Windows 10: Microsoft Account for Network Credentials gives Incorrect Password

Discus and support Microsoft Account for Network Credentials gives Incorrect Password in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a desktop and a laptop with Windows 10, both with the latest updates. Neither of them have a local account; both are linked to my microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Elys_k, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Elys_k Win User

Microsoft Account for Network Credentials gives Incorrect Password

I have a desktop and a laptop with Windows 10, both with the latest updates. Neither of them have a local account; both are linked to my microsoft account. They both have the same file sharing settings where visibility and file sharing are turned on on private networks and they are both connected to the same network.

When I access my desktop's shared files via my laptop, I inputted my microsoft credentials and had no issues accessing my files. However, when I tried to access my laptop's shared files via my desktop, the very same microsoft account credentials were denied stating that the user name or password is incorrect. I connected my laptop to my desktop minutes before I tried the other way so there shouldn't be an issue.

I also double checked my microsoft account, and both devices are registered and 'Everything looks good'. I can also see my laptop listed under network in file explorer on both devices, where on the laptop itself, I can see the folders I've shared.

Please help me troubleshoot and get my desktop to connect to my laptop's shared files.

Edit:
    Things I've tried
    - Updated both computers to the latest updates
    - Identical file sharing settings
    - Restarting both computers
    - Reconnecting to the network
    - Manually inputting the userrname

:)

Elys_k, Feb 5, 2019

2. Network Credentials

Hi Sammy,

To assist you better regarding your concern with network credentials, have you checked the Windows credentials for any information about the username and password for the network credentials? If not yet, follow the steps below to access Windows Credentials
    manager.

• Press the Windows icon on the desktop.
    • Type in Windows Credentials.
    We would appreciate as well if you could provide us a screenshot.

Let us know how it goes.

Carlos Tin, Feb 5, 2019
  3. Microsoft Account Password Incorrect!

Thanks for your reply.

Like I said in the post before, I did not set up two-step verification. After the hard reset, when the account did not sync due to 'incorrect password', I tried to set it up and then accessed the MS Account with the app password but it still declared the
    password incorrect. I immediately turned off two-step.

Need help,

Sucharita.

Sucharita De, Feb 5, 2019
  4. Yaqub K Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft Account for Network Credentials gives Incorrect Password - Similar Threads - Microsoft Account Network

2. Sign in to Microsoft account gives incorrect password error but password is correct

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign in to Microsoft account gives incorrect password error but password is correct: I'm unable to sign in to Microsoft account, says password is incorrect. I changed the password and it is still showing as incorrect. As a result I am unable to unlock my laptop. Help!!...
  3. Sign in to Microsoft account gives incorrect password error but password is correct

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sign in to Microsoft account gives incorrect password error but password is correct: I'm unable to sign in to Microsoft account, says password is incorrect. I changed the password and it is still showing as incorrect. As a result I am unable to unlock my laptop. Help!!...
  4. Network Credentials Incorrect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Credentials Incorrect: I've been facing an issue with my second desktop this is not connected to MS account--will never be, and is on Local account, because it's an home PC with a single user.I usually fetch files from my main PC which is connected to an MS account, however, this time, it fails to...
  5. Network Credentials Incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Credentials Incorrect: I've been facing an issue with my second desktop this is not connected to MS account--will never be, and is on Local account, because it's an home PC with a single user.I usually fetch files from my main PC which is connected to an MS account, however, this time, it fails to...
  6. Network Credentials Incorrect

7. Microsoft Account login password incorrect

Microsoft Account login password incorrect: I am setting up a laptop i got for christmas, and I am setting up my user account I'm the only account on the laptop. But when i try to configure my settings I get the message - 'Next time you sign in to this computer, use your Microsoft account password'When I enter the...
  8. Incorrect Password Using a Microsoft Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Incorrect Password Using a Microsoft Account: I use a Microsoft account for my WIndows 10. I have confirmed that my password is correct by logging in to by Microsoft account online. However, when I wish to change my password locally, Windows still tell me that my password is incorrect. Seems like my local password is...
  9. Windows Security Network Credentials Incorrect

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Security Network Credentials Incorrect: When file sharing it asks me to enter my windows credentials before gaining access to the folder. On both my PCs I am using my Microsoft email account as an administrator account and tried using the password for that account and many variations of a username but it still says...
  10. "Incorrect" Windows network credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Incorrect" Windows network credentials: Been trying to connect to another PC on the same Wi-Fi network. Had some issues regarding the PC not appearing in the Network tab in File Explorer, but managed to fix it by navigating to Services and setting both, Function Discovery Provider Host and Function Discovery...