Windows 10: Microsoft account inexplicably changed to '.com.com'

Discus and support Microsoft account inexplicably changed to '.com.com' in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi community, I've had quite the stressful day of trying to login to my Windows 10 Laptop. The Microsoft account inexplicably changed the TLD to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Terrum, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Terrum Win User

Microsoft account inexplicably changed to '.com.com'

Hi community, I've had quite the stressful day of trying to login to my Windows 10 Laptop. The Microsoft account inexplicably changed the TLD to '.com.com' from '.com' and it locked my access out of my PC.

I tried using chntpw on Ubuntu to reset the password, tried 'resetting the PC' and factory restoring all to no avail (my laptop screen doesn't work, so I have to plug in my laptop to a TV/Monitor which doesn't actually show until the computer is booted up, so my options are very limited sadly). When I try to access Command Prompt when going to WinRE (SHIFT + Restart) the screen just stays blank.

However, somehow, my password just randomly started working (and I have a backup Administrator account now just so I can use my laptop). But now when I try to change my Microsoft account back to a Local account, it gets an error.

Two screenshots attached showing the account with the two .coms on the account name and the error I get when trying to go back to a Local account. Is there a manual way to go back to a Local account through registry or policies or anything?

Any help is greatly appreciated and I apologise for the bluntness of this post as I have been stressing about this for the whole day and need a break *Cool

Thank you!

:)

Terrum, Nov 20, 2015

2. "This PC" icon inexplicably changed to large red X and possibly related problems

Microsoft account inexplicably changed to '.com.com' [​IMG]

HP m6 laptop. This was a floor display at Best Buy and I got it with a fresh boot of Windows 10. I didn't experience any problems, but one day not too long ago, the icon for "This PC" suddenly and without an identifiable reason changed to a large red X.
    This icon appears for "This PC" on the desktop, in the File Explorer, and in Libraries Sidebar. Nothing appears to have changed other than that, and the folder is functional, with a right click and "Properties" directing to the System Control Panel window.

However, the other day, I turned on my computer. No WiFi in my system tray. No wifi button on the Action Center toggles. Went to settings, no wifi options in settings. The "Status" tab in Network Settings would freeze the computer every time I'd click it.
    Device manager says that the network card was online and functioning correctly. Tried to plug in ethernet.. no luck.. not even a setting. Opened Control Panel and the system would either freeze or the window would become unresponsive. Restarts revealed on
    Startup that there was an error involving SENS, and that it could not authenticate.

Tried to return to a previous state with recovery options. They all failed due to an "antivirus program" preventing recovery install, despite all antivirus programs being completely removed. At this point, I backed up a few things I needed to my Seagate,
    then I reinstalled Windows through "Reset this PC" in Recovery Settings.

That seemed to work for an hour, until, suddenly, the PC blue screened, with an error 0x0000034 ("The Boot Configuration Data file is missing.") I rebooted into setup and ran diagnostics, which then repaired a problem, and it restarted fine, back where
    I had left off basically.

After a fresh boot, it appeared that the "red x" problem had vanished, but after using it for a few hours, I noticed that the icon, again, was appearing as the red x.

What does this all mean? Not a newb, but a newcomer to Windows 10 at the very least, and tend to get slightly nauseated when trying to deal with Windows malfunctions, however, I'd really like to fix my computer, provided there's still something wrong with
    it, which is what I'm trying to assess. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Aaron

AaronMcCartney, Nov 20, 2015
  3. "This PC" icon inexplicably changed to large red X and possibly related problems

Hi Aaron,

It seems that you're having a faulty hardware issues. To help resolve your concern, we suggest that you update your drivers. Here's how:

• Select the Start
      menu button, type Device Manager
      , and select it from the list of results.
    • Expand one of the categories to find the name of your device, then right-click (or tap and hold) it, and select
      Update Driver Software
      . For graphics cards, expand the Display adapters
      category, right click your graphics card and select Update Driver Software.
    • Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
    • If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.
    If these steps don't work, try reinstalling the driver: Open
    Device Manager, right-click (or tap and hold) the name of the device, and select
    Uninstall. Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

If the issue persists, we recommend that you contact your device manufacturer for better assistance.

Do let us know if you have any other concerns.

Raymond Ave, Nov 20, 2015
Thema:

Microsoft account inexplicably changed to '.com.com'

1. Microsoft account inexplicably changed to '.com.com' - Similar Threads - Microsoft account inexplicably

2. Problema com contas Microsoft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problema com contas Microsoft: Estou no windows 11 e não consigo entrar no vosso site com a outra conta pessoal que tenho com este mesmo e-mail, que é a conta admin do meu PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problema-com-contas-microsoft/675fa770-89e5-4e52-bedb-76f1a355ebc1
  3. Problema com contas Microsoft

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problema com contas Microsoft: Estou no windows 11 e não consigo entrar no vosso site com a outra conta pessoal que tenho com este mesmo e-mail, que é a conta admin do meu PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problema-com-contas-microsoft/675fa770-89e5-4e52-bedb-76f1a355ebc1
  4. COM Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COM Problem: 7.4.2022PC Win 10 Pro + NordVPN disabled and Kaspersky Internet security - user is an administratorHello,There are a lot , 645 in a week, of these Error messages. OK, I am supposed to enable the permission - but is that really the solution and so, how do I change the...
  5. COM Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM Problem: 7.4.2022PC Win 10 Pro + NordVPN disabled and Kaspersky Internet security - user is an administratorHello,There are a lot , 645 in a week, of these Error messages. OK, I am supposed to enable the permission - but is that really the solution and so, how do I change the...
  6. Bing.,com

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bing.,com: I hate Bing.com. I think the newest Microsoft Edge looks better than the original, but I will not use it if I Bing automatically open when I open Microsoft Edge. How do I disable or better yet, completely uninstall Bing.com?I appreciate any information you can furnish to...
  7. COM Surrogate

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    COM Surrogate: Gostaria de saber se isso é um virus ou um programa legivel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/com-surrogate/78136555-aabd-40e5-ae6e-d2acdf4ccdad
  8. ?Microsoft Casual Games, com?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ?Microsoft Casual Games, com?: I opened the pre-installed Solitaire (win 10) on my laptop for the first time (for real) and was forwarded directly. the browser with the page "microsoftcasualgames, com" has opened. Is that normal? This has never happened to me in use. submitted by /u/Kirla_ [link]...
  9. Com Ports

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Com Ports: I'm having a problem with com port #5. It gives me a yellow sign with a quote. Whats happening is when I try to make changes to To my Mitsubishi GX 2000 software program for PLC logic controllers it tells me I have a problem with my comm port. I don't think I'm using a comm...
  10. changing com port designation

in Windows 10 Customization
    changing com port designation: I have a HP-Notebook that shows com ports 3, 4, 5. I am trying to connect to another device whos software only accepts com 1 or com 2. How can I change one of my 3 ports to a different com # ? Thanks...