Windows 10: Microphone turns on and off randomly

Discus and support Microphone turns on and off randomly in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, Ever since I changed Windows versions (a while ago), my sound turns on and off randomly. When it does it is rapidly turning on and off -so much... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DayzeVonn, Dec 1, 2018.

1. DayzeVonn Win User

Microphone turns on and off randomly

Hi,

Ever since I changed Windows versions (a while ago), my sound turns on and off randomly. When it does it is rapidly turning on and off -so much so, that I can't use my mouse for 30seconds to a minute at a time. And, the turn on/off moments are quite frequent. (I'm on windows 10)

It seems to correlate with external sounds. That said, just trying to type this message feels impossible (no sounds).

I've tried disconnecting all bluetooth devices, turning sounds off and on, but nothing seems to work.

Help - please!

:)

DayzeVonn, Dec 1, 2018
  2. Rose Ter Win User

Camera and Microphone Privacy

Hi Moustafa,

This issue occurs due to permission issue, driver issue, license for an app is out of sync with the license installed on the computer or if the app is not updated. To give permission to Camera and Microphone app, you may follow
    these steps:

• Go to Settings.
    • Select Privacy.
    • Look for Camera, make sure that “Let apps use my camera” is turned On. You may choose the apps that can use your camera as well.
    • Go back to Privacy and select Microphone, make sure that “Let apps use my microphone” is turned On. You may choose the apps that can use your microphone as well.

If the issue persists, we would suggest that you check out this
    link
    . This will provide you troubleshooting steps regarding Camera and Microphone issues.

Feel free to contact us if you have further inquiries.

Rose Ter, Dec 1, 2018
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Dec 1, 2018
  4. LeonLaude Win User

Microphone & Speaking

Hi tlcadieux2,

There are a number of reasons why you are having challenges in using the Microphone while talking to Cortana.

Below are the different methods on how to get this resolved.

Method 1: Turn on the Microphone in Settings.

This is the most common reason why the Microphone is not working. You can turn on the Microphone by following these steps:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Privacy.
    • Click Microphone.
    • Under Let apps use my microphone, slide the toggle button to turn it on.

Method 2: Set up Microphone from the Control Panel.

Modifying the Sound Settings may help in resolving your concern. Follow the steps below:

• Type Sound in Cortana Search.
    • Choose the first search result.
    • Click the Recording tab.
    • If you can’t find the Microphone from the list, right-click on the list then select Show Disabled Devices, otherwise proceed to step 5.
    • Right-click the Microphone.
    • Select Enable.
    • Click Properties.
    • Choose the Levels tab.
    • Set the Microphone volume to a higher value.
    • Choose the Enhancements tab.
    • Tick the box beside the Disable all sound effects option.
    • Hit OK.

Method 3: Update the Microphone driver.

Here’s an article that would walk you through the steps on how to update drivers
    in Windows 10. It also includes steps in case you would have to uninstall and reinstall the Microphone driver.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Leon

LeonLaude, Dec 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Microphone turns on and off randomly - Similar Threads - Microphone turns off

2. My microphone randomly turning off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My microphone randomly turning off.: When I'm working with my computer on windows 10 there are moments when my microphone turning off randomly in levers tap in microphone properties. Also, when my mic turns off all sound disappear for a second....
  3. My microphone randomly turning off.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My microphone randomly turning off.: When I'm working with my computer on windows 10 there are moments when my microphone turning off randomly in levers tap in microphone properties. Also, when my mic turns off all sound disappear for a second....
  4. My microphone randomly turning off.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. display randomly turns off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    display randomly turns off: since i updated windows there have been randomly turning off after startup but the cpu seems to be running and audio also stops. sometimes it happens just for the first start then i restart the computer and it doesn't occur after for whole session. it happens only when i...
  6. Microphone turning on and off rapidly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone turning on and off rapidly: My Mic that I bought not too long ago just entirely glitches the sound systemI get high cpu usage from Windows Audio service and the microphone activates and deactivates rapidlyIt's a Maono au-pm421...
  7. Turning off at random times

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Turning off at random times: This happens sometimes when my laptop suddenly turns off showing a completely black screen. But, when i look at the power off button, it still lit up. This happens when i play games or write in documents. It turns off really early when i play games, but i takes longer a...
  8. how to turn on off the microphone

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to turn on off the microphone: How do I turn the microphone on and off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-on-off-the-microphone/cbe32352-4694-432e-af55-96a8d77c75b6
  9. turn off microphone

in Windows 10 Customization
    turn off microphone: My microphone is to sensitive. I'm getting feedback How do I stop this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/turn-off-microphone/e1c01c28-9c0a-4228-a77c-0ba2da514dae
  10. Monitor turns off randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor turns off randomly: My monitor turns off randomly. It comes back on after I restart the computer. Today it took 4 tries. Also, sometimes the screen randomly becomes magnified. Help?! Thank you in advance...