picks up no sound!: To top it off when I right click the volume in the taskbar there is no recording devices present. My microphone is part of a web-cam or a blue-tooth headphone with microphone, I have two recording devices....
  5. microphone picking up speaker's sound.

microphone picking up speaker's sound.: How do I stop my microphone from picking up my speaker's sounds? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-picking-up-speakers-sound/ff8e2c05-6af0-4b7f-80a4-bb32b73bb741
  6. Microphone not picking up speech, both with microphone array and earphones

Microphone not picking up speech, both with microphone array and earphones: Hi, I have a HP Envy, running on Windows 10, with an inbuilt Intel Smart Sound Technology mic array. My microphone cut out towards the end of a Zoom call, and now refuses to pick up input when I am talking. The microphone volume is set at 100%, and the troubleshooter...
  7. Microphone unable to pick up any sound on settings

Microphone unable to pick up any sound on settings: Hi, Today I was playing around with Audacity and enabled stereo mix for the first time in ages to record some audio from my XPS 13. After doing this, my microphone started playing up and people were unable to hear me on discord and facebook messenger calls. I had a look at...
  8. Microphone detected but not picking up sound

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone detected but not picking up sound: My microphone and stereo's stopped working after a bunch of driver updates on my earlier windows install. I figured that hey, since I need to fresh install anyway again, I won't bother digging deeper into what could've caused it and just plain simply reinstalled windows. Now...
  9. Microphone picking up sound from headphones.

Microphone picking up sound from headphones.: I have checked on discord and windows voice recorder. My microphone seems to be picking up sound from games and Youtube. I have tried with different headphones and used a different headphone splitter. So I've narrowed it down to problems with the software. I am using Realtek...
  10. Microphone picks up output sound

Microphone picks up output sound: For some reason, my headphone microphone keeps picking up the sound played through my computer. So, for example, when I'm watching a YouTube video while in a Discord call, everyone in the call will be able to hear the audio from the video. I've got no idea why this is...