Windows 10: Microsoft account security breach and home PC

Discus and support Microsoft account security breach and home PC in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi. Recently my gmail account was hacked (no 2FA enabled, big mistake). This gmail account was also used to create my Microsoft Account. I still have... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Pirozkhi, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Pirozkhi Win User

Microsoft account security breach and home PC

Hi.

Recently my gmail account was hacked (no 2FA enabled, big mistake). This gmail account was also used to create my Microsoft Account. I still have access to my Microsoft account,but I cannot change the password or completely delete it because it sends a confirmation e-mail to my lost gmail, and I got a one month lockdown (of accessing critical stuff) on my Microsoft account trying to change password withan alternative e-mail. Now at this point I have pretty much accepted the gmail being gone, and the Microsoft account as well.

My concern is what to do from this point on to cut the ties between my computer and the said Microsoft account. I'm worried that since I've been using my computer with this Microsoft account, could the hacker access anything important, such as stored passwords (for various websites and applications like Steam etc.) or saved files (things on desktop or other drives) if they manage to login to my Microsoft account from another machine. I have of course enabled 2FA on anything important after the incident, but I'm worried that continuing to use the same install of Windows might somehow keep updating the initial Microsoft account about what I'm doing on the computer, such as updating my passwords and saving them. I know I rather sound paranoid but that's exactly how I am right now.

What should I do? Do I need to format the PC and make a clean install with a completely different account? Or is there a reliable way of completely severing the connection between the Microsoft account and the current install of Windows?

Thanks.

:)

Pirozkhi, Oct 5, 2019
  2. mrgeek Win User

security or privacy breach at Microsoft

"years old original Skype account user name is "first.last". The new unauthorized Skype account user name is "coincidentally" my Microsoft Account user name which is just a unique string and when I created the Microsoft Account I used my gmail address as the string so it is "first.last@gmail.com"

If both account sign-ins are the same gmail.com address, there's no issue. By 'User name', are you referring to the name next to your avatar or the sign-in name? The other issue is which version of Skype you are using, the new Store app or the 'classic' Desktop. Here's a screenshot of what my upper L corner looks like in both versions. The L grab is from Desktop, the R from modern Skype app (no name next to avatar but click avatar, you see User name and email). They have the same sign-in email and the same User name next to my avatar if I Skype somebody. Post yours to clarify further.

Microsoft account security breach and home PC [​IMG]

mrgeek, Oct 5, 2019
  3. Edwin Win User
    security or privacy breach at Microsoft

The following is me having a conversation with myself using my LiveID that MS assigns to the Skype Store App automatically and the Desktop Skype with my Skype ID from years ago...

Edwin, Oct 5, 2019
  4. Microsoft account security breach and home PC

Bogus Security Breach Calls/Notices

You can be sure because Microsoft never ever makes such calls. There is no security breach but someone's trying to scare you into giving them access to your PC.

Frederik Long, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft account security breach and home PC

1. Microsoft account security breach and home PC - Similar Threads - Microsoft account security

2. Phone Link Security breach.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phone Link Security breach.: This is critical.I have turned off the app running in background but it still runs when the screen is closed down.If I disconnect from settings, the Phone Link App on my PC will simply reconnect.This is a massive security breach, as it means a hacker into my PC has automatic...
  3. Security breach

in Windows 10 Customization
    Security breach: I received a phone call telling me that my computer has been hacked by several people in China and that they are stealing my sensitive information. All that I would need to do to fix it and protect myself, is go to some website so he could access my computer. I hung up on...
  4. Fake Security Breach Phonecalls

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Fake Security Breach Phonecalls: I keep getting these phone calls from people with Indian accents claiming to be Micrsoft Security technicians calling to clear up a breach in my computer's security. I just got a call at 4:49 pm 2.4.19 from 1-800-892-5234. They keep calling from different numbers. I know...
  5. security breach in 365 and onedrive?

security breach in 365 and onedrive?: I purchased a subscription to 365 for myself and son so that we could use Microsoft office products such as PowerPoint and Word. He uses uSoft office for his studies at Texas A&M, I used office for my IP development work on the International Space Station. My son called me...
  6. Security Breach

Security Breach: These people have access to my Microsoft. I believe they changed the password. They have my password. I need assistance with changing my password. It will not give me access to change for thirty 30 days. As you can see they will have access to my information if I don't...
  7. Security Breach?

Security Breach?: I got a 'critical network' message and was provided a phone number to call into. Is this legit? I worked with someone for an hour and then things took a weird turn, have i been compromised?? Why can't I get a phone number to speak to someone live??...
  8. MIcrosoft Breach

MIcrosoft Breach: Got a phone call on July 23, 2018 regarding a Microsoft Breach and wanting me to call them back. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/microsoft-breach/ca978d47-2ca8-442b-807a-37418ea9b1f5"
  9. security or privacy breach at Microsoft

security or privacy breach at Microsoft: The Wells Fargo account fraud scandal is an ongoing controversy brought about by the creation of millions of fraudulent savings and checking accounts on behalf of Wells Fargo clients without their consent. Various regulatory bodies fined the company a combined $185 million as...
  10. Security Breach in Microsoft OneDrive: Please help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Security Breach in Microsoft OneDrive: Please help!: Hey guys, I'm running Windows 10 Pro and I've been wanting to remove Microsoft OneDrive from my PC because I'm constantly asked to "sign into" OneDrive at the bottom right hand of my screen. I read online that I can remove the OneDrive app by installing OneDrive from the...