Windows 10: Microsoft Account Confused Mess

Discus and support Microsoft Account Confused Mess in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; When I attempt to download an app from the Microsoft Store it requires me to sign in with my Microsoft account. My account was originally set up with a... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by BrendaKitch, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Microsoft Account Confused Mess

When I attempt to download an app from the Microsoft Store it requires me to sign in with my Microsoft account. My account was originally set up with a bellsouth.net email in Outlook. I've fired AT&T who absorbed Bellsouth due to horrendous email service and I no longer use Outlook for email. I use gmail.com now. The Administrator account in Settings on my Windows 10 computer still shows a bellsouth.net email - one that I cannot get into, even in Outlook that happened long ago as AT&T played with Yahoo and made a real mess of everything email. I have a MS account with my current gmail address & password, however, when I try to download something from the store it pulls up one of the old bellsouth addresses and wants to verify that address. I would love to change the Administrator to my current email address and have my Microsoft account reflect only that address. Only the one PC, and it is an HP laptop - no other devices to deal with! Am I asking something beyond Microsoft's capability? Or do I everafter have to fight with multiple technical incompatibilities? I actually preferred Outlook, but AT&T made such a mess when they joined with Yahoo that I defected to gmail, where I have 2 accounts that work properly.

HP 15 TS Notebook PC, Windows 10 Home, version 1903, 64-bit

:)

BrendaKitch, Jul 24, 2020
  2. wiko1934 Win User

Microsoft Accounts confusion and Outlook confusion

A) Account confusion:

I had to re-install Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 for the third time as for various reasons my new PC had to be reset to factory settings twice. Having a MS account using my e-mail address (call it here) #1 at the 3rd install was not accepted. Trying #2
    was also rejected so I used #3.

• #3 now shows up on the Win10 opening screen. Trying to change it to just my name so far didn't work.
    • #2 shows up under C:\User\ (probably via another entry - as not quite correct thus my error) but it was rejected at that stage of setting up Windows and
    • #1 when signing in shows my purchased products and my personal information.
    Does that mean I have 3 accounts with MS? And why was my #1 account rejected in the first place when re-installing Windows. Also there is constantly an indication that I should install Microsoft 365, which is installed, This is probably related to this
    "3-accounts" confusion. How can I fix all this and have just ONE, preferable the one I sign in with?

B) Outlook confusion.

I found out the hard way that MS has two different "Outlook" products. One with Win10 and a more capable version with MS 365, the one I like to use. Yet installing Win10 I am forced to open an "Win10 Outlook" email account. Why can I not skip that? I can
    see the reason for registering but that shouldn't include an opening of a Win10 Outlook email account. Now I have to find out how to delete the one I was forced to open and how to switch to the other "Outlook" which comes with MS 365 so I can set up my existing
    e-mail accounts - Having the same name for two, albeit similar products only adds to the confusion. Last time a friendly MS employee took over my PC and fixed it. I have no idea what she did to do so nor have I found any guidance. There should be no need
    for a fix. Win10 customers should not be forced to open a "Win10 outlook" email account. I like and have used Outlook (from and Office (now Microsoft) product) since I started using e-mail but I like to use the one which is part of Microsoft 365. Previously
    used Office 2010, 2013 and 2016. Where can I find
    a step-by-step instruction how to fix this
    . (Unfortunately I am way up in the 80's and am no longer the neighborhood computer expert I once was called so I need help)

wiko1934, Jul 26, 2020
  3. Microsoft Account Confused Mess

When I attempt to download an app from the Microsoft Store it requires me to sign in with my Microsoft account. My account was originally set up with a bellsouth.net email in Outlook. I've fired AT&T (who absorbed Bellsouth) due to horrendous email service
    and I no longer use Outlook for email. I use gmail.com now. The Administrator account (in Settings) on my Windows 10 computer still shows a bellsouth.net email - one that I cannot get into, even in Outlook (that happened long ago as AT&T played with Yahoo
    and made a real mess of everything email). I have a MS account with my current gmail address & password, however, when I try to download something from the store it pulls up one of the old bellsouth addresses and wants to verify that address. I would love
    to change the Administrator to my current email address and have my Microsoft account reflect only that address. Only the one PC, and it is an HP laptop - no other devices to deal with! Am I asking something beyond Microsoft's capability? Or do I everafter
    have to fight with multiple technical incompatibilities? (I actually preferred Outlook, but AT&T made such a mess when they joined with Yahoo that I defected to gmail, where I have 2 accounts that work properly.)

HP 15 TS Notebook PC, Windows 10 Home, version 1903, 64-bit

BrendaKitch, Jul 26, 2020
  4. Vesao Win User

Microsoft Account Confused Mess

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft Account Confused Mess

1. Microsoft Account Confused Mess - Similar Threads - Microsoft Account Confused

2. Confusion on Local Account vs Microsoft Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Confusion on Local Account vs Microsoft Account: I have some serious confusion over what is a local account vs a Windows account while working on my wife's computer. I know my Hotmail account and Windows account share the same password and as far as we can determine, hers should too. However, that doesn't seem to be true...
  3. microsoft account confusion

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    microsoft account confusion: when i got my pc my brothers friend sighed they're microsoft account on it and i didnt know that is they're a way to not lose my data on my computer i'm confused someone please help...
  4. Account confusion

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Account confusion: So I tried buying Microsoft Windows 10 addition on the same account I have on my Xbox. The purchase went through however when I go to download it routes me to the Microsoft store which is logged in under a different account and says I have to but the game, which I already...
  5. In a Mess with Microsoft Accounts!

in Windows 10 Customization
    In a Mess with Microsoft Accounts!: - New computer - Knew I had an account with my company email that I didn't want to use on this unit. - At setup, used my mobile phone number as login because it said my personal email was already in use, NOT my company email - New computer now has my account with phone...
  6. Microsoft Account Mess

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Account Mess: Problem is best described by listing the sequence of events: 1. I go to link for a free download in Microsoft Store. 2. Click "Get" for the item, and am asked for my Microsoft Live ID and password, which I enter correctly. 3. Store now tells me I need to Setup Windows...
  7. Windows and Microsoft Account name confusion

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows and Microsoft Account name confusion: My computer has an account name that sometimes shows up as a way to log in to my computer. But I also have a Microsoft Account Name that I actually use to log in to my computer. I don't understand why. I can't delete the first one because it doesn't show up in my account...
  8. Microsoft Accounts confusion and Outlook confusion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Accounts confusion and Outlook confusion: A Account confusion: I had to re-install Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 for the third time as for various reasons my new PC had to be reset to factory settings twice. Having a MS account using my e-mail address call it here #1 at the 3rd install was not accepted. Trying #2...
  9. Windows Accounts create a VERY Confusing MESS

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Accounts create a VERY Confusing MESS: I have nothing much good to say about "Microsoft Accounts". Likely there are some good things but they are obscured by all the trouble the mess is causing. There are many stories that I could tell but, for today, I'll stick with the current issue: I am working on a...
  10. Microsoft Account Confusion

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Account Confusion: When I first setup my PC I used my MS account to login. The account name was an email address from cox.net. However shortly thereafter I changed to a local account. A few months ago I changed the account name to a Gmail address in anticipation of changing my internet provider...