Windows 10: MicroSD Card drive cant open and cant format

Discus and support MicroSD Card drive cant open and cant format in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey guys, I have ADATA MicroSD Card 64GB and it was working fine yesterday and I decided to format it. It does format good but I run quick format... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jk22, May 4, 2017.

1. jk22 Win User

MicroSD Card drive cant open and cant format

Hey guys,

I have ADATA MicroSD Card 64GB and it was working fine yesterday and I decided to format it. It does format good but I run quick format again and than its showing me the error below.

MicroSD Card drive cant open and cant format [​IMG]

Regards.

:)

jk22, May 4, 2017
  2. stam_spam Win User

microSD and microSDHC compatibility

i cant sort out the ambiguity with compatibility issues of microSD cards and microSDHC (high capacity) cards.

background:

the SD standard states that SD cards can be of upto 4GB (physical storage).

if the SD card is formatted as FAT16 then it can hold upto 2GB (usable storage).

the SDHC standard allows from 4GB to 32GB (physical storage) and if formatted as FAT32 it can have the same sizes of usable storage.

the SD is the older technology and the SDHC is newer.

SDHC cards are not backward compatible, so SD phone cant read a SDHC card.

question:

the specifications of several phones (N91 etc..) state that they support microSD of 8GB. and as i wrote above, there is no such thing as a 8GB microSD. a 8GB card is a microSDHC.

is this a common mistake in all the phone specs?

i recently purchased a 6267. in its specifications it supports a 4GB microSD.

does this mean ONLY microSD ? (and microSDHC wont work)

or is it the same mistake, and the 6267 phone supports microSDHC technology, of 4GB size?

if the 6267 supports microSDHC, are there any known drawbacks? (slowness, phone reboot..)

thanks

stam_spam, May 4, 2017
  3. Transcend MMC Plus 1 Go and nokia 6230

put the card in a card reader and see if your PC can see it, and then try to format it using your PC and then see if the phone can see it now... if the PC cant format it and cant open it as well, then it is probably a defective mem card

friedbrains, May 4, 2017
  4. jumanji Win User

Try formatting it with HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.2.3 http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...mat-Tool.shtml . (Right click on the HPUSBDisk.exe and run as administrator. Make sure you remove/plug out all other USB drives to prevent accidentally formatting the other drives.)

jumanji, May 4, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Try the following

1) eject and re-insert card.

Iif it's in an adapter ensure card is correctly in place and read only switch not enabled (usually a tiny little slider on the adapter --e.g the pny ones).

2) run cmd in admin mode

diskpart
    list disk

then you should see the micro sd card as a disk -- it will probably show as 59 GB for 64GB card or similar

continue with the command

select disk n where n is the disk nr

create partition primary
    format fs=ntfs quick
    active
    assign
    exit

Then it should be working again.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 5, 2017
  6. jk22 Win User
    Its saying this error:

jk22, May 5, 2017
  7. jk22 Win User
    Error:

jk22, May 5, 2017
  8. Grom0X Win User

Grom0X, May 6, 2017
  9. jk22 Win User
    jk22, May 6, 2017
  10. Grom0X Win User
    Do you tried this?
    Open a command prompt AS ADMIN
    type DISKPART press <enter>
    type LIST VOLUME press <enter>
    type SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the volume number you want to remove the write protect from.
    type ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
    you will see a prompt that the write protect has been removed
    type EXIT press <enter>

Grom0X, May 6, 2017
  11. jk22 Win User
    Done that also but cant foramt it.

12. Grom0X Win User
    Do you have access to another computer with windows 7?

Grom0X, May 6, 2017
  13. jk22 Win User

Yes I have a friend and I can go to his house.

14. Grom0X Win User
    Great, try this on that computer, because i am sure this working on Windows 7
    Open a command prompt AS ADMIN
    type DISKPART press <enter>
    type LIST VOLUME press <enter>
    type SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the volume number you want to remove the write protect from.
    type ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
    type CLEAN press <enter>
    type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY press <enter>
    type FORMAT FS=FAT32 press <enter>
    Good luck!

Grom0X, May 6, 2017
  15. jk22 Win User
    I will try and update it.

Thema:

1. MicroSD Card drive cant open and cant format - Similar Threads - MicroSD Card drive

2. Format microSD card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Format microSD card: I tried to format a SanDisk microSD 64 GB card using File explorer without success.The card name could not be changed.The card could not be formatted regardless quick or full.All folders and files could be deleted except some files in 2 folders. However, about two dozen files...
  3. Format microSD card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Format microSD card: I tried to format a SanDisk microSD 64 GB card using File explorer without success.The card name could not be changed.The card could not be formatted regardless quick or full.All folders and files could be deleted except some files in 2 folders. However, about two dozen files...
  4. how to format a MicroSD card?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to format a MicroSD card?: I bought a MicroSD card for my doorbell camera and the unit says the disc needs to be formatted. I knew how to do this 20 years ago, but not anymore :- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-a-microsd-card/eea89181-bc42-4033-9b5e-bf45de1d459b
  5. how to format a MicroSD card?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to format a MicroSD card?: I bought a MicroSD card for my doorbell camera and the unit says the disc needs to be formatted. I knew how to do this 20 years ago, but not anymore :- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-a-microsd-card/eea89181-bc42-4033-9b5e-bf45de1d459b
  6. how to format a MicroSD card?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. I cant download any games onto my microSD card

I cant download any games onto my microSD card: I ordered a microSD card for my laptop because it was low on space but every time I try to download any games onto it, it says that something is corrupt. I already made it so everything saves to the card on default but it didn't help....
  8. MicroSd Card - cannot format but can read

MicroSd Card - cannot format but can read: Strangest thing I have 128gb MicroSD card. Ive tried formatting in Windows 10, Disk Mgmt, Diskpart, AOMEI, EaseUS, SD Formatter, Android, old camera, Roku - no matter what I do it does not format It is currently exFat, I can still view the files. I have tried multiple...
  9. cant format external drive

cant format external drive: i have a segate goflex desk 1TB drive attached by USB3 to my router. I can see the drive in ThisPC but the format function is greyed out. i want to delete everything on there but there is a backup that takes up like 800 GB and it fails to delete it after 2-3 hours. any...
  10. Formatting MicroSD cards permanently problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting MicroSD cards permanently problem: I have problem formatting my Micro SD cards Using Windows 10 , every time I attempt to format it says the device is fully formatted , then when I use the card into the device , it says there are still files on your Card. I simply can Use the format bottom and will fully...