Windows 10: Microsoft account = broken RDP and file sharing!

Discus and support Microsoft account = broken RDP and file sharing! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey everyone. First let me blow some steam by stating that Microsoft Account is a convoluted feature that is very poorly thought out and integrated.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by och, Aug 1, 2015.

1. OCH
    och Win User

Microsoft account = broken RDP and file sharing!

Hey everyone. First let me blow some steam by stating that Microsoft Account is a convoluted feature that is very poorly thought out and integrated. /end rant

That being said, here is my situation. I fresh installed Windows 10 on my laptop and desktop. On both computers I created a user for myself with the same name. However on the desktop I associated the name with Microsoft account, since the Desktop is always connected to the internet, but on the Laptop I left it as local account.

Set up file sharing and RDP on both. When trying to connect to the Laptop from the Desktop, it asks me for credentials, I type in the Username and password, and it tells me credentials did not work! Double checked everything ten times over, still nothing, credentials do not work.

So then I tried vice versa - connecting to the Desktop from the Laptop. Worked no problem. Not only that, but it actually let me log in by typing in either the Username or the email address for the Microsoft account.

So then I tried connecting to the Laptop from a Macbook - and sure enough, worked right away. Both RDP and SMB connections are working as intended.

So basically I only can't connect to the Laptop from my Desktop. I believe what happens is this - Windows is probably sending Microsoft account credentials instead of username in the background, since the username is the same on both Machines, but because on the laptop the user is not associated with Microsoft account, credentials fail.

:)

2. Duo Security Broken after Fall Security Update

Duo Security makes a 2FA application and service that support Microsoft RDP. After the Fall '17 update, login using there service is broken if the user uses a Live/Microsoft account.

Duo has stated they are working with Microsoft on the problem and referenced case number
    #117121217311532.

I am here asking what progress has been made on this issue?

Thank you.

PeterBerbec, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Microsoft Account and Authentication during RDP

Hello, trying to RDP to my windows 10 (fall creators update) via RDP but the RDP client always fails with invalid credential.

I have tried the combinations:

• Microsoft account primary alias and Microsoft account password
    • Local username associated with my Microsoft account and Microsoft account password
    Neither is accepted for sign in. I have Mobile sign in enabled on my account so I technically never entered my password here.

Lambros Vasiliou, Aug 1, 2015
  4. OCH
    och Win User

Did some googling, and apparently the problem has existed since Windows 8. There are a few solutions to this, some are less convoluted than other, and it's very pathetic that MS hasn't addressed it with Windows 10.

On a more positive note, wanted to give heads up to those of you who are not aware of this - when setting up a Microsoft email account to use with Windows 10, you don't actually have to use microsoft email address. You can use your current email address with whomever (gmail, yahoo, aol, or even your own hosting) and you will get a microsoft account that uses the email address you've provided to log in, and it will give you access to one drive, cortana, etc.

Thema:

1. Microsoft account = broken RDP and file sharing! - Similar Threads - Microsoft account broken

2. Windows 11 File Sharing BROKEN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Sharing BROKEN: Hi All,Really at my whits end with this one!I have a micro PC which is operating as my file & print server. This is a Windows 11 Pro machine. File & Print Sharing is really basic and is just using Windows built in tools.I have set within Network & Sharing CentreThe Network to...
  3. Windows 11 File Sharing BROKEN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Sharing BROKEN: Hi All,Really at my whits end with this one!I have a micro PC which is operating as my file & print server. This is a Windows 11 Pro machine. File & Print Sharing is really basic and is just using Windows built in tools.I have set within Network & Sharing CentreThe Network to...
  4. Is File Sharing Just Broken?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is File Sharing Just Broken?: I have never been able to get this feature working, going back to Windows 7 and on numerous different machines. Recently I built a new desktop and thought I'd give it another shot - trying to make files available to my laptop. Shockingly, it worked .... briefly. A couple of...
  5. Windows File share with microsoft accounts

Windows File share with microsoft accounts: Went to add a Raid shared folder for a family member to access and it seems that I cannot get access to this shared folder unless everyone is selected for access/permissions. For example I logged into two PC with my MS account. Created a shared folder via share with...
  6. Windows File share with microsoft accounts

Windows File share with microsoft accounts: Went to add a Raid shared folder for a family member to access and it seems that I cannot get access to this shared folder unless everyone is selected for access/permissions. For example I logged into two PC with my MS account. Created a shared folder via share with...
  7. Sharing Broken

Sharing Broken: OK, here's the details of my little home network: Desktop PC: Name - RAVEN OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (1803 17134.228) Network - Ethernet connection to WiFi router IP - Static 192.168.0.100 Laptop PC: Name - COYOTE OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit (1803 17134.228) Network -...
  8. Microsoft Account and Windows 10 RDP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Account and Windows 10 RDP: I have RPD working using my Microsoft account to a Windows 10 1803 PC. When changing my MS account password, RDP is only accepting the old MS account password, but everything else is accepting the new password (including local login on the PC). Any ideas?...
  9. RDP connection to computer with microsoft account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    RDP connection to computer with microsoft account: Hello, I am trying to setup RDP connection between two Windows 10 machines. The PC from which the connection is opened is using a local account while the PC that I'm trying to connect to is using a Microsoft account. Upon entering the string...
  10. Broken File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

Broken File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks: I have Windows 10 Pro 1703 Build 15063.483. About 2 weeks ago, after restarting my PC, I got 0x80070035 when accessed shared folder. It was fine the day before I restarted my PC. I tried most of things mentioned about 0x80070035, like checking advance sharing services, TCP/IP...