Windows 10: Microphones not working with programs?

Discus and support Microphones not working with programs? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hardware works, but doesn't work with software. My internal microphone and now external Bluetooth microphone is not working with any of my programs,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sieglk20, May 13, 2020.

1. Sieglk20 Win User

Microphones not working with programs?

Hardware works, but doesn't work with software.

My internal microphone and now external Bluetooth microphone is not working with any of my programs, most notably the facebook messenger app, and even the Microsoft voice recorder app. Yes, my stereo/audio output was on to the highest.

- The settings say that my microphone is working. It registers that there is sound coming in.

- I checked drivers and I have the most up to date drivers.

-my apps are up to date.

- I tried to use it with an audio editing program I have and the playback was a minute fraction of what was spoken, and the visual of the audio waves was tiny compared to what it should have been. The sensitivity on the microphone settings was at the highest, and it sounded like a tiny whisper.

-I tried recording audio message and doing live chat with apps and my recipients couldn't hear anything.

It's almost as if the microphone is not communicating properly with the programs themselve

Any clue what could be going on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

:)

Sieglk20, May 13, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, May 13, 2020
  3. microphone is not working

Hi Junezryaz,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10 and your steps in solving the issue.

I suggest you to run the microphone troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooter” in the search box and press Enter.
    • Click on ‘View All’ on the top left corner.
    • Click on “Recording Audio” from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Hope the information is helpful. Please revert back with the necessary information and we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 13, 2020
  4. Isha Soni Win User

microphone is not working

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum. I will certainly help you with this.

This issue could occur due to incompatible or corrupted device drivers. Let’s try to follow these methods below which can help us resolving this issue.

What is the make and model of your computer and microphone?

Method 1: Run audio troubleshooter.

You might be able to solve some problems by running a troubleshooter that will automatically fix some common issues with audio.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key on your keyboard
    • Type Troubleshooting and click
      Troubleshooting..
    • Click on view all (on the left)
    • Select Playing Audio
      troubleshooter
    • Follow the prompted steps to troubleshoot this issue.
    If the issue persist, follow method 2.

Method 2: Check for the microphone settings.

Step 1:
    I would suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"
    • Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".
    • Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".
    • Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".
    • Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.
    • Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.
    • Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

If the issue persists, follow method 3.

Method 3: Update the sound drivers.

Step 1: Check for the latest driver update through Windows Updates.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.
    • Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select
      Install optional updates from the left results.
    • When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Incompatible or not properly installed graphics card drivers are the most common cause of this issue.

Step 2: Follow the steps below to update the sound drivers.

• Press Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    • Go to device manager.
    • Right-click your audio/sound devices.
    • Click Update Driver Software and then follow the steps in the wizard that appears.
    Restart the computer and check.

Step 2: Check in
    compatibility mode.

Download the drivers from the manufacture's website for Windows 10, if not available.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on
    ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
    ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.

d. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

You may also refer: Make older
    programs compatible with this version of Windows
    (Steps applies to Windows 10)

You can get back to us if you have any difficulties in doing the same. We are always here to help you.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, May 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Microphones not working with programs? - Similar Threads - Microphones working programs

2. Microphones Working Intermittently - Multiple Microphones, Multiple Programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphones Working Intermittently - Multiple Microphones, Multiple Programs: Having a problem where any microphone we plug into the computer will sometimes not work during video calls. Most of the time it is at the beginning of the video call, but sometimes it is randomly during the call. This happens in Teams, Google Meet, and Zoom. This happens with...
  3. Microphones Working Intermittently - Multiple Microphones, Multiple Programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphones Working Intermittently - Multiple Microphones, Multiple Programs: Having a problem where any microphone we plug into the computer will sometimes not work during video calls. Most of the time it is at the beginning of the video call, but sometimes it is randomly during the call. This happens in Teams, Google Meet, and Zoom. This happens with...
  4. Microphone detected, but not working in programs.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone detected, but not working in programs.: I'm trying to use my microphone in programs such as Audacity and Discord, but it's not working. It detects voice activity in the settings, though. I've tried different mics, nothing. I've restarted and shut down my laptop 3 times, nada. Microphone access IS turned on in the...
  5. Microphone detected, but not working in programs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone detected, but not working in programs.: I'm trying to use my microphone in programs such as Audacity and Discord, but it's not working. It detects voice activity in the settings, though. I've tried different mics, nothing. I've restarted and shut down my laptop 3 times, nada. Microphone access IS turned on in the...
  6. Microphone detected, but not working in programs.

7. Microphone works in windows, but not in any programs.

Microphone works in windows, but not in any programs.: Hi there,I've had this issue for a couple days and haven't been able to find a solution. I have a Razer headset that has always worked. I recently upgraded my graphics card but everything else is the same. Since I upgraded the graphics card, none of my programs zoom, discord,...
  8. Microphone works in windows, but not in any programs.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microphone works in windows, but not in any programs.: Hi there,I've had this issue for a couple days and haven't been able to find a solution. I have a Razer headset that has always worked. I recently upgraded my graphics card but everything else is the same. Since I upgraded the graphics card, none of my programs zoom, discord,...
  9. Microphone works in windows, but not in any programs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Microphone detected, but not working in programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone detected, but not working in programs: When I try to use my microphone in Discord or Steam games, there is no input. Apparently, they detect the mic, but they don't pick up any sound. When I listen to the device though, I can hear my voice. submitted by /u/MinxV2 [link] [comments]...