Windows 10: Microsoft 365 ad blocks Windows 10 desktop access for some users

Discus and support Microsoft 365 ad blocks Windows 10 desktop access for some users in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Several Windows 10 users reported that a banner for Microsoft 365 has prevented them from reaching the Windows 10 desktop on boot. [ATTACH] According... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Feb 4, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft 365 ad blocks Windows 10 desktop access for some users

Several Windows 10 users reported that a banner for Microsoft 365 has prevented them from reaching the Windows 10 desktop on boot.

Microsoft 365 ad blocks Windows 10 desktop access for some users windows-ad-microsoft-365.png

According to the reports, Microsoft displayed a fullscreen Microsoft 365 advertisement on the screen before the start of the operating system. The screen, similar to the dreaded Windows Experience screens, is displayed fullscreen.

Tip: Windows 10 users who do not want to see any out-of-box experience screens on Windows startup may disable "get tips and suggestions when using Windows" under System > Notifications to skip all of them. Another option that Windows users have to avoid these offers is to use a local account instead of a Microsoft account when using the operating system.

It stated "Access granted: We're giving you a free trial of Microsoft 365 Family. Below the title were listed some of the benefits of the subscription. Other users saw a different title, stating that they could save 50% on the first year of a Microsoft 365 Family subscription.

Two button were displayed on the page: Next and No, Thanks. Activation of Next should have opened the account setup page to accept the offer, while no, thanks, should skip the offer and load the desktop of the operating system

It appears, however that Microsoft has erroneously switched the links of the buttons. In other words: users who did not want to accept the offer were taken to the sign-up page when they selected the "no, thanks" option. Users who wanted to accept the offer, on the other hand, were taken to the desktop.

First reported by Bleeping Computer, the issue seems to have affected more than just a few users. One user uploaded a video of the issue to Reddit, stating "Windows tried to pull a fast one on me by switching buttons". At least one user reported that they signed-up for Microsoft 365 to get to the desktop. The user cancelled the subscription immediately after reaching the desktop though.

Windows 10 users who, in their desperation, signed-up for a Microsoft 365 account should sign-in to their Microsoft Account to cancel the subscription before Microsoft is charging the credit card.

The experienced issue is certainly a bug. One has to wonder though how something as obvious as this can slip through the cracks at Microsoft.

Now You: do you use Microsoft 365?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft 365 ad blocks Windows 10 desktop access for some users appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Feb 4, 2023
  2. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft is developing a built-in ad blocker for its Edge browser

"One of the first browser add-ons many people install to improve their online experience is Adblock Plus or something similar. Until recently, Microsoft Edge's lack of support for add-ons put off a lot of would-be users, but reports from Build 2016 suggest that native ad blocking is on its way to the Internet Explorer successor.

Adblock Plus is coming to Edge, but built-in ad blocking would negate the need for such an add-on. A slide shown off and snapped at a Build presentation shows that the next version of Edge, in response to user feedback, will feature ad blocking capabilities. There's no word on delivery timescale, but the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update would seem a likely candidate.

ZDNet's Ed Bott photographed the slide which shows Microsoft's development roadmap built around feedback from testers. Right at the top of the list is reference to plans to create a plugin and extension store for Edge, but it's entry number four that's more intriguing.

"Build ad blocking features into the browser" is listed as a Feature Request from users. But the good news is that it is not only listed as being "Deliverable 4682811", but as "Targeted for the next version".

This will no doubt come as good news for those who have fallen in love with Edge, but it's not something that will be welcomed by the likes of Adblock Plus. It does seem that, particularly in the mobile arena, there is a move to baking ad blocking into the browser so it makes sense that Microsoft is following the trend. But it is the fact that Edge straddles Windows 10 on the desktop and Windows 10 Mobile that makes this a particularly interesting move.

Keep an eye out for Insider builds in the coming weeks as the feature may be just around the corner.
    "

Forget extensions, built-in ad blocking is coming to Microsoft Edge - [UPDATE... no it's not!]

P4-630, Feb 4, 2023
  3. Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

it would've been great if microsoft added HEVC decoders, LAV filters along with other codecs with Windows 10, and developing WMP to be better than VLC, KMPlayer and such sorts of media players.

Nevertheless, this is good step for microsoft, by far.

Analog_Interface, Feb 4, 2023
  4. Freezer Win User

Microsoft Reveals Windows 10 Variants

Windows 10 is far from production state. It's so ridiculous where they have moved essential components.

Also about time they pulled their head out of their *** ! A desktop version of Windows ought to be for a desktop! If a user wants touch screen added to a desktop pc then it ought to be a feature a user can add from within the Windows components! A tablet version of Windows out to be for a tablet! Windows 8/8.1 is a disgrace and also a memory hog compared to Windows 7, however, the UI is perhaps the best since Windows Classic with less inappropriate eye-candy to drag the system down.

Microsoft ought to provide users with a Classic Start Menu and the new Modern Start Menu. It's friggen ridiculous how much screen realestate the program-files and other icons take up... within the Modern Start Menu.

I certainly hope the production version of Windows 10 isn't laden with ads! Any type of Advertisement is Intrusive!

Freezer, Feb 4, 2023
Thema:

1. Microsoft 365 ad blocks Windows 10 desktop access for some users - Similar Threads - Microsoft 365 blocks

2. Dream it Build it ad blocking access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dream it Build it ad blocking access: I have tried to log onto Classic Jigsaw as I have a lot in the past few days. Now when I click on a puzzle an ad comes up but never leaves. I have tried hitting various parts of the ad but it will not disappear or go away. When I click on the back arrow, it goes back to the...
  3. Dream it Build it ad blocking access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dream it Build it ad blocking access: I have tried to log onto Classic Jigsaw as I have a lot in the past few days. Now when I click on a puzzle an ad comes up but never leaves. I have tried hitting various parts of the ad but it will not disappear or go away. When I click on the back arrow, it goes back to the...
  4. Microsoft 365 and Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft 365 and Access: I bought a new laptop and would like to install Microsoft Access. Microsoft 365 Personal does not include Access. How can k get it without upgrading to Microsoft Business....
  5. Microsoft 365 and Access

Microsoft 365 and Access: I bought a new laptop and would like to install Microsoft Access. Microsoft 365 Personal does not include Access. How can k get it without upgrading to Microsoft Business....
  6. Windows user account access blocked

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows user account access blocked: We changed the PIN for our user account as we do regularly. On this occasion however, when we tried to log on there is a message saying our password was changed on another PC and we need to log in to that PC to get access to our usual computer. Attempts to reset the password...
  7. Windows user account access blocked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows user account access blocked: We changed the PIN for our user account as we do regularly. On this occasion however, when we tried to log on there is a message saying our password was changed on another PC and we need to log in to that PC to get access to our usual computer. Attempts to reset the password...
  8. Windows user account access blocked

9. Ad Blocking (Windows desktop app and Edge)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Ad Blocking (Windows desktop app and Edge): My issue is actually two-fold, and very specific. I am using Windows 10 on a desktop PC. Ads on Hulu will not play through Edge or the desktop Hulu app. They do play in other browsers. I have no ad blocking software or extensions. Hulu believes Windows Defender is...
  10. Windows 10 Pro Block user access to settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Pro Block user access to settings: We are a small school with a number of laptops running Windows 10 Professional for Student use. Each of these Student Computers has an Admin User login and a Student User login. The Student User on each is a local account (i.e. not Administrator). Students borrow laptops...