Windows 10: Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional

Discus and support Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've tested microphones using onboard audio, soundcards from ASUS and CT, and a desktop microphone. The troubleshoot testing results in a tone being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DANIEL L NEWHOUSE, Aug 20, 2022.

1. Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional

I've tested microphones using onboard audio, soundcards from ASUS and CT, and a desktop microphone. The troubleshoot testing results in a tone being heard before the troubleshoot is unable to find what is wrong. The microphone audio causes the VU meter to to ignite, as if the microphone were functional, but my own voice cannot be heard in my speakers or a headset.

:)

DANIEL L NEWHOUSE, Aug 20, 2022
  2. Ivy Mun Win User

Speakers and headphones work at the same time

Hi.

Let us isolate your concern by answering these few questions.

• Have you tried connecting your headphones directly to your desktop?
    • Does your speaker work normally when connected to your desktop?
    You may try the following steps to help resolve your concern:

• Unplug or Disconnect your speaker from the desktop.
    • Connect your headphone directly to the desktop.
    If the headphone works properly when directly connected to the desktop, we suggest that you contact your speaker manufacturer for assistance.

Let us know how it goes.

Ivy Mun, Aug 20, 2022
  3. MisterEd Win User
    Computer Won't Use Headphone Mic

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

If you are using Bluetooth you will find there is a gotcha when using a headset with a microphone. With Bluetooth 4.x there is not enough bandwidth for both the headset's stereo speakers and the microphone at the same time. If the headset's speakers are used in mono mode then the microphone will work. Here is the information from my computer:
    I I left-click on speaker icon on taskbar tray I see my options for the speakers:

• Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) = Laptops built-in speakers
    • Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Stereo) = Headphones stereo mode
    • Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Hands-Free AG Audio) = Headphones mono mode
    I found out that if I select "Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Hands-Free AG Audio)" the headset microphone will work.

Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional [​IMG]

However, I found that next time the computer might choose "Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Stereo)". Then the headset speakers will work but the the headset microphone will not work.

To ensure that the right selection is always done automatically I have to go further and set the default to "Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Hands-Free AG Audio)".
    Note I can always override this at any time. To do this...
    I right-click on speaker icon on taskbar tray and left-click on Sounds

Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional [​IMG]

The first tab Playback is for the speakers

• Headset = Headphones mono mode
    • Headphones = Headphones stereo mode
    • Speakers = Laptops built-in speakers

The second tab Recording is for the microphone

• Headset = Headset's microphone
    • Microphone Array = Laptop's built-in microphone
    • Stereo Mix = N/A

To ensure that both the headset speakers and microphone work at the same time I set the default playback to Headset. This will put the headset in mono mode and allow the microphone to work. Note that if I disconnect the headset the computer will automatically revert back to using the built-in speakers and microphone.

MisterEd, Aug 20, 2022
  4. Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional

Hearing headphone microphone through headphone speakers

I have got some Sennheiser 4.40BT headphones. When I connect them to my laptop (Windows 10) through bluetooth, then enable the microphone, all sound that goes through the microphone gets relayed through the headphone speakers. It makes everything sound very echoey and I can hear the smallest of sounds really loudly (it's like I've got a super power). If I connect the headphones to my laptop through a cable I don't get this issue.

How can I stop the sound going through the microphone being relayed to the speakers?

Kevin Brydon, Aug 20, 2022
Thema:

Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional

1. Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional - Similar Threads - Microphones echo headphones

2. speaker echoing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    speaker echoing: On my laptop my sound keeps on echoing. Im working on a project and I notice that the sound is echoing, I tried to check if in the video in the browser Im facing the same issue it is echoing as well. How to make sound fix?...
  3. speaker echoing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    speaker echoing: On my laptop my sound keeps on echoing. Im working on a project and I notice that the sound is echoing, I tried to check if in the video in the browser Im facing the same issue it is echoing as well. How to make sound fix?...
  4. speaker echoing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional

Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional: I've tested microphones using onboard audio, soundcards from ASUS and CT, and a desktop microphone. The troubleshoot testing results in a tone being heard before the troubleshoot is unable to find what is wrong. The microphone audio causes the VU meter to to ignite, as if the...
  6. Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphones do not echo into headphones or speakers, may be partially functional: I've tested microphones using onboard audio, soundcards from ASUS and CT, and a desktop microphone. The troubleshoot testing results in a tone being heard before the troubleshoot is unable to find what is wrong. The microphone audio causes the VU meter to to ignite, as if the...
  7. Microphone creating echos in my speakers

Microphone creating echos in my speakers: I was having reports from people that my audio was very quiet and people couldn't hear me well. I could only sit directly in front of computer or no one could hear me. When i went to go check the audio/microphone/speaker settings, something happened...but now all i have is...
  8. Microphone Echo

Microphone Echo: For some reason my computer's mic records all the sounds I make such as my own voice, keyboard typing, and mouse clicking, and plays all of them out back through the computer's speaker. How do I make sure I can't hear my own voice while others can?...
  9. Microphone and speakers don't work but headphones do

Microphone and speakers don't work but headphones do: I'm using HP Spectre x360, Windows 10 Home ver 2004 build 19041.329. My built-in speakers and microphone are not working after system update, although there is sound when using headphones. Microphone works occasionally, but most of the time it doesn't. I tried reinstalling...
  10. Echo from speakers

in Cortana
    Echo from speakers: My laptop is echoing everything and every noise. The volume did not work earlier. I did a troubleshoot and I don't know how the settings got changed or malfunctioning. How can I correct it?...