Windows 10: Microphones for Speech to Text and Dictation.

Discus and support Microphones for Speech to Text and Dictation. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Microsoft recommends an array mic. Does anybody have any experience with these? Have a source? I do not want to use a headset and the array mic, or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mikeincousa, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Microphones for Speech to Text and Dictation.

Microsoft recommends an array mic. Does anybody have any experience with these? Have a source?

I do not want to use a headset and the array mic, or something like it, has a strong appeal.

After going through the first and second Windows voice training I attempted to dictate some text using my digital desk mic extremely close to my lips.

It did not work well in LibreOffice. It worked a little better, but not by much, in Notepad.

At this point I cannot sort out if the lack of dictation accuracy stems from a basic USB mic or the software.

Given this I am starting to look at other apps.

Any thoughta on the mic or apps will be greatly appreciated.

PS. I should have added that I do not want to use an on-line tool or any of the variations that run under Chrome (because of the ads).

Also, for any software that I purchase in the $100 or up class i want to be able to easily contact the provider by phone. I am not adverse to purchasing a good condenser boom mic if that is what it takes to make an app run accurately

:)

mikeincousa, Jul 26, 2020

2. Dictation not working.

Hello Lina,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please provide some additional information, so that we can assist you better.

1. Are you using dictation in Windows or Office application?
    2. Since when are you facing this issue?
    3. Did you make any changes to the computer before this issue started?

I suggest you to follow the below mentioned steps:

Step 1: To dictate text:

1. Open Speech Recognition by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking Windows Speech Recognition.

2. Say "start listening" or click the Microphone button to start the listening mode.

3. Open the program you want to use or select the text box you want to dictate text into.

4. Say the text that you want dictate.

Step 2: You may refer Microsoft article related to Dictating text:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4042244/windows-10-use-dictation

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14198/windows-7-dictate-text-using-speech-recognition

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking "Yes or No.

Harish

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Harish_kum, Jul 26, 2020
  3. Douggins Win User
    Speech to Text

Hello,
    Thank you for guiding me in the right direction.

I attempted all of the 6 steps recommended above. Only issue was that for step 4, I could not access/did not have access to the "hardware and devices troubleshooter" for whatever reason. Even after a reset of the Surface, I am still unable to set-up the
    speech recognition with the onboard microphone. The sound/audio works just fine for everything else though.

I have purchased an external microphone for use on other apps and this microphone will suffice for what I intended to accomplish. It has been set up for speech recognition and is working properly. I do have one related question that I have not researched
    in depth: How do I use the speech recognition to perform speech-to-text, into a program such as Word or Scrivener? The best response I found was that I can use it to complete a sentence or two, but not continual speech-to-text similar to Dragon Dictate or
    text messaging on some phones, etc. Can it be set up to perform this continual typing while speaking?

Thanks again,

Doug

Douggins, Jul 26, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Microphones for Speech to Text and Dictation.

microphone icon does not appear in word document

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to use Speech to Text option in Word document on your computer. I’ll help you with this.

However, please let us know:

• Are you able to use the Speech Recognition feature in any other application such as notepad or WordPad?
    • Are you using an external microphone or an internal microphone? If you are using an external microphone, what is make and model of the microphone?

• What is the make and model of the computer?

If you are unable to use the Speech Recognition feature in any other application, I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned in the section
    Help your PC recognize your voice in the article
    Use voice recognition in Windows 10
    to configure Speech Recognition.

You may also want to refer the steps in the article
    How to set up and test microphones in Windows 10

To use Speech Recognition in Word, refer the steps mentioned in the article

Dictate text using Speech Recognition

If you are facing issues only in Word, I would suggest you to get in touch with the

Office support team
    and I am sure they will help you with this issue.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

Microphones for Speech to Text and Dictation.

1. Microphones for Speech to Text and Dictation. - Similar Threads - Microphones Speech Text

2. Speech to text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speech to text: Hello!In the past when i press the windows button and the letter h, speech to text will normally work. Now it is no longer working.Can you assist? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speech-to-text/5c51e32e-5082-43dc-8a32-5ce5835cf0b9
  3. Speech dictation does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speech dictation does not work: Hi, I encountered a problem with dictation.I have been using this dictation for a long time, but these days it does not work with the prompt "You'll need the Internet for this." But the Internet connection is good and I also opened this function. Another information is that I...
  4. Speech dictation does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Speech dictation does not work: Hi, I encountered a problem with dictation.I have been using this dictation for a long time, but these days it does not work with the prompt "You'll need the Internet for this." But the Internet connection is good and I also opened this function. Another information is that I...
  5. Speech to Text

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Speech to Text: In an online lecture and wanna take notes without having to type. I know with macs you can double tap the FN key to activate a speech to text thing that will take whatever a prof is saying and write it down in a word doc. How tf do I do this on windows? submitted by...
  6. text to speech

in Windows 10 Customization
    text to speech: I am trying to locate other united states female voices to add but can't locate them. Please help!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/text-to-speech/99702a97-6694-4e10-a2b4-614a713ce8db
  7. Microphones for Speech to Text and Dictation.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphones for Speech to Text and Dictation.: Microsoft recommends an array mic. Does anybody have any experience with these? Have a source? I do not want to use a headset and the array mic, or something like it, has a strong appeal. After going through the first and second Windows voice training I attempted to...
  8. Windows Speech Recognition/Dictation

in Cortana
    Windows Speech Recognition/Dictation: When using speech recognition/dictation, it turns off stops listening, every time I start a new line or new paragraph. In other words, when your trying to dictate a document, it stops listening shuts off every time you start a new line or new paragraph. Then, you have to...
  9. Using Logitech headset with microphone to dictate speech to text.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using Logitech headset with microphone to dictate speech to text.: First of all, I have never used Cortana, nor has it ever engaged with me. I recently tried reviving my Logitech headset with microphone to dictate speech to text. I do not find the model # of the headset. The first time I plugged the USB into my computer tower, I was able to...
  10. Text to Speech

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Text to Speech: Text to Speech identifies the acronyms incorrectly: Example: NM is spoken 'nanometer'. Reading Aviation material the NM is 'nautical mile' and VOR is not 'voor', it is V.O.R. There are more. I would like to modify TEXT to SPEECH speech file or dictionary relative to what...