Windows 10: Microphone stopped working after Windows update - tried everything

Discus and support Microphone stopped working after Windows update - tried everything in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, I've been having issues with my microphone stopping working properly after I had a Windows update issue. First, I did the update and it kind... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by La Esméralda, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Microphone stopped working after Windows update - tried everything

Hi all,

I've been having issues with my microphone stopping working properly after I had a Windows update issue. First, I did the update and it kind of broke my machine, I couldn't get it started, and the IT at my work reinstalled the previous Window version. After that, the microphone just hasn't worked and I really need it for a Zoom training I'm doing.

I've tried every fix under the sun in various fora/websites, including all the fixes prescribed by Microsoft. Nothing works, or if it does, it stops working after a few minutes and the mike just stops.

I've tried installing the Realtek drive, uninstalling it, reinstalling it twice; tried lots of different sound settings by enabling and disabling and enabling again; tried to fiddle with the device manager, restarting some sound devices; tried the troubleshooting; did the new Windows update; bought a new headset with a different microphone, etc. Currently, which is a new thing, instead of just not working at all, the microphone bar moves when I test it, but there is only a 'space' sound when I play it back. I have 'Stereo Mix RealtekR Audio' and 'Microphone RealtekR Audio', and neither work.

Besides buying a new laptop or just uninstalling Windows again, is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

Mariana

:)

La Esméralda, Apr 15, 2021

2. Microphone not working

The microphone on my laptop stopped working. I have done a lot of trouble shooting without success. Before I conclude that it is a hardware problem, can I ask if there is anything else I should do.

My System:
    • ASUS S500CA laptop
    • Windows 10 Home X64 version 1909
    • VIA HD Audio - (for speakers and microphone)

Here's what happened:
    • The microphone was working perfectly (on Skype).
    • The next day it didn't work on a Skype call

Here's is a brief summary of what I have done:
    • The only thing that changed between these two Skype calls were a couple of Windows updates
    • I tried to remove all the recent Windows updates - didn't fix it
    • One update (4577670) couldn't be uninstalled so I restored the system to a date prior to the successful SKYPE - didn't work
    • I ran the Win trouble shooter - it reported no problem
    • I tried to update the sound/microphone driver - reported that I had the best driver
    • Checked the driver version (Provider - Microsoft, Date - 2019-03-18, Version, 10.0.18362.1)
    • Checked driver details (Report- No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device)
    • Updated to the latest Win 10 version (20H2) - didn't help
    • The speakers are working correctly.
    • I tried all of the above with the internal microphone as well as an external microphone (I tested all microphone alternatives in the setup - headset, external other)
    Is there anything else that I should try before giving up?

dsscottage, Apr 15, 2021
  3. Aceman.au Win User
    Sennheiser GSP 350. Microphone stops working when I open any game

Wow, ok. I think I've fixed it by accident while fiddling around.

It appears to be the Realtek audio being the issue here. I don't use my onboard sound card as my headset is a USB headset only and my speakers are plugged into an ASUS sound card.

Step by step fix:
    • I went into recording devices
    • I enabled STEREO MIX (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    • Then I set that Stereo Mix as the DEFAULT DEVICE (At this point it took over both input and output devices without my permission )
    • Then set my Sennheiser headset as default recording and playback devices in their respective windows even though they both still said they were the default devices when they weren't
    Headset microphone is currently functioning while in game now. I'll update the thread if it goes again. Should I completely disable Realtek audio??? Or will windows just force it to work again?

Aceman.au, Apr 15, 2021
  4. Microphone stopped working after Windows update - tried everything

Microphone suddenly stopped working

My microphone is still not working. I even checked the BIOS as someone had suggested but there is no listing for the microphone in there.

JonStoffelsen, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

Microphone stopped working after Windows update - tried everything

1. Microphone stopped working after Windows update - tried everything - Similar Threads - Microphone stopped working

2. Bluetooth Handsfree Microphone Stopped Working After Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth Handsfree Microphone Stopped Working After Update: Hi,I have a Sennheiser TW2 paired with my desktop and laptop, both running Windows 11. After an update in late 2023, the microphone on my hands-free no longer works on my laptop. I have tried updating all the drivers, pairing the hands-free with my laptop again and resetting...
  3. Built in Microphone stopped working after update...twice.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Built in Microphone stopped working after update...twice.: I have an HP Envy laptop new in July 2021. The microphone stopped working randomly not long after buying it, and my issue also interfered with my external mics too.In the sounds settings it looks like it picks up sound, by plays nothing out out Recorder, Teams or Zoom.Did the...
  4. Microphone stopped working after Realtek update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone stopped working after Realtek update: Hi all, my Turtle Beach X12 microphone has stopped working after the latest Realtek update.My sound works perfectly but it claims that the microphone is not plugged in.Specs:i5-10500T16GB RAMUHD 630Any fixes?Thanks, kyro....
  5. Microphone stopped working after windows update

Microphone stopped working after windows update: After I updated windows and cleaned my PC, my mic suddenly stopped working. I uninstalled the windows update and the mic still isn't working I checked if I was using a different microphone but it was the correct one, I uninstalled Realtek and installed it again from the ASUS...
  6. Microphone stopped working after latest Windows update

Microphone stopped working after latest Windows update: I've been unable to join Teams and Zoom calls as my internal microphone stopped working after the April 13 Windows update. I've checked to ensure that my drivers are up to date and everything else is fine. Seems like others are having the same issue. I'm using a Lenovo...
  7. Microphone stopped working after Windows Update

Microphone stopped working after Windows Update: Hello. I'm currently having a trouble with my Microphone, which has been working fine before. I also noticed that after I update my Windows I see two audio drivers on drivers manager, which I assume is the cause of my microphone not working. I managed to get my microphone...
  8. H4n microphone stopped working after update.

H4n microphone stopped working after update.: Hi. I have a h4n microphone plugged in with usb cable that used to work fine until the most recent windows update. I can see the bars moving on the microphone itself so the hardware is not the issue. Windows recognizes the mic but it has no input at all, not even on the test...
  9. Microphone stopped working after update to Windows 10 1803

Microphone stopped working after update to Windows 10 1803: Hi, I'm currently using a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro PCI Sound Card. Before Windows update happened, I was able to use my microphone with applications like Skype and Discord. While I am still able to hear sound, my microphone does not seem to work unless I...
  10. Mic suddenly stopped working, tried everything...

Mic suddenly stopped working, tried everything...: Hey guys, So I put together a new PC running Windows 10 Pro around 3 months ago and everything was working perfect till 2 days ago when my mic suddenly stopped working. I use a Steelseries Siberia V2 headset and the headphones work fine, but the mic is not picking up any...