Windows 10: Microphone works but only for 1 split second after changing sound format

Discus and support Microphone works but only for 1 split second after changing sound format in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; works the same way with different microphones plugged into different jacks. in other words, my microphone never works except for the split second... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Niall_M, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Niall_M Win User

Microphone works but only for 1 split second after changing sound format

works the same way with different microphones plugged into different jacks.

in other words, my microphone never works except for the split second after i change the format "16bit, 48000Hz studio quality", etc

this is incredibly annoying as i am entirely unable to talk on any application with others or record my voice.

Windows 10 Education edition

all audio drivers fully installed

same probably regardless of headphone jack or audio input device

troubleshooted many solutions to this sort of problem.

Edit: **** without explanation it's working again. i changed what was plugged in 1 more time

Still, it has worked occasionally in the past so please suggest other solutions because it may break again.

:)

Niall_M, Jan 24, 2021
  2. xinaiz Win User

Windows 10 lowers microphone volume after 1 second of sound length

I tried to record some music with my laptop microphone and external microphones, but aside that these are different, the effect is the same (external ones work good on my stationary PC);

What I mean that it lowers input strength after 1 second. If I play single, stable sound that should not change in volume (organs), the input results in something like this:

Microphone works but only for 1 split second after changing sound format OjGL3.png

It always happens at the same time of sound length, about in a second.

I use OBS and windows built-in Voice Recorder. There are no programs that would change microphone strength, because it happens also in Microphone Listening mode. I disabled changing microphone volume in settings anyway. What could be cause of this? I'll provide any additional information.

xinaiz, Jan 24, 2021
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    External microphone does not work

Hi Zarbab,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue could be because of the microphone being in a disabled state. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open Control Panel and categorize to view by
      Small Icons.
    • Click on Speech Recognition and navigate to
      Advanced Speech Options > Microphone > Advanced
    • Check Real Conexant HD Audio, save the changes and exit
      Control Panel.
    • Restart the machine to see if the microphone works.

Meanwhile, you may also want to go through the troubleshooting suggestions given in the following articles and see if they help:

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jan 24, 2021
  4. Microphone works but only for 1 split second after changing sound format

Skype "can't access sound card" for microphone

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the microphone on Skype. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

We appreciate your time spent in resolving the issue.

• Do let us know if you have made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Which version of Skype have you installed on your computer?

As a workaround, I suggest you to check if there are any updates for the Skype app in Windows Store. If so, try to install the updates and check if it helps.

Also, I recommend you to check with the settings in Skype app.

Step 1: Check configuration in Skype

Normally, you will receive the message about recording device error, if the microphone or the webcam is not configured properly in Skype.

To check configuration:

• Open Skype and navigate to tools
    • Click options and check for sound device.

Step 2: Verify in the recording tab if the Microphone is enabled and working.

To check:

• Click Start, click Control Panel
    • Click Soundand click Audio.

Hope it helps. Update us the status with the error message on Skype for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 24, 2021
Thema:

Microphone works but only for 1 split second after changing sound format

1. Microphone works but only for 1 split second after changing sound format - Similar Threads - Microphone works split

2. Microphone only working for a split-second

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone only working for a split-second: Hello! At the end of last year I built a new PC. I have now realised that for some reason the mic is not working...The microphone is detected, but for whatever reason it does not work. When i start the test for audio recoding it works for a split-second in the beginning, but...
  3. Microphone only working for a split-second

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone only working for a split-second: Hello! At the end of last year I built a new PC. I have now realised that for some reason the mic is not working...The microphone is detected, but for whatever reason it does not work. When i start the test for audio recoding it works for a split-second in the beginning, but...
  4. Microphone only works when Sound settings is “on“

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone only works when Sound settings is “on“: I have recently got an issue that the microphone, on any headsets I have tried multiple only works when the application Sound settings is on see picture. The program can also not be minimised into the background since it pauses the program. I am trying to follow this...
  5. Microphone not working after disk format

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone not working after disk format: My girlfriend had to format her disk and install windows 10 again. After that her microphone stopped working. In control panel it shows that the mic is receiving her voice, but it doesnt do anything. Discord shows that she isnt speaking at all. I can ask for additional info...
  6. Microphone not working after disk format

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone not working after disk format: My girlfriend had to format her disk and install windows 10 again. After that her microphone stopped working. In control panel it shows that the mic is receiving her voice, but it doesnt do anything. Discord shows that she isnt speaking at all. I can ask for additional info...
  7. Microphone not working after disk format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Can't change the sound format of my microphone

Can't change the sound format of my microphone: I have a new blue yeti and my mobo is a x570 tuf gaming idk if that relevant. I cant change my mic format higher than 16 bit and I'd like to know how to raise this so I can use my mic to its full capacity....
  9. No sound after 1 second power outage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No sound after 1 second power outage: So I was just watching Youtube and then the power went out for 1 second. I don't think there was a storm outside at that time, so i don't know why that would happen. My computer restarted by itself and it showed a error. I don't remember it too well, but it was something like...
  10. Built-in Microphone not working (only residual sound)

Built-in Microphone not working (only residual sound): I'm not sure if this problem came when I updated to Windows 10, but my built-in microphone is not working anymore. When I test it there is some residual sound (as some friends also tell me when I do TeamSpeak with them without a headset through the 3.5mm jack). I'm using an...