Windows 10: Microphone works with Windows Sound Recorder but nothing else Steam, Teams, Discord etc

Discus and support Microphone works with Windows Sound Recorder but nothing else Steam, Teams, Discord etc in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My microphone works, windows can detect it, I see the meter go up and down when I talk - I can record audio in Sound Recorder to test it. My Headset... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MatchstickART, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Microphone works with Windows Sound Recorder but nothing else Steam, Teams, Discord etc

My microphone works, windows can detect it, I see the meter go up and down when I talk - I can record audio in Sound Recorder to test it.

My Headset is set to default device, and has latest drivers. Apps have Mic access in the Privacy settings.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and tried every suggestion I can find but nothing I google ever comes up with a solution to my scenario.

I can hear through the headset, but not use the microphone in any programs - except Sound Recorder/Windows.

Beyond frustrating.

:)

MatchstickART, Jan 16, 2021

2. Sound Recorder isn't Working!

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To guide you In right direction we want to know:

-Are you using voice recorder or any other app to do so?

I would suggest you to try these methods and check if that helps:

Method 1:

Please run Recording Run Troubleshooter.

You may try to run the in-built Windows Recording Audio troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X..
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on Windows Recording Audio to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to use the sound recorder and check if you are able to record the sound.

• In the Windows Start screen, type “sound recorder”, then select Sound Recorder from the search results.
    • Try recording your voice through your microphone, then play it back. To do so, simply tap or click Start Recording, speak to the microphone, and then save the file so you can play the recording.

This will helps us to find out if the issue is with any online messenger like Skype or Windows.

I also suggest you to install the latest driver for Mic from the manufacturer’s website.

I also request you to refer the following link:

Sound Recorder app for Windows: FAQ

Sound Recorder app for Windows: FAQ

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jan 16, 2021
  3. Paulo GM Win User
    Discord Microphone Use Prohibited for No Reason

See if you've missed some steps in setting up microphone for Discord with this article

https://windowsreport.com/discord-mic-not-worki...

Also, you may go to Settings > System > Sound > under Input, select the Microphone then Troubleshoot

Paulo GM, Jan 16, 2021
  4. Microphone works with Windows Sound Recorder but nothing else Steam, Teams, Discord etc

Microphone only works on Discord.

My microphone only works on discord.

Its at default in the recording settings.

Help

kristiandiez, Jan 16, 2021
Thema:

Microphone works with Windows Sound Recorder but nothing else Steam, Teams, Discord etc

1. Microphone works with Windows Sound Recorder but nothing else Steam, Teams, Discord etc - Similar Threads - Microphone works Sound

2. Microphone is working on steam calls and discord tests, but not in discord calls and in ts3.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone is working on steam calls and discord tests, but not in discord calls and in ts3.: Yesterday it was working fine, I suspend my computer and went to sleep. Today I enter a call on discord and my friend was not hearing me. He called me on steam and he was hearing me, so we tried on teamspeak 3, but it was just the same as discord. I've tried a number of...
  3. Microphone is working on steam calls and discord tests, but not in discord calls and in ts3.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone is working on steam calls and discord tests, but not in discord calls and in ts3.: Yesterday it was working fine, I suspend my computer and went to sleep. Today I enter a call on discord and my friend was not hearing me. He called me on steam and he was hearing me, so we tried on teamspeak 3, but it was just the same as discord. I've tried a number of...
  4. Microphone is working on steam calls and discord tests, but not in discord calls and in ts3.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microphone only works with Voice Recorder; Nowhere else.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone only works with Voice Recorder; Nowhere else.: Hello, I'm using an Asus laptop, and I'm pretty sure I fucked up something, because the mic isn't working - except the voice recorder, the Windows 10 app. I tried everything - updating drivers, enabling/re-enabling from devmgmt, but I know for a fact that the mic isn't a...
  6. microphone only works in skype but nothing else

microphone only works in skype but nothing else: Hi there, I am having a problem with windows recognizing my microphone. As the title suggests it can not be used for any application other than Skype have tried with Zoom, Camtasia, Audacity, and Discord. I am using an AT202 mic and a Behringer interface. They both appear...
  7. Discord, Steam, Games, etc. Unable to use microphone

in Windows 10 Customization
    Discord, Steam, Games, etc. Unable to use microphone: Basically I have my mic set up properly but I am not able to access it on any desktop apps outside of Microsoft owned ones. Please help, as this only affects my current computer and not others with the same exact settings....
  8. Discord, Steam, Games, etc. Unable to use microphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Discord, Steam, Games, etc. Unable to use microphone: I have gone through all of the regular steps and have my microphone set up on my new laptop and have turned on access to apps. However, after going through all of this microsoft has blocked microphone access to discord or any other games. The link that I have been given is...
  9. Mic works with Skype and Sound Recording, but not anywhere else

Mic works with Skype and Sound Recording, but not anywhere else: Hi everyone, I'm facing a rather annoying and intriguing issue with my microphone. I'm currently running the latest Win10 build 2004, and I just can't get my mic to work with Google Meet, Xbox Game Bar, or even under Mic Settings! In fact, it only works when I use Skype...
  10. Downloading issues with steam and epic but nothing else

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Downloading issues with steam and epic but nothing else: Hi everyone! This may be long winded but here we go. A couple weeks ago after the recent windows update my computer has started having a problem while downloading updates using Steam and Epic games launcher. While using steam I noticed that downloads would start downloading...