Windows 10: microSD write-protected on one laptop but not the other?

Discus and support microSD write-protected on one laptop but not the other? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; [Windows 10 Home x64, v2004] I tried to move some files from my laptop to my Samsung microSD, but Windows says it was write-protected. Checked the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cbiweb, Aug 31, 2020.

1. cbiweb Win User

microSD write-protected on one laptop but not the other?

[Windows 10 Home x64, v2004]

I tried to move some files from my laptop to my Samsung microSD, but Windows says it was write-protected. Checked the Lock switch but it was unlocked. Tried a registry tweak, and tried diskpart with the cmd line, but neither of those worked. There is no Group Policy Editor on Windows Home edition, so I can't try that. And I can't reformat the card because it's protected. I even tried putting the microSD into a different adapter, but no go.

However, when I put it in my other laptop [Windows 10 Home x64, v1903], it's perfectly fine. I can move files onto it no problem.

Any idea why one laptop would think it's protected and the other would not?

:)

cbiweb, Aug 31, 2020

2. Write protected MicroSD card

After upgrading my 640 XL to Mobile 10 10586.218 from the previous Build, my MicroSD card seemed to become locked and/or write protected.

I noticed this, when apps weren't updating properly in the Windows store after the OS upgrade, backed up the files on my card to my computer, and have tried to format numerous times in my phone, only for it to time out, essentially not do anything.

I removed the card, placed it in a USB MicroSD card reader (came with my Lexar 128GB Card), and have tried using diskpart to remove the write protection, even though it states its successful, but when I try to delete the partition on the card, or try to
    format it, it gives a read only error.

Also tried using MicroSD to SD converter, with the write protect switch off.

Any thing can be read from the card, but nothing will write, any suggestions on formatting or deleting the partition on the MicroSD card?

Tony05091979, Aug 31, 2020
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Aug 31, 2020
  4. microSD write-protected on one laptop but not the other?

freebird_9924, Aug 31, 2020
Thema:

microSD write-protected on one laptop but not the other?

1. microSD write-protected on one laptop but not the other? - Similar Threads - microSD write protected

2. Write Protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Write Protection: I have Windows 10 but I am using an older version of Excel. Maybe from Windows 7. But not sure.I only use USBs or flash drives to save files. Recently, my files take long to load. They use to come up almost immediately.That is one change I noticed.Now, I also can't copy one...
  3. write protection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    write protection: box pops up states media is write protected when try to down load a photo of a document how do i get rid of the write protection , also not showing these photos just a black screen,...
  4. Cannot write to microSD card

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot write to microSD card: I needed to spin up a new instance of Raspbian so I ran up balenaEtcher and tried to burn to a brand new Sandisk 16GB card using a Sandisk ImageMate PRO. The operation failed. Grabbed another (not new) microSD which I confirmed was working and tried again with that one....
  5. Write protect

in Windows 10 Support
    Write protect: Hello my PC turned off in the middle or installing windows 10 now I can't do anything because it is write protected can anyone help me 163480
  6. write protection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    write protection: how to resolve issue of write protection pen drive in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/write-protection/1ad233e0-c446-4e26-a0a7-dcfc87748525
  7. Write protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Write protection: whenever i open photos, i get a message "The media is write protected." What is the problem? How can this be overcome? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/write-protection/e69dc6ba-ea19-4b42-ac63-aa76fd1b01e1
  8. write protected

write protected: why have all my file suddenly become write protected and how do I reverse it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/write-protected/ebca984c-3f59-431d-9662-1c2a1481e13f
  9. write protected

write protected: I am using a D.A.W and I cant use it as when I try to open it up I get the message cant open as it is write protected. I also cant shut It down and have to use task manager. please help...
  10. Write protection

in Windows 10 Support
    Write protection: So i logged on my computer today only to find that all my folders and files have a blank paper attached to their icons, and windows has enabled write protection on all my folders so i cant save important settings. Any way to fix this? 128441