Windows 10: Microsoft account makes networking more difficult?

Discus and support Microsoft account makes networking more difficult? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been using standard networking since win95, when it was so easy anybody could do it. It keeps getting more difficult. I had to learn in Win7 that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pmennen, Jan 14, 2016.

1. pmennen Win User

Microsoft account makes networking more difficult?

I've been using standard networking since win95, when it was so easy anybody could do it. It keeps getting more difficult. I had to learn in Win7 that you had to type in a permission name that wasn't even in the list "Everyone" and grant it the desired permissions. Seems pretty ridiculous but once I did it a dozen times I could do it without even looking it up. I just installed win10 on two of the computers in my network and when I tried to access shared folders I ran into the dreaded window that asks for a username and password. Usually this means you just screwed up one of the dozen or so networking settings that have to be just right, but after going over it many dozens of times I figured out that this was a new problem related to the fact that I now have a microsoft account. When the win10 installation suggested I create such an account it seemed harmless enough ... but big mistake! I wasted many hours in getting the file sharing to work. I didn't even know what user/password it wanted but it turns out I had to enter my Microsoft account username and password before the file sharing would work. So if a friend brings over his laptop and I want to share folders with him, not only do I have to give him my wifi password but I also have to give him my Microsoft account password!!! Does Microsoft really think people want to do this? I'm sure not, which means there is probably something basic I am missing. Can somebody explain this crazy state of affairs?

:)

pmennen, Jan 14, 2016
  2. TheKartz Win User

How can Microsoft make networking any more difficult?

Why does every new gen of windows make this worse? Seriously? Forcing passwords on everyone, some people don't like them.

All i want to do is put a file from this computer to the computer in the next room, and the easiest way currently is to go via the internet. I have checked no password sharing on both computers and still this piece of
    junk refuses to let me access the other computer without BS credentials? I don't need or want ANY passwords within windows ever, the way windows forces all this
    fecal matter on you is intrusive.

I had the network working fine on windows 8 / 7 but now that i've upgraded both to windows 10 its turned into a
    dookie nugget. I re-did all the sharing settings on the folders so anyone could read or write.

I have run all the diagnostics and they can't find any problems and i can't seem to setup a home network as its not detecting
    Jack Shizen.

Why is there not a much simpler set of menus in the network settings everything is so hidden. Could someone write an app for an off button for all passwords in windows. Security be damned, i don't need them, I'm sure i'm not the only one!

In the event that microsoft has no common sense, could someone just give me the run down on how to connect my computers to share folders and files. And if you look at your reply and it's over a page long then have a good
    think about that, why is it so long and how could we make this alot simpler? It doesn't take a
    rat infested monkey butt to work out that home networks are common and shouldn't be so difficult to setup.

Cheers,

Kartz

TheKartz, Jan 14, 2016
  3. How can Microsoft make networking any more difficult?

Hi Kartz,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that you are facing this issue.

If you are using a Microsoft account to login then you will have to type the password. If you are using a Local account then you have an option of not typing the password. You can use either an external drive to share files between computers
    or use OneDrive to share files.

Getting started with OneDrive: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/getting-started-onedrive-tutorial

A local account is an account that lets you sign in to only one PC. If you create a Local account, you’ll need a separate account for each PC you use. None of your settings will be synced between the Windows 8.1 PCs you use, and you won’t get
    the benefits of connecting your PC to your files, settings, apps, and services online in the cloud and accessible from anywhere. You also won't be able to download apps from the Windows Store without a Microsoft account.

Article for reference.

User accounts: FAQ: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/user-accounts-faq#1TC=windows-10

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jan 14, 2016
  4. linw Win User

As network manager you will need to set up the credentials on the friend's comp yourself. Windows Credential manager doesn't show the password in clear.

Same would go for your wifi password if you wanted to keep it to yourself.

5. bro67 Win User
    The live account does not make networking harder. It still works the same as it did with Windows 7.

bro67, Jan 17, 2016
  6. pmennen Win User
    Perhaps you are correct about that. I once had a program that allowed me to see what was underneath the asterisks or bullets that appear in place of the passwords. Maybe windows has gotten more secure lately, and this trick no longer works?

