Windows 10: Microsoft 10 bug fix to stop switching UK keyboard to US.

Discus and support Microsoft 10 bug fix to stop switching UK keyboard to US. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This happens sporadically - usually when I'm doing something I find complex. Then I can't remember how to correct it. This has been a problem for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ingrani, Mar 22, 2022.

1. ingrani Win User

Microsoft 10 bug fix to stop switching UK keyboard to US.

This happens sporadically - usually when I'm doing something I find complex. Then I can't remember how to correct it. This has been a problem for several years. Are Microsoft ever going to fix the problem at source or don't they care?

:)

ingrani, Mar 22, 2022
  2. yoyoma2 Win User

On-Screen Keyboard bug changes foreground window

This On-Screen Keyboard bug changes the current foreground window.

Steps:

1. Open Edge and notepad and maximize them (never minimize them)
    2. Select notepad by clicking on it in taskbar (it's now on top)
    3. Open the On-Screen Keyboard (in Windows Ease of access)
    4. Type a few characters into notepad with the On-Screen Keyboard
    5. Minimize the On-Screen Keyboard
    6. Select Edge by clicking on it in taskbar (it's now on top)
    7. Restore the On-Screen Keyboard by clicking on it in taskbar and use it to type into Edge
    Result:

Notepad is now on top

Expected result:

Edge remains on top i.e. the On-Screen Keyboard maintains the current foreground window in which you intended to type.

History:

This superuser Q&A contains links to this bug being reported in windows 8, windows 7 and claims it goes back 17 years to Windows XP.

Workarounds:

Kill the On-Screen Keyboard every time instead of minimizing it. The bug occurs because the On-Screen Keyboard fails to keep track of the current foreground window while minimized.

Patch out the SetForegroundWindow call from the On-Screen Keyboard binary as described in the superuser link above.

Wait 17 more years for Microsoft to fix it.

Tell user to stop being disabled.

yoyoma2, Mar 22, 2022
  3. Microsoft needs to fix this: Windows 10 persistently changes the keyboard setting to "UK keyboard" (incorrect), and the fix only lasts till the next reboot

Mike

Many thanks for your suggestion. Although there is no "UK keyboard" listed under "Options" for my default language (Australian) [see my post], following your suggestion, I looked under the other two language packs (US and UK), and (weirdly enough), the
    US options include both US QWERTY and UK keyboard, while the UK language pack listed only the UK keyboard. I have deleted both of those UK keyboards, so hopefully, when I reboot tomorrow, the problem might be fixed. (To delete the latter UK keyboard, I had
    to first add a US QWERTY.)

I will report what happens.

By the way, what I've done so far removes one of the three options that comes with WINDOWS plus SPACE - it now looks like this: (note that WINDOWS plus SPACE alters the setting to the wrong setting, as per my warning before)

Microsoft 10 bug fix to stop switching UK keyboard to US. 81baa001-ed5c-4d69-b979-79a379b3fbfe.jpg

Nevertheless, under this UK English setting, typing # gives #, @ gives @, and " gives ", so it's very likely that you have found the solution for me.

How or why the UK keyboard setting got there, I have no idea. I have never owned a UK keyboard.

Thanks again

Ricky

XRickyHarris, Mar 22, 2022
  4. Microsoft 10 bug fix to stop switching UK keyboard to US.

Enabled UK keyboard layout not working

Hi Hugh,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

Try the below steps and check if you are able to change keyboard to a UK layout. Follow the below steps.

• Type Region on the search bar and click on
      Region and language.

• Click on Add language and click on
      English
      and select UK eng.

• Click on the UK English and click on
      Option.

• Now click on add keyboard and select the
      keyboard.
    Hope this information helps, post us with the status we will be glad to assist you.

Billion Debbarma, Mar 22, 2022
Thema:

Microsoft 10 bug fix to stop switching UK keyboard to US.

1. Microsoft 10 bug fix to stop switching UK keyboard to US. - Similar Threads - Microsoft bug fix

2. How to change US keyboard to UK keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change US keyboard to UK keyboard: I have been trying to change from US keyboard to UK keyboard for windows 10 without success. It has been changed in the settings but not effected on the keyboard. I need help please...
  3. How to change US keyboard to UK keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change US keyboard to UK keyboard: I have been trying to change from US keyboard to UK keyboard for windows 10 without success. It has been changed in the settings but not effected on the keyboard. I need help please...
  4. Microsoft 10 bug fix to stop switching UK keyboard to US.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft 10 bug fix to stop switching UK keyboard to US.: This happens sporadically - usually when I'm doing something I find complex. Then I can't remember how to correct it. This has been a problem for several years. Are Microsoft ever going to fix the problem at source or don't they care?...
  5. US vs UK keyboard settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    US vs UK keyboard settings: Hi, After latest Windows 10 update, Jelly Comb wireless UK English keyboard has keys using US setting. Windows settings show all language settings are English UK - no sign of any US language setting anywhere. Update driver shows that all is OK. Please can someone help...
  6. UK keyboard is still US keyboard?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UK keyboard is still US keyboard?: So I've tried to get the UK keyboard to work, I've tried changing the language options so that I only have the one UK keyboard layout, but it's STILL got the US keyboard layout. I can't find a way to fix this, please help submitted by /u/ultradurphy [link] [comments]...
  7. Keyboard has switched from UK to US Format

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard has switched from UK to US Format: My Keyboard seems to have switched from UK to US Format. However it is set to United Kingdom in all the settings. I am running Windows 10 and Office 365. The system has also had some recent updates from Microsoft....
  8. Windows 10 keyboard US UK

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 keyboard US UK: I have a Lenovo Idealpad 205 which I am using in the UK with Windows 10 op system. It has recently developed a problem with the keyboard settings and the @ symbol has now displaced the " symbol. Is this because it has defaulted to a US setting ? or something else. Does...
  9. US keyboard + UK English

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    US keyboard + UK English: Is it possible to setup Windows so that it recognises that I have an ANSI layout, but that spell checking and such is in British English? 29942
  10. US vs UK keyboard This is a bug in the firmware!

in Windows 10 Support
    US vs UK keyboard This is a bug in the firmware!: When I first setup win 10 I accidently set me keyboard to UK style. I should have selected US. Now, when I boot up, the " and the @ are reversed. I go into keyboard setup and change it to US. ease of access change how it works ........ change input settings English US...