Still it would have been nice if Microsoft told me that this would be a consequence of creating a Microsoft account during the windows 10 installation. Then I may have skipped that step, or even if I had signed up for the account it wouldn't have confused me when windows networking requested a password for situations where one wasn't needed in the past.

Thanks for the reply linw.
    ~Paul

pmennen, Jan 17, 2016
  7. pmennen Win User
    Sorry bro67 I'm not sure I know what a live account is ... but if you are referring to the Microsoft account I was encouraged to get during the win10 installation, it certainly did make it harder for me. In windows 7, if I set things up properly a password was not required to access shared files on another computer in the network (using traditional networking). However now it asks for a password no matter how it is set up. It's true that one can save the credentials which means that the password doesn't have to be entered every time. Still it wasn't something I really needed or wanted. (Although it is somewhat less of a problem now that at least I know what it wants when it asks for this password). Perhaps I could have avoided this problem by using the "homegroup" style of networking, but there are a few reasons that I still prefer the so-called traditional networking.

~Paul

pmennen, Jan 17, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

A live account is exactly what Microsoft is forcing people to use to log into Windows 8 & 10. It is that thing called an email address for your Microsoft Live account and your password for the same.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft account makes networking more difficult? - Similar Threads - Microsoft account makes

2. Microsoft Account is difficult to work with

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Account is difficult to work with: I have two email addresses, and not long ago, I was having trouble logging in to my MS Account. All previous MS emails were going to one address, so I changed my profile to reflect this, and got a confirmationSomething is now messed up, as when I tried to log in, first the...
  3. Microsoft Account is difficult to work with

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Account is difficult to work with: I have two email addresses, and not long ago, I was having trouble logging in to my MS Account. All previous MS emails were going to one address, so I changed my profile to reflect this, and got a confirmationSomething is now messed up, as when I tried to log in, first the...
  4. why is Windows 11 making things more difficult in so many ways

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why is Windows 11 making things more difficult in so many ways: I have just ''upgraded'' to a new windows laptop running windows 11, I now cannot post comments on MSN, can type into the comments box but it simply will not post when send is pressed, also I cannot send any attachments successfully atached to emails in outlook live, any...
  5. Hidden Wifi makes more networks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hidden Wifi makes more networks: Every time I enter my SSID for my hidden wifi, another one pops upFor example, if my wifi is called 'Network' and if I enter the wifi's name into hidden network on windows 10, it will create a new network called 'Network 1' and it will keep going up each time I want to...
  6. Report: Microsoft makes it difficult to create local accounts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Report: Microsoft makes it difficult to create local accounts in Windows 10: Windows admins have options to create local or Microsoft Accounts when it comes to the operating system. The initial setup after installation pushes the Microsoft Account option but it was possible up until now to create to a local account instead. Microsoft has made it more...
  7. Microsoft keeps making things more and more difficult. I want to change my user name and can't.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft keeps making things more and more difficult. I want to change my user name and can't.: My installation of Windows 10 failed after a system restore. After days of trying everything to recover without success, I chose to leave the drive alone and connect a new SSD, then do a clean install on the SSD. I had no opportunity to create my login user name. Windows just...
  8. Microsoft deliberately making it difficult for me to obtain my account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft deliberately making it difficult for me to obtain my account: This comes as a result of 4 days of share and utter frustration and annoyance at the handling of my issue from 14 online staff and 4 calls . I created an account a few months back When i filled it out the personal details was not correct - I was in a rush and it was silly of...
  9. Microsoft deliberately making it difficult for me to obtain my account

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft deliberately making it difficult for me to obtain my account: This comes as a result of 4 days of share and utter frustration and annoyance at the handling of my issue from 14 online staff and 4 calls . I created an account a few months back When i filled it out the personal details was not correct - I was in a rush and it was silly of...
  10. Microsoft please stop making things difficult in Edge!

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft please stop making things difficult in Edge!: 1) When I open a new tab (in Edge) theres a very good chance I know what website I want to go to so why don't you make the url box viewable by default when you open a new tab? Why do I need to click the empty space to make the url box open? Whats the advantage of doing this?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what makes it difficult to log in the microsoft Account on the phonne